Fang and Claw [PM For Invite]

A fully functional gym, weight room, and state-of-the-art combat simulator.
Nym Magenta
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Faunus (Fox, Tail + Ears)
Aura Color: Magenta
Semblance Name: Foresight
Weapon Name: Whisper

Nym managed to crack a very small smile. Terra could talk. She wasn't totally incoherent or speechless. That was good! She was resilient enough not to burst into tears, either. The fox scooted just a little bit closer and placed a hand on Terra's. A strange, static-like feeling, as if her hand was about to fall asleep spread across her palm. It wasn't irksome enough to get her to jerk her hand away or respond with surprise. Maybe she'd ask Terra about it later. For know, she had to make sure she cleared the air about what had just happened.

"Why? 'Cuz you didn' beat me? S'not what we were tryin' t' do 'ere." She gave Terra's hand a small squeeze. "Ya did exactly what'cha were s'posed to. Y' used yer dust. Twice. First try n' ya did it. That's good." The girl might have been feeling a little defeated by how quickly she'd been taken down to the red, but how could she have expected anything differently? Then again, she didn't really know what Nym's qualifications were. "Terra, please don' feel bad 'bout 'ow things turned out. There's a real big gap between what I've done n' what you 'ave. 'Fore I came t' beacon, I was taught 'ow t' fight by a real 'untsman. Took me unda' 'is wing, trained me up like I was...gonna be 'is partna'. Was about three years I worked with 'im. Then I ended up...strikin' out on me own. Fer anotha' two years I 'ad t' live on me own as a wanderin' faunus girl in Mistral. No fam'ly t' 'elp me. No friends. Think y' can imagine 'ow I managed t' survive. And I've been studyin' 'ere fer longer'n you 'ave, too. Right now, yer jus' learnin'. It's some tough bloody lessons yer takin', but yer learnin'." She crossed her legs, adjusting how she was sitting to something a bit more comfortable.
Terra Fennel
Race: Wolf Faunus (Ears and Tail)
Aura Color: Lavender
Semblance Name: Sal Norn
Weapon Name: Peregrine

The static feeling in her arm grew as the fox placed a hand on her confirming that she hadn't just been imagining the scar acting up this time. Not for the first time she wondered if the lightning dust embedded in her skin would ever lose its charge and fade away. She balled her fist and focused her aura so that she didn't accidentally shock Nym. The girl was trying so hard to reassure her that it wasn't a failure. To some degree, she knew that, but if Nym had taken her down so easily, how could she expect to even begin to catch up? Fighting beside Ax against grimm was one thing, but keeping up with the two of them in a real fight where their lives were on the line? She'd just slow them down.

“I knew I wasn't going to beat you. I wouldn't insult you by thinking otherwise. I've not even beaten any of my classmates, and we're first years. I just expected to be better at avoiding you for a bit.” Her hiccups were finally under control and she felt less likely to hurl. Her aura was already passively at work repairing what damage had gotten through her aura. There was more than a little gap between them. Even the time they'd spent wandering was vastly different.

“The man who taught me how to use dust and control my aura so well was a huntsman once. He taught me for years, but he never really taught me with serious fighting in mind. Well, not for very long before he...” Terra shook her head and sighed. Did she even have the potential to do more, to really become stronger and faster than she was? “Me becoming a huntress was sort of a last minute decision, and I think it kind of shows. I don't even know if I'll be able to repeat what I did here in a fight. Dust is all about intent, but that wasn't anything like what I'd expected.”
Nym Magenta

"Ya did just as well as any first year would'a done 'gainst me. N' you'll get betta'. This ain't gonna be like sparrin' matches with them. I c'n do a betta' job tellin' ya what's worth doin' n' what ain't. Fightin' against people who're better'n you's a chance t' learn." She let go of Terra's arm and placed her own palms against the floor, leaning back against them. "Sparrin' in class is only gonna teach ya as much as yer teacher'll put inta' it, n' they ain't all as good at helpin' out as the next one is, but while I'm 'ere, 'm focused on you." She wasn't sure how much she'd be able to pick Terra's spirits up. They both knew she had a lot to work on and a long road ahead of her. They both also knew that she was committed to it. If she wasn't would she have agreed to something like this with someone she just met?

"First off, really, y' did good. Goal was t' get ya t' use dust, n' you did. F'you 'ad betta' control ova' it, fight would'a lasted longer. Makin' a sword t' block with n' a wall t' take cova' behind's good. If this ain't a fluke n' you can keep usin' dust like that every time we do this, you'll make progress. And we don' always 'ave t' fight like this neitha'. Usin' dust ain't the only part'a fightin' I c'n teach ya somethin' 'bout." Nym nodded down at Terra's feet. "Be careful 'bout jumpin' when yer fightin' anyone. F'you don' 'ave cova' or y' can't change direction in air yer just makin' yerself an easy target. Once ya get betta' at usin' dust or ya get some piece'a equipment t' change yer flight path s'okay t' make more air stuff 'appen, but a good fighter's jus' gonna see a bullseye at yer ladnin' spot."

This was the part that she wasn't sure Terra was going to like to listen to. They'd never done this before. Nym didn't know how well Terra was going to take direct, blunt feedback. She wasn't going to be mean about it, but mincing words didn't help someone recognize where they could make changes. "Was good you were tryin' t' stay away from me. Bein' able t' know when t' stay outta reach is good. S'easier with some opponents than otha's, figurin' out where they're most dangerous, but ya did figure that one out right away. Jus' don' panic. Think. Keep thinkin' the whole time. I shoulder checked ya 'cuz I knew you were watchin' Whispa' n' you were afraid'a it, wouldn't be payin' attention t' the rest'a me. Other'n that, I can't say ya did anythin' too wrong. Yer fightin' with one armed tied be'ind yer back. We'll work on it, but those two things're really the only mistakes ya made. Ask me questions if ya got 'em. 'Bout this, 'bout anythin' yer thinkin', don' matta' what it is. Even if ya think it sounds dumb t' ask, ask it. It ain't dumb. Not usin' the resources in front'a ya is the only dumb thing y' could do."
Terra Fennel

“No kidding.” Terra moved to cross her legs underneath her and leaned forward with her tail to one side. If nothing else, there was no reason to doubt what Nym was saying about how sparring with her would lead to more progress. Months of matches against other students had resulted in nothing as far as her dust casting was concerned. It made her better at avoiding danger without her dust, a better crack shot with her pistol, but dust was where she would always excel. While it had done nothing to change the outcome besides her getting out of this match without a serious injury, she had used dust... Unfortunately she didn't understand exactly what had happened.

“Usually, I'm augmenting my movement with dust. Skating on ice, changing trajectory midair with wind, gravity, or sometimes even fire. I can actually make some of my aural threads solid enough to spring off of them but,” Terra hesitated, shame evident in the way she glanced away. “I did like you said. I panicked. I just wanted to get away, catch the breath you'd knocked out of me and get as far away from Whisper as I could.” Nym's words were softer than those of the man who trained her or even the professors who had tried to help her with this issue. That only made them somewhat easier to take.

“I can't think of many questions that I think you could answer right now. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how I used my dust there. I mean, I've created weapons before, claws around my hands, spear or scythe like chunks of ice to cut up grimm, but never something quite that detailed.” It was similar enough to Vesper's weapon that she felt there could have been some influence, but he'd never used a katana as far as she knew. Someone else had though. Maybe she could get some answers there. One question for Nym did come to mind. “Actually, um, I do have a question. How did you learn to use a chainsword like that? I-I've fought someone...” She stopped herself and shook her head. “Okay, more accurately I ran away screaming because my dust didn't work then either, until someone else saved me, but if they'd used it like that, I wouldn't be having this conversation.” As it was, Vesper had barely saved her back then.
Nym Magenta

Ah, that was a question she didn't really want to answer in great detail, but she also didn't want to lie to Terra. The girl was earnest and honest in equal measure so far. It was perhaps a bit risky to confide any great detail in her right away, but she'd already let a little bit slip when they'd been talking before and it hadn't discouraged her. No, even after showing Terra just how much of a killer instinct she had the girl hadn't seen fit to run from the training room. "Don' think eitha' of us know what'cha did there. When we do this from now on, s'prob'ly a good idea t' try n' focus in on whateva' that feelin' was. When ya feel pushed t' the point y' can use it, really think n' feel on whateva' it is goin' through yer 'ead when it 'appens. Sooner we c'n figure out what that feelin' is, sooner we c'n get'cha t' use it wheneva' ya want." Not every training session would involve that, but she'd mentioned that before. There were other, less intense things that Nym could teach her. Draining her aura every day would be exhausting.

But that wasn't the question that Terra had asked her. "And, uh...t' answer yer question..." Nym trailed off, her eyes drifting towards the door of the room as she spoke. "I was...personally trained, one on one, in, uh...sessions not too...dif'rent from the one we jus' 'ad, by an 'untsman who was..." She trailed off, staring towards the door for a few, long seconds. "'Ceptionally skilled. Cold. Calculatin'. N' 'e taught me t' be jus' like 'im. Brutal n' ruthless. Efficient n' violent. Fer hours 'e'd 'ave me swing it, move with it, jump with it, perform acrobatics, 'till the movements didn't need thought. 'Till every complicated acrobatic move I know was no dif'rent than walkin', so I could focus on the ki-...on the fightin'. So my thoughts could be 'bout what t' do next, where t' move, not 'ow t' do. Then I spent years usin' them skills, and..." She looked at Terra, hesitance in her eyes. One hand rolled back a sleeve to show an arm covered in scars of every shape, size, and source. "Learnin' the 'ard way what not t' do."
Terra Fennel

“I'll probably have to spend more time in the library again to find out.” There were things she could feel even without her semblance linked to a person. She didn't need her semblance to feel empathy with a person, to know that she'd asked a question that had brought up unpleasant memories and thoughts. There were simple things, little words or moments that could happen at any time that could remind her of some of the terrible things she experienced in her life. The same was true for others. Oh, how she'd nearly lashed out at Ax for saying she knew what Mantle was like despite living in Atlas, and how wrong she had been in accusing her of not knowing. She'd learned something important though. Even the most unlikely people had stories she couldn't know at a glance.

Terra listened to Nym speak, her eyes following the vixen's gaze to the door. There were things better not overheard, especially if they were coming from a faunus's mouth. It wouldn't take much for someone to assume either of them were or had been a terrorist. They'd be right with at least one of them, and it wasn't the girl sharing some of her past in that moment. It sounded familiar in an awful way. Nym had been used as a weapon hadn't she?

“Sounds almost like my brother, except he never wanted me to fight. Just put him and those he did teach back together when they was done fighting. Still, I'm sorry you had to deal with a bastard like that. No one deserves to be treated like a tool.” It was hard to look away from the scars on Nym's arms. Terra had always been a remarkable medic, quick to identify wounds, their sources, and how to treat them. Each scar spoke a word clearly in her mind. Fire. Bullet. Knife. Teeth. Each whispers a sad truth. None of them had a healers gentle hand easing their pain, treating the trauma. Her fingers were working at the top two buttons of her blouse, opening it just enough that she could pull it aside with her left hand. Matching the fractal scaring of a lightning strike on her hand was evidence the strike had gone all the way up her arm to her heart. “He wasn't happy about me learning how to use dust, so he stomped my hand while I was holding a crystal. Wanted to scare me away from it.”
Nym Magenta

Nym never knew what to say when someone said they were sorry she had gone through such a horrible ordeal. It never made her feel any better or worse. It was as if the other person was checking off a box on a social list. Someone has said they dealt with something hard and traumatic, offer condolences, check. Then again, what else could they do? It wasn't like Terra was going to start asking her about exactly how awful those experiences had been. Nym wouldn't have told her anyways. Maybe she should have just kept her mouth shut instead of sharing so much. She rolled her sleeve back down. They'd both struggled. They both knew what the struggle was like, different flavors of the same horrible experience.

Was it a trick of the light, or did the scar seem to glitter? Knowing exactly what it was might have colored her perceptions. The jagged lines were familiar to her. She'd been struck by raw lightning dust before, but those wounds had healed without leaving a permanent mark. "Sounds like a real piece'a shit," Nym said flatly. "You don' gotta put up with no one like that 'ere though. N' if anyone gives you trouble lemme know, I'll knock some sense into 'em. Same thing if ya don' feel safe goin' somewhere sometime, jus' tell me. I'll 'elp." There was no fixing what was in the past. What's done is done. You could stop history from repeating.
Terra Fennel

Little did the fox know it wasn't merely a social checklist, but a hint at a shared fate. As much of one as the wolf was brave enough to give in the moment. It was easy to pick up the pieces of the puzzle Nym had given. Her wounds hadn't been cared for. They were meant to be lessons burns and carved into her flesh. Just like her own scar. Even beyond her own, she'd seen it with her own eyes, when she'd been pushed away from someone who would have benefited from her healing touch so that they could remember how they'd failed. So they could learn it the hard way, and they'd be discarded if they failed at that.

“I wouldn't be so sure of that. Maybe not the same kind of shit, but there's a lot more crappy people here than I thought there would be.” Terra shook her head and redid the buttons on her shirt. “I'm sort of an easy target until I get this whole dust thing sorted out. And while it would tickle me pink to watch you beat the ever loving hell out of some of them, I'd rather you not get in trouble on my behalf. Not when you're already helping me so much.” There would also be a twisted sense of satisfaction if she figured out how to use dust against them. There was one particular student she owed a particularly humiliating ass-kicking to.
Nym Magenta

Nym furrowed her brow at Terra, obviously displeased by the response she was getting. It was predictable. When it was her first year at Beacon she'd told Ax the same thing, but the bird had gone out of her way to punish anyone that talked shit about her, to her face or otherwise. Sure, there'd been trouble as a result, but it was never anything that Ax couldn't get herself out of or otherwise handle. While Nym did not have the social aplomb of her feathered friend, she was just as willing to take punishment for the right cause. What kind of huntress just say by and watched others suffer when they had the means to make it stop.

"Oi," her tone was more insistent. "'M serious, 'ere. You really don' 'ave t' put up with shit like that. If people know we're friends then you ain't an easy target anymore. You know 'ow scary I jus' looked? Imagine 'ow I'd be if I was really mad. Think anyone's dumb enough t' make the mistake'a pissin' me off by pickin' on you twice? 'Sides..." Once again her eyes tracked over towards the door to the training room. "I know what kinda trouble I'd be signin' up fer."
Terra Fennel

Terra's ears twitched back like she expected to be scolded the moment the “Oi” left Nym's lips. In an odd way, the fox was scolding her but not because she'd done or said the wrong thing. So often she'd been on the bottom of the pecking order wherever she went that others treating her like she was worth something, anything at all, was something to hang onto and cherish. Still in the pit of her stomach it reinforced a doubt that she kept having. What good would she be as a huntress if people kept having to protect her? How could she protect others when people were busy protecting her? Would it keep twisting at her thoughts until she gave up? She was afraid it would.

“Okay, I believe you.” The wolf subconsciously tried to make herself seem smaller where she sat by keeping her arms close, her head slightly bowed, and her tail tucked close to her leg. “If something happens that I can't deal with I'll let you know, and they can get a taste of what I did here.” She didn't even know if she was telling the truth. Right now, there wasn't a student in the academy she could deal with if they gave her trouble, and half the time it was her own mouth that got her into the thick of it for standing up for someone else like Nym was offering for her now. At least someone obviously had the fangs and claws to back it up. It felt like she was muzzled when it came to a fight right now. Even so, she didn't want Nym or anyone else getting in trouble on her behalf.
Nym Magenta

It was easy to see the girl tuck her tail between her legs. It may as well have been a fireworks display to someone as well-versed in faunus physiology as Nym. Maybe she'd been a bit too stern for Terra's comfort, but she needed to hear what Nym was saying, damn it! Developing your own sense of self esteem wasn't easy. Letting yourself get tossed about by shitty people who wanted someone to look down on was a hard habit to break. Nym had only done it thanks to someone else's helping hand.

"Good. Yer just as valuable t' this university n' this world as I am and no one's got the right t' treat ya otherwise. The world needs people like you. And...damn it, I like ya, too, n' the thought'a someone pickin' fights with my friends don' sit well with me." Nym blew out a huff of a sigh. "Right, s'enough lecturin' at'cha. I know it ain't easy t' jus' accept 'elp from someone ya barely know, even if they're a bloody menace 'bout givin' it. Any otha' questions ya got fer me?" She was pretty sure that's how they'd gotten here, Nym answering questions. If Terra was all out, they could maybe segue into splitting up or just doing something else together.
Terra Fennel

Terra fought against her normal instinct to cast doubt on what she was worth. Now wasn't the time or place for it. Not when Nym would possibly see it as her casting doubt on her as well. If she'd not already had her aura taxed, she'd have likely pushed herself to get up and try again to use her dust, because until she fixed that, her value to this academy felt questionable at best. Even her combat professors had shared those thoughts, so it wasn't as if there wasn't some truth behind it. If she was part of a team though, it would give her some more time and more of a chance to fix it. Until then though, she'd be struggling to fight that feeling of being defeated in more than just training matches.

“No, I don't think I have anymore questions right now. Thank you, Nym. I mean it.” Had her actual question been answered? She wasn't so certain, but she didn't waste their time by asking it again. Instead she pushed herself to her feet, trying poorly to hide the stiffness she felt from their short fight. There was still a dull ache in her abdomen from where Nym had hit her with her shoulder and then shot her. She'd be bruised, but nothing serious at least. Terra glanced around the room, evidence of their sparring match only visible in the places where Whisper had bit into the floor or evidence from the weapons gunfire. If the fox hadn't confirmed it, she'd wonder if she was remembering right that she'd actually used her dust. “We accomplished more than I'd even considered when I stopped you to talk.”
Nym Magenta

"Try not t' look so glum about that, eh?" Nym followed suit with Terra and stood up. "And, uh, we don' 'ave t' do this every time we 'ang out y'know. Figure we ought t' do more'n jus' fight if we're gonna be on a team." Fighting was an important part of it, but learning how to exist together mattered too! Being cohesive on the field meant having trust, and you couldn't build trust without spending quality time together.

"What d'you like t' do fer fun, anyways?" They'd already spent a good chunk of their afternoon on each other, so Nym wasn't going to force herself on Terra if the girl needed to cool off alone, but who knew? Terra was probably the most honest student she'd come across that wanted to have something to do with her and Ax. There was value in putting some effort into getting to know her better.
Terra Fennel

“Sorry, not trying to be gloomy. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around everything.” It was mostly the truth. She glanced down at her hand that had held the handle of the sword. Even the cold had ebbed away to be mostly forgotten. There was a nagging feeling of guilt from even doing what she did in their match, but it would fade. It had to. Terra's cheeks puffed up briefly before she blew out a short but sharp breath of air. Dwelling on it right now wouldn't do her any good. She needed to do some research. For now, she'd give Nym her attention.

“Usually, I just wander the city, listen to music, or read a book. I've got a stack from the library I've been going through. It's nice that they don't just have academic books. Don't really have the money to do much else, especially if the library didn't have options.” She probably sounded like the most boring girl alive, but she couldn't even afford going out for a drink unless she stumbled across someone else's misfortune in the form of missing lien.
Nym Magenta

Wrapping her head around their matches was going to take time. She'd need repeated exposure and a little bit of her own research to make it work, but she would get there. Time and practice were all that was left to bring out her skills. If Terra could do it once, she could do it again. She had the way, she needed the will, or at least she needed the will on a subconscious level.

"I've got some 'omework I gotta take care of. F'you wanna do somethin' low key 'm prob'ly gonna be in the library fer a bit doin' that. No pressure, though, you've already spent plenty'a time on me t'day." It would also help people associate Terra with her if they were seen together in public. It would be enough to get those who were only looking to prey on the weak to keep their distance. Her reputation had come far enough to provide some amount of protection. If that failed, well, she still had her fists to do some talking.
Terra Fennel

The opportunity to put the training room behind them for today was a welcome one, especially if their next stop would be the library. It didn't matter so much to the wolf that they would both be more involved with their own thing and the words between them would be few and far between. Nym's presence would be a welcome one, as long as it didn't involve having to be on the receiving end of her sword. Today had gone well enough, but if they trained more in the future, that blade would catch her eventually. Terra's tail already had some sway returning to it at the idea.

“You're talking like I should be tired of you or something. I'm definitely tired of training today, but it'll be nice to spend time with someone, even if it's quiet. Besides, I've got a few books I'm done with that I can switch out. Maybe I can convince one of the librarians to let me check out one of the restricted books on dust even.” Terra worried at her bottom lip with her teeth for a moment before shrugging. “I'd even offer to help with your homework, but I doubt I'd be of any use.”
  • Information