Ax L. Rose

A collection of the previously approved/denied character's applications complete with feedback posts for future reference.

Do you approve?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 5
Ax L Rose
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Faunus - Major Mitchell's Cockatoo - Feathers
Aura Color: Electric Blue
Semblance Name: Harmonize
Weapon Name: Electra Heart + Rebel Yell

Past Experience: I've been roleplaying via forums, MMOs, text chats, and other mediums on-and-off for approximately 20 years.

Roleplay Sample:

The last month had been a hectic one. Adjusting to the new cybernetic limb was a big part of it - regular visits with a doctor, regular checkups on the cybernetic mount, regular tinkering on the modular components... she'd been so busy tweaking her new arm and adjusting to her new responsibilities at the workshop that she'd been wearing herself down. Every morning it got tougher to get up and commit to her usual routine. Maybe it was starting to get bad again. Today she'd taken some shortcuts - she'd done a lazier, lighter job on her makeup and she'd tied her hair back into an asymmetrical ponytail instead of bothering with getting her hair to look good loose.

It'd been months since the last time she'd just... gone out and killed some time in the gardens. She used to do it a lot whenever she'd been feeling lonely before, and she was definitely feeling lonely this time too. She'd stopped on the way out the door to shoot her Nym a short text, because another thing she'd realized is that she'd barely conversed with her best friend in the last several weeks. They were both really busy, but that didn't make Ax feel less guilty. Usually she was better about making time for Nym.

She'd picked a familiar spot - a little gazebo not too far from a patch of trees and flowers in the gardens where Nym had once taken shelter in a storm. Ax remembered slipping and stumbling in the muck, dropping her guitar case and fretting over the cleanup, just in time for someone in the peanut gallery to find it funny. Nym had very graciously helped though, even after Ax had put the fear of god into her with a look. Oh, memories...

She brought Electra Heart along and rested it on her knee as she took a seat. She looked out over the walkways - it wasn't super busy out here at the moment. Electra Heart shifted into acoustic mode, the strings shifting into place automatically as it activated. There were flickers of bright blue light visible even from a distance as she began to play in the shade of the afternoon sun.

She didn't really expect to attract too much attention as she lazily began to strum her guitar to a beat issued by the headphones around her neck. She also didn't really expect her singing to attract much attention by now either - surely the students of Beacon recognized her voice by now well enough to find it less curious.

"I'm not angry anymore,
Well, sometimes I am.
I don't think badly of you,
Well, sometimes I do...
It depends on the day,
The extent of all my worthless rage...
I'm not angry anymore.

I'm not bitter anymore,
I'm syrupy sweet;
I'll rot your teeth down to their core
If I'm really happy..."

She let out a low chuckle with the words, before carrying on. This was a cover, but it felt pretty fitting for her, didn't it? She didn't want to be bitter or angry anymore, but, well...

"It depends on the day,
If I wake up in a giddy haze.
Well, I'm not angry...
I'm not totally angry...
I'm not all that angry anymore..."
Bartok Evergreen
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Faunus (Vampire Bat)
Aura Color: Blood Red
Semblance Name: Bleed and Drink
Weapon Name: Coiled Sting

Wow, isn't that a backstory! I'm uncertain if Bartok's own Semblance of Bleed and Drink would counter her Semblance or double it's effects on him. But either way, I love it! I didn't know we could make characters who weren't first years. Reading her profile also made me really want to have my teacher character concept interact with her, I feel that they would get along really well.

You do have her with a cybernetic arm, and it's not really said where she got her injury. I'm assuming she got it when the bomb went off at her concert, but you never mention an injury.

Still, I vote Yes
Myron Hyles
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Human
Aura Color: Turquoise
Semblance Name: Sleeping Spell
Weapon Name: 40 Winks

I was tempted to just write "electric guitar halberd" to justify my Yes vote.

The detail in this is astounding, she's obviously well thought-out. Small things like the Dust feathers on her artificial arm make her seem that much realer. Honestly, all of it is excellent (plus I'm partial to long and fleshed out backstories).
*Drawls in #82E6E6*

Theme song / Extended profile
Ax L Rose

Bartok Evergreen wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:09 am
Wow, isn't that a backstory! I'm uncertain if Bartok's own Semblance of Bleed and Drink would counter her Semblance or double it's effects on him. But either way, I love it! I didn't know we could make characters who weren't first years. Reading her profile also made me really want to have my teacher character concept interact with her, I feel that they would get along really well.

You do have her with a cybernetic arm, and it's not really said where she got her injury. I'm assuming she got it when the bomb went off at her concert, but you never mention an injury.

Still, I vote Yes
Thank you for your feedback! We would have to talk it out sometime to figure out how our character's semblances interact, but I generally err on the side of going with whatever makes a given scene more interesting. As for Ax's limb, "Ax’s dominant arm (from just below the elbow) was lost in battle and has been replaced by a custom-built cybernetic arm," is about all I really say in this currently. Her backstory is already pretty long but I may add the circumstances behind the lost limb on my next iteration to her backstory.
Myron Hyles wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:15 pm
I was tempted to just write "electric guitar halberd" to justify my Yes vote.

The detail in this is astounding, she's obviously well thought-out. Small things like the Dust feathers on her artificial arm make her seem that much realer. Honestly, all of it is excellent (plus I'm partial to long and fleshed out backstories).
Thank you! I have been working on Ax for around 3-4 years now, so what you see here is the product of quite a lot of time, testing, and development. Ax has been active on other RP communities in the past, so she's really just looking for a new home, so to speak.
Citrine Locke
Aura Color: Neon Green
Semblance Name: Glitch
Weapon Name: Ex-Machina and Verenium Strýchnos

YES! I LOVE MY FAVOURITE ROCKATOO! Obviously obviously you know I adore her so of course I want to say yes. (Is my opinion biased? That's a good question. Good thing there will be other voters haha). So, like, while I really do want to say yes, and probably Will say yes, there are still some things I want to mention.

My main concern is, speaking as someone with outside knowledge, I know the full extent of Ax's skill set and gear, so I know how powerful she is. While her skill level makes sense given that she's a third year, this site is primarily comprised of first years and in general people with lower power sets. Meaning, there is a risk of Ax coming off as OP in comparison to everyone else on site. This does not necessarily affect my vote on her approval, I would just say that, knowing her full potential and knowing the types of characters she would be up against in combat, you might want to keep in mind what the general power level of this community is so as not to seem over powered or untouchable. I know we discussed this already and that you said you have no intention of using her in combat threads, but I thought I would still mention this here to see if anyone else had any thoughts on the matter.

The other random little thing I noticed, which isn't a critique lol, is you've listed her birth year as 1901. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think, for simplicity's sake, we're having the site set in align with the current year, meaning her birth year would be 1999 (i think? I can't do math lollol).

Other than that I think she's good to go and you have my approval :)
"Let's roll out!"
Ax L Rose

Citrine Locke wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:01 am
YES! I LOVE MY FAVOURITE ROCKATOO! Obviously obviously you know I adore her so of course I want to say yes. (Is my opinion biased? That's a good question. Good thing there will be other voters haha). So, like, while I really do want to say yes, and probably Will say yes, there are still some things I want to mention.

My main concern is, speaking as someone with outside knowledge, I know the full extent of Ax's skill set and gear, so I know how powerful she is. While her skill level makes sense given that she's a third year, this site is primarily comprised of first years and in general people with lower power sets. Meaning, there is a risk of Ax coming off as OP in comparison to everyone else on site. This does not necessarily affect my vote on her approval, I would just say that, knowing her full potential and knowing the types of characters she would be up against in combat, you might want to keep in mind what the general power level of this community is so as not to seem over powered or untouchable. I know we discussed this already and that you said you have no intention of using her in combat threads, but I thought I would still mention this here to see if anyone else had any thoughts on the matter.

The other random little thing I noticed, which isn't a critique lol, is you've listed her birth year as 1901. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think, for simplicity's sake, we're having the site set in align with the current year, meaning her birth year would be 1999 (i think? I can't do math lollol).

Other than that I think she's good to go and you have my approval :)
It makes me really happy to receive such an enthusiastic greeting!

I am not sure how I feel about the implication that Ax somehow is something other than what I've presented her as in her current profile. I haven't deliberately concealed any aspects of her combat style or general capabilities. Is there something you consider important that I might have forgotten to mention? It would help me to know what parts of my work provoke this impression or feeling you get regarding Ax's implied skill/power level for when I revise this profile. I'd also like to clarify something about what I said to you when we talked one-on-one: Ax isn't necessarily completely off the table for combat or action-oriented threads. Part of what I meant by what I said to you is that it's highly unlikely that Ax will be participating in much combat because she will only ever be a Freelancer.

Regarding her listed birth date, I simply assumed the year wasn't important, as I don't remember reading anything about the calendar in any of the rules. If it were possible to simply not list a birth year, I'd do that.
Citrine Locke
Aura Color: Neon Green
Semblance Name: Glitch
Weapon Name: Ex-Machina and Verenium Strýchnos

I am not sure how I feel about the implication that Ax somehow is something other than what I've presented her as in her current profile. I haven't deliberately concealed any aspects of her combat style or general capabilities. Is there something you consider important that I might have forgotten to mention? It would help me to know what parts of my work provoke this impression or feeling you get regarding Ax's implied skill/power level for when I revise this profile. I'd also like to clarify something about what I said to you when we talked one-on-one: Ax isn't necessarily completely off the table for combat or action-oriented threads. Part of what I meant by what I said to you is that it's highly unlikely that Ax will be participating in much combat because she will only ever be a Freelancer.
As I mentioned in my post, my comment on Ax's skill level is based on the perspective of having outside knowledge. In other words, I've seen how you describe her gear and skill set, you've talked in depth about her high combat proficiency and her versatile combat style, I've seen the way you use her in combat encounters, etc. Of course, I don't know how, or if, any of that will copy over to here. As you mentioned, her profile doesn't really go into that stuff, so I can't know how older examples, explanations, and discussions about her power set will show up here, if at all. My comment was less to do with what is explicitly listed in your bio, and more regarding things I knew outside of her bio, as I wasn't sure how, if at all, any of that outside stuff would be brought into your bio/roleplay? It was less of a "this is something I saw in her bio..." and more of a "I know this has been the case before..." as I wasn't sure what it would look like here.
"Let's roll out!"
Al Ciendra
Race: Faunus (Wolf-Ears and Fangs)
Aura Color: Orange
Semblance Name: Volcanic Heart
Weapon Name: Arcum and Gladio

It's easy to see how much effort was put into Ax, she's got one hell of a backstory which activly made me feel with the character, her weapon is just bloody awesome and her design is also super pretty!

I have nothing else to add but one question:
You mention that Electra Heart's blade can unleash explosive force, so my question is if you mean a literal explosions or just a very strong and fast swing ?

Regardless of that answer Ax get's a yes from me.
Al chatters in #FF5500
  • Information