Hoops and Tightropes (Open)

A fully functional gym, weight room, and state-of-the-art combat simulator.
Erin Cherrywood
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Faunus - Racoon Tail
Aura Color: Gold
Semblance Name: Vertigo
Weapon Name: Urumi Pendulum

Erin walked to the door of the gym to look over the fruits of two hours labor. She had decided to put up the most ridiculous obstacle course she could but also took care to make sure it was doable. She did every obstacle as it was laid to make sure moving from one to the next was possible which, admittedly took a lot of effort and left her more than a little tired before even trying the full course. Technically she'd done the whole course but not in one go. Either way it was done. There were jumps, targets, balance challenges, and more. She was pretty proud of her work.

Grabbing her water bottle she sat down on a bench along the wall and checked her scroll. She'd invited Kailyn to join in the shenanigans and it was about the time she'd suggested she come if she wanted to join.

While she waited she sipped her water and frowned at her pasty white legs. Usually she wore jeans and her hoodie but today she was in black gym shorts and a grey tank top which showed her lack of sun. It was pretty funny that she was so white given that she tanned really well, but somewhere along the path of growing up she'd taken to indoor hobbies to try to spare Bartok's eyes from the sun. Oh well. White, black, and grey were her colors anyway, might as well roll with it.
There is no such thing as justice, the best that we can hope for is revenge
Kailyn Keison
Race: Faunus (Crotalinae) - Pit Organs (internal)
Aura Color: Black
Semblance Name: Gravitas
Weapon Name: Daii Shonnara and The Fingers

"Oi, Errie-Cherrie, ya in 'ere?" Kailyn called out as she stuck her head in the door. "Ee-yup," she confirmed out loud when she spotted her friend.

Taking a moment to look at Erin's masterpiece, she floated lazily over to where the other Faunus was sitting. "I promise I'll come up with a better nickname for ya eventually, but after all those classes today, that's the best I got." Noticing a particularly long gap between two floating obstacles (at least, a particularly long gap for those many, many persons who were bound by gravity), she nodded at the course. "You run through this already? Color me impressed."
Kailyn's speech color is 99ff00.
Her theme song is a banger.
You can find EPs for all my characters here.
Erin Cherrywood

Erin playfully rolled her eyes as Kailyn called out to her, she couldn't remember having a nickname that wasn't from her mom and Bartok and this one totally felt like it was in the same realm of ridiculousness. Nevertheless, she was pretty happy to see her friend. As much as she valued her alone time she enjoyed spending time with Kailyn, she was just the right amount of silly.

"I dunno, feels like nothing will ever top 'Errie-Cherrie', it's pretty much untouchable." She joked capping her water bottle and setting it down.

At Kailyn's question she frowned a bit. "Man, I wish I'd done this in one go already. I did each obstacle as I went, so I know you can get from one to the other, but I have no idea how it's going to feel doing it all together." Her tail flicked absently behind her and she smiled a bit. "But it is beautiful. I don't think I have ever had access to so much stuff to make an obstacle course with. Bartok and I usually used whatever my mom had laying around and our last school didn't have anything to this degree."
Kailyn Keison

Kailyn smiled at Erin's reaction to the nickname. "Careful now, you say things like that and I might just lock that in my brain forever as your name," she teased with a playful wink.

At her friend's mention of the facilities at Beacon, she nodded vigorously. "No kidding. This place has got EVERYTHING - even a whole bunch of stuff I don't know how to ask for!" She hopped over to the panel and scrolled through the list of things Erin had brought out to make the course. "Seriously though, dude, this is nuts! When I want an obstacle workout, I just go off on an adventure outside somewhere - I could never put something like this together."
Erin Cherrywood

Wrinkling her nose in response she considered the idea of hearing the nickname every day multiple times a day. "I dunno... it's charming now but will the novelty last?" She joked.

"Oh definitely, when I was looking at the inventory list for the gym I had no idea what some of these things were called. It was easier to just look at things and decide for myself what I wanted it to do." Following after Kailyn she considered the idea of just using nature or the regular town as an obstacle course. "I guess I do things this way because I always did them with Bartok. I felt better being able to immediately go to him if he crashed or something." She frowned. "Aaaand that makes me sound like a total mom."
Kailyn Keison

"Will the novelty last? Absolutely not. Will the faces you make once the novelty wears off be amusing to everyone around you? Absolutely." Kailyn teased. "In all seriousness, though, 'Gravity Girl' got old after about two days. I'll try to think of something better, but for now, your name rhymes."

Kailyn's face broke into a wide grin as Erin described her reasoning for her preferred method of obstacle course design. "Eyyy, we got a mom friend!" She held up her hand for a high-five. "Dude, that's awesome! I was afraid the mom friend would have to be me for a second, and trust me, that would NOT end well." She laughed. "Seriously, the amount of times my little brother got himself hurt because I told him to 'go for it' instead of 'stop, that's stupid' are numerous and cringeworthy."
Erin Cherrywood

Erin started to wrinkle her nose at Kailyn but then realized that was exactly what she was poking fun at. Shaking her head she laughed and shrugged her shoulders. "That's a fair point. If it were the other way around I would probably go for the groans and sighs too."

She chuckled at the reminder of "Gravity Girl", it still made her laugh but if it were the other way around she'd be done with it too.

Giving a reluctant high five she shook her head again. "I had been hoping that I would be the dad friend, you know bad jokes and puns galore, but I guess keeping my friends alive by adjusting their ridiculous ideas to manageable shenanigans is okay too."

"I didn't realize you had a brother, what's that like?" She asked curiously. "I don't have any siblings and neither does Bartok so I don't even have the vicarious experience."
Kailyn Keison

"Manageable shenanigans it is, then," Kailyn agreed.

She thought for a moment about how to describe having a brother. "I guess having a sibling is kinda like a cross between living with your best friend and being stuck going places with someone you're obligated to spend time with? Sometimes it's the best thing ever, and sometimes you wish they'd just leave you the hell alone, y'know? It usually came out positive for us, though. We never really got into any big spats or nothin', and Arden's good in a fight t' boot. I kinda got lucky that way - I mean, sure, we beat the snot outta each other coming up, but that's what you're supposed to do, y'know? You get it outta yer system, n'then ya go back to gettin' along. I s'pose it's kinda like you and Barty, but if'n ya lived t'gether 'fore ya were friends, but also while you were friends?" She shrugged. "It really is somethin' unique, huh?"
Erin Cherrywood

Erin closed her eyes while she listened to Kailyn's explanation of having a sibling. It sounded pretty much the same as living next door to Bartok but more intense. "I mean... I guess we sort of live with each other. We live next door to each other and my mom sends me over to his place when the drunks get too rowdy and he comes over a lot during the day just to bug me." She was pretty sure it wasn't the same though, something seemed off fundamentally. Probably the fact that she was his backup wife should he not be able to find someone suitable. "I'd say maybe I'll find out someday but my mom isn't exactly the start a family kind of woman. From what she told me she wanted a kid, found a guy to give her one, and they went their separate ways." She shook her head in disgust. Her mom was a flirt with no intentions of settling down and her dad was the kind of guy who could father a child and then never be involved again. What kind of person was she going to be if genetics had a play?

"Do you think your family will ever visit while you're here?" She asked curiously. "I admit I am curious to find out how you fit in with the rest of your kin."
Kailyn Keison

Kailyn "hmm'd" at Erin's mention of Bartok's proximity to her when coming up. It sounded a lot like how she and Arden had come up, though with the obvious caveat that they could have feasibly chosen to stop spending so much time together had a reason to do so presented itself.

She couldn't hold back her chuckle at Erin's description of how she was conceived. "Your mom sounds fun," she said with a grin. "My parents are much more... traditional, which comes with its own perks and associated baggage."

At the mention of visits, she brightened considerably. "Oh, sure! They'll be along for the Vytal Festival for sure, and they'll probably try to throw some kind of surprise bash for my birthday. Arden's gonna be here next year for school, too, so I gotta make an effort to be the cool sister and make a bunch of friends - and if some of them are sketch a f, then that's obviously better." Shooting finger guns at Erin, she flashed a toothy grin and winked, then dropped her hands and sighed. "In all honesty, though, I really hope I can find a solid group of people here. I really don't want a repeat of my primary school days."
Last edited by Kailyn Keison on Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Erin Cherrywood

She paused to considered her mom's antics objectively and had to begrudgingly admit that she was likely someone people loved to be around. "Eeeeeh, I guess she is a real people person. She's got a bunch of regulars at the bar and the kids at the daycare like her hero show."

"Probably more eyes and regulations than I have." She suggested. "My mom is always on me about making Bartok a man so he can't run off and find someone else." She shared with a roll of the eyes at the memory.

"Oh, that's pretty exciting. By then you'll have plenty to show them and know all the cool spots." She imagined Kailyn running around with her family and decided it would probably be fun to watch. At the mention of her birthday Erin's tail flicked in interest. "Is your birthday around the festival?"

She wandered over to some hanging hoops and jumped to grab them and just hung on while she listened to Kailyn talk about her brother, who was older than Erin had guessed, and her desire to make some good friends before he showed up. "If nothing else you've got me, and I guess by proxy Bartok, so if you don't find anyone better we'll do in a pinch." She joked.
Kailyn Keison

"Daycare? Hero show?" Kailyn burst out laughing. "I was right, your mom is fun!"

She smirked at Erin's recollection of her mother's prompting for the former to 'seal the deal', so to speak. "Yeaaah, my parents wouldn't be too pleased if they found out I did anything like that, even if I'd known the kid for forever and a half like you and Barty." She paused long enough for Erin to see the wry smile that was breaking onto her face. "Whiiich is why I don't tell 'em what I do with my free time." She shot a pair of finger guns at Erin.

"I certainly hope so. If I don't know at least a few places that are just as awesome as the tourist traps then I've basically failed as a local, right?" Erin asked if her birthday was around the festival, and she shook her head. "Nah, I'm in mid-August and the festival's not 'till th'end o'th'year. I guess they'll be here twice!"

Erin grabbed a pair of rings, and Kailyn saw a golden opportunity to have a bit of fun. With a casual stretch, she adjusted her friend's gravity by 15 degrees. "In a pinch?" she asked incredulously. "'Ri, if you think ya ain't t'kind o'friend who I'd hang out with while my parents're in town, you're insane." She paused for a moment to consider what she'd just said - nicknaming an existing nickname? Niceeee.

"In other news, how much d'ya think the course would change if gravity stayed like this?" She floated up a little and matched her orientation to Erin's.
Erin Cherrywood

"Oh yeah, my mom heads to the daycare every Wednesday where she puts on a super hero show. Every now and again a kid gets to be a side kick. It's actually pretty fun." She smiled at the memories of the show. "I used to be a hero in the show, but that's back when I still wore bright colors."

Erin couldn't help but laugh a bit Kailyn's finger guns. They definitely lived in different parental spheres but it was fun to compare. Neither seemed better than the other, just different.

"You would definitely need at least a good hole in the wall food place so you don't have to wait hours on end." She instructed with a smirk.

A squeak escaped her lips as she was tilted a bit. She almost let go of the rings in surprise but realized it was Kailyn's semblance. She hadn't realized that it worked on others as well as herself. Shaking her head she refocused and smiled. "I admit I would be interested to meet your family. They sound... She paused, trying to think of the right word. "grounded?"

Looking over her shoulder she eyed the obstacle course. It would be weird as heck but also a fun challenge. "Do you think you could use your semblance long enough to get through it?" She asked curiously.
Kailyn Keison

"That's really neat. I bet the kids look forward to it all week." She smiled at Erin's mention of her past wardrobe. "What caused the wardrobe shift?"

"You wanna go exploring with me later and look for one? Or six? Can't imagine that there's only one in a city like this." The only hole-in-the-wall place she'd ever been to was a taco joint whose front door was literally a hole in the wall below another restaurant.

Kailyn laughed so hard she had to cancel her Semblance so she could double over. "HahahahaHAAAA! I know you weren't tryna be funny, 'Ri, but that was so-ho fun-neeheeheehee..." She flopped onto the floor and laid on her back, shaking with mirth.

Once she'd calmed down, she sat up and considered Erin's question. "I s'pose it d'pends on how long ya think it'll take ya. If I move along wiff ya as ya go you'll be in range t'whole time, an' if I just keep it stable and don't vary it wiv time I should be able ta keep it up for a coupl'a minutes at least, the Aura drain's mostly front-loaded. Aight, lezzee now, you're, what, 5'5", 150, you'd be 'tween 5'n'30 feet f'me..." She trailed off as her head leaned back slightly. After a few seconds, she nodded, rolling over to stand up. "Yeah, I can hold it. You could prolly run it twice 'fore I'd hafta call it quits, give or take."
Erin Cherrywood

"Yeah, the kids really love getting involved. It's especially fun when their semblances let them zoom around."

She considered the question. When did her choice in clothes switch? "Hmm..." Her tail flicked around behind her. "I guess when Bartok and I started at Signal. Girls can be pretty mean and judgmental when you enter your teen years." Her nose wrinkled in disgust at the memory. "Though I guess part of it is that my current color choice makes me more intimidating."

A small amount of drool started pooling in her mouth at the thought of hunting down good, small, food places and she smiled. "Absolutely. It would be a lot of fun."

Before she knew what was happening the semblances' effect on her cut off and she started swinging on the hoops as gravity took control. She smirked a little. "Unintended dad joke for the win."

Dropping back to the ground she wiped her hands on her thighs and started shaking her arms loose. "Good eye. Five four and one forty-five." Eyeing the course again she considered how much effort it had taken to do each obstacle while she was setting up. "Uuuh.... I guess I could probably make it happen in around three minutes or so before being tilted. I'm honestly not too sure after the shift. I usually fight dizzy not slanted."
Kailyn Keison

"Yeeeaaahh, girls can be pretty awful," Kailyn agreed, remembering her own time at Signal. She fist-pumped at the acknowledgement of food-hunting, wondering who else they could convince to come with them. There was always Bat-Boy, but the idea of an all-girls expedition didn't sound so bad, either.

"If you can do it in three, then y'might be able to run it thrice. I can probly hold it for about ten minutes, depending on how much Aura I've got back from when I floated around the library earlier today." Erin mentioned that she was used to fighting while dizzy, and she quirked an eyebrow at her. "Your Semblance some kinda vertigo thing, then?"
Erin Cherrywood

She shrugged in dismissal. "I guess that's why most girls don't have many lady friends. A lot of girls are back stabby and cruel." She smirked a bit. "That's why you gotta keep the good ones when you find 'em."

She arched an eyebrow at her. "Do I want want to know why you were flying around the library?" She asked, more than a little amused.

She blushed a little and scratched her nose. "Ah, I mean yeah, but probably not the way you think. I mostly get dizzy because my fighting style relies a lot of jumps and twists, but my semblances forces a sense of vertigo onto my opponent. I only get dizzy from that if I overuse it."
Kailyn Keison

"We gotta stick together, then, 'Ri. Us girls gotta look out for each other, ya know?"

Kailyn took on a look of mock offense and put her hands on her hips. "Why was I avoiding touching the ground in a library? I'll have you know that flying is IM-MEASURABLY quieter than walking, thank you very much!" Her face broke into a wide smile. "Couldn't keep a straight face, but that really IS why. I do possess a sense of consideration for others, you know." She cocked her hips to exaggerate her mock annoyance, then relaxed and stuck her tongue out at Erin.

"I am 3 for 3 with being 'not quite' with my guesses today, aren't I?"
Bartok Evergreen
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Faunus (Vampire Bat)
Aura Color: Blood Red
Semblance Name: Bleed and Drink
Weapon Name: Coiled Sting

"Not quite!" Bartok said loudly before pushing open the doors to the large room. He had heard the conversation from down the hall, though no one else could have. He took a few whiffs of the air and two clicks of his tongue before he turned towards Erin and Kaitlyn. "Do I smell the sweat of two hot girls working out in here? Oh, hello Erin! And who's this lovely?" He asked, then immediately added, "That's 4, by the way. The same number of times I'd like to take you both out to dinner." He snapped finger guns at the both of them.

Bartok was wearing his usual attire, though he had three buttons undone, not the classic one or two.
Last edited by Bartok Evergreen on Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erin Cherrywood

She had to admit it was really nice to have another friend, a girl at that, around and it was quickly becoming clear that it was a friendship to be protected. She actually enjoyed spending time with Kailyn, enough to go out of her way to make up a reason to hang out again. "Of course."

She laughed and covered her grin at her exaggerated stance and offended tone. It was hilarious watching her try to act all uppity. "Okay, that's fair. It is quieter to fly around." Rolling her eyes she pointed at her tongue. "You shouldn't stick that out unless you are gonna use it." She teased.

The gym door opened and suddenly the humor drained from her face, replaced with one part surprise, two parts horror, as Bartok sauntered in and made use of his silver tongue. "Has anyone ever told you it's rude to try to woo two girls at once?" She asked staring cooly at him.
Kailyn Keison

"Take us both out to dinner at once, eh?" Kailyn asked Bartok, her eyes narrowing and a mischievous expression forming on her face. "You're on. You can pay for me and 'Ri as we go looking for good hole-in-the-wall food stalls in Vale! But yes, rude. Especially to both their faces at once."

She wasn't normally one to let someone pay for her meal unless they were... involved, but if Erin was there, she'd kinda be third-wheeling... "I'm Kailyn, by the way. I think we met, like, once back at Signal? I saw you two running around a lot, anyway. And 'Ri," she added, crossing her arms behind her head and stretching for Bartok's benefit before turning to shoot a look at Erin and planting her tongue firmly in her cheek, "I'm perfectly capable of using this ol' tongue of mine, if'n that's what yer implyin'."
Bartok Evergreen

Bartok smiled. "They always say it's rude but always accept. Always odd." He turned his head to Kailyn as she stretched and... he wished he could see. Though he knew that stretching in what he presumed to be athletic clothes right after a guy hit on you was a good sign.

As she continued he started slowly nodding his head. "Yyyeah, I think I remember your voice. For formalities, I'm Bartok." He would give a slight bow with his head before listening to what she said next. "What happened with you two? Because I would love to get in the middle of it." He said smoothly as he walked to the beginning of the obstacle course.

He remembered how Erin would set these up back at Signal every now and then. It had been somewhat odd for him, constantly having to click his tongue or use his footsteps to map the place out. Although it had never been a whole lot more difficult that running and jumping through the forest. "Mind if I take a shot at this?" Bartok asked, already unbuttoning his vest. "Erin always makes the best courses."
Erin Cherrywood

When Kailyn accepted Erin had to stare a bit with eyebrows raised before she realized it would be cheaper if they didn't have to pay. "Okay. You got me on the financials." She admitted holding her hands up in surrender.

Turning her attention to Bartok she sighed. "I'm gonna go on limb here and say they accept for the same reason we did, it's better than having to pay yourself."

She laughed at Kailyn. "I dunno, could be all talk like my partner here." She said with a nod towards Bartok.

At his compliment she gave a dramatic bow. "What can I say? I aim to make people work out."
Kailyn Keison

"Free food always tastes better. Issa proven fact." Kailyn flashed a grin at Erin when she quipped about her being all talk. "Talking does require the use of my tongue, though. If anything, it's good practice." She turned to Bartok. "I'll save your imagination the trouble and tell you that nothing's happened. Yet." She waggled her eyebrows at Erin suggestively, mischievous grin back in full force.

Speaking of mischief... "Only if you're okay with doing the course under alternative gravity. That's how 'Ri's doing it, anyway."
Last edited by Kailyn Keison on Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bartok Evergreen

"I'd be paying anyway, so no real difference to me." He said with a shrug. He snapped finger guns at Erin's bowing form. "That's right. It's thanks of you I have this splendid physique!"

Then Kailyn mentioned 'alternative gravity'. Bartok froze as he was rolling up one sleeve, his left bat ear twitching. "Alternative gravity?" He swallowed. He couldn't even see the course, and she wanted him to run it without down being down? But if he wined and complained, he wouldn't get the bragging rights, the others would once he completed it, saying that they knew he could. If he wanted to be impressive, he'd have to take the challenge as if it were nothing.

He resumed rolling up his sleeves and rolled his shoulders. "Sure, no problem. What sort of alternate gravity we talking?" He asked, making a few more clicks with his tongue to help map the thing out. This was going to be a challenege...
Erin Cherrywood

"Hey you don't always pay, sometimes my mom feeds us." She complained in embarrassment. "And I would pay if I could be trusted with money. Alas someone needs to grime it up for me beforehand or it just sits in my room in a shiny pile." Sighing she shrugged at her own incompetence. No point in worrying about something that wasn't gonna change anytime soon, her brain was just wired weird. "And my stupid card has a life of its own and always walks off."

"I guess that we'll have to see how much all that talks helps prepare you for more important things." She teased, regaining her usual sass.

"And yet I am here with way less muscle mass, what a crime." She lamented looking at her arms. They had definition but nothing like Bartok. It took way too much effort and meal planning for her to build mass.

Raising her eyebrows she tilted her head slightly and watched Bartok's ear twitch. He was a proud guy and it must be hard for him to admit the change in gravity would be weird, but she'd learned at school to not say anything about potential limitations - it was for him to decide what he could do, not her.
Kailyn Keison

”It'd be the same as though we tilted the entire course by about 15 degrees - you'd be running it 'downhill', so to speak."

Erin sent some sass her way, and she waggled her eyebrows at her suggestively. "Oh-HOH," she said, "is that an invitation?"
Last edited by Kailyn Keison on Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bartok Evergreen

Bartok got somewhat ready to run the course. Having the tilt be forwards to make it downhill was a whole lot better than if it was sideways or something. Once he was oriented, his echolocation should be able to guide him through just fine. He made it maybe two steps before he slowed down, turning his head between the two.

"Is there something much more interesting that I should be paying attention to other than the obstacle course?" He put a hand to his shirt collar, muttering, "I do have this open a few buttons, right? I must look sexy right now..."
Erin Cherrywood

((I'm moving Erin over to pink text since so many people I RP with have red))

Erin smiled a little. The fact that the obstacle course was downhill helped ease the worry she felt for Bartok. She didn't really want him to get hurt trying to show off.

Kailyn sent some sass back at her and she slid over and wrapped an arm around her waist. "Maybe, you seem like the kind of person I could have fun with." She smiled up at her but froze when Bartok chimed in.

Rolling her eyes she stepped away and put her hands on her hips. She opened her mouth mouth say something but stopped.

Sauntering over she stood in front of him and placed her hands on his chest. "Nothing for you to worry about." She purred while buttoning up his shirt.
Kailyn Keison

Kailyn returned the side hug with a wide grin. The fact that Erin could take her teasing and throw just as much back, and could even redirect it at others, was awesome. She could hardly imagine the shenanigans they'd get up to, but she knew it would be fun all the way.

"Unless you want to worry about it," she called up to Bartok as Erin fixed his shirt. "Don't worry too much, though. I dunno if Erin could stand it." Turning a neat back handspring, she flexed her shoulders before walking over to stand near the front of the course. "Ready when you are, Barty!"
  • Information