Bartok Evergreen

A collection of the previously approved/denied character's applications complete with feedback posts for future reference.

Approval?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 5
Bartok Evergreen
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Faunus (Vampire Bat)
Aura Color: Blood Red
Semblance Name: Bleed and Drink
Weapon Name: Coiled Sting

1. Are you 18 or older? We want to know if anyone is under 18 years of age. Being under 18 will not bar you from participating in our community. Rather, this will allow us to gauge who is acting inappropriately toward minors.
Yes, yes I am.

2. Do you have past experience with collaborative writing or roleplay, and if so, roughly how much? You can be brief. This is intended to help us provide useful feedback in your approval.
Many years of writing and roleplay experience on different platforms.

3. You may include an optional (SHORT!) Roleplay sample for people to read that gives a feel for your character in writing.

[OOC: This RP Sample and Bartok's backstory include a girl named Erin, who is a character who will be coming shortly to the site]

The graduation after-party was in full swing in Signal's gymnasium. The lights flashed and strobbed through a rainbow of colors as all those who had graduated and their dates danced. Everyone was dressed up tonight in their most formal, and in some cases most revealing, clothes. Bartok, of course, took no pleasure in the tightly packed ground near the front of the room, more grinding on eachother than dancing. This finely dressed young man instead had won the hand of a fairly cute girl and was near the back, going through the steps of a waltz. He easily made her laugh and smile as they talked through their dance, and Bartok was loving the interaction. The room was dark enough that he could see alright despite his poor eyesight. Even with the music blaring, the sound of her voice and feet on the ground were loud enough for Bartok to see what he needed to see.

Until her boyfriend arrived. Bartok didn't even know the girl was taken, she had given no indication of such. But a strong hand pulling Bartok back sharply along with a shout of dissapproval made it very evident. Bartok got this sort of reaction sometimes. A lot of the times. Most of the time. Bartok didn't need to listen to the exact words the angry guy was spitting at him, he had heard them enough. He apologized and the girl was gone. Bartok half-heartedly snapped finger guns at thier departing backs, only half of his mouth curling into a smile.

He stood there at the back of the dance hall and suddenly felt alone. Cold.

Bartok stuffed his hands into his pockets and stepped outside to lean against the wall. He breathed in the cool night air, letting it refresh him from the stuffy wet air inside. It was always like this when he was left alone. Everything inside him just... died. No more excitement, no more happiness, no more longing. Empty.

Bartok's large ears picked up footsteps approaching him, and he recognized the gait. It was his old childhood friend, Erin. She leaned against the wall with him, and that's all he needed. Somebody else there. With just one more person, he didn't feel dead inside anymore.

A toothy grin spread across his face and he snapped finger guns at her. "Why don't we shimmy until that dress falls off?" He asked.

"You mean dance until we go to our seperate dorms?" Erin replied. "Gladly." He couldn't see her, but he could hear the smirk on her lips. And then the graduation night was no longer so dull.
SheidelII

Bartock Evergreen is a Vampire Bat Faunus with his traits being the large ears (and fangs?). You mentioned in his physical description that he relies on echolocation, making sounds with his mouth and fingers to determine his surroundings. I think it’s implied that it’s his bat ears that let him do that, but I would like it if you explicitly state that his ears are what grant him the ability to use echolocation when talking about his Faunus traits so that it’s clearer how he can do that. Less room for confusion.

His Semblance, Bleed and Drink, is an interesting one, feeding on emotion to fuel his combat abilities. What I’m wondering is if it drains emotions in the sense that the targets become sapped of it, like going from a state of elevated aggression to calm or neutral. Some explanation to clear that aspect up. Draining emotion to recharge his Aura is somewhat questionable for me as the only Semblance that can recharge Aura we know of from the show has an ability solely regard Aura while Bleed and Drink seems more focused on emotions, but I’ll leave it for more discussion. Also, if I’m understanding this right, and correct me if I’m wrong, does Bleed and Drink simply invigorate Bartock with the emotions he drains such that he maintains that kind of state of mind, directly affecting his mental state? Something like making him feel emotions that aren’t his own? It's more for helping me understand it.

That’s all I’ve got. Just a bit more work and it’s a ‘Yes’ from me.
Bartok Evergreen

Updated! Made sure to put what his faunus traits are and made his Semblance more clear.
SheidelII

Would activiating Bleed and Drink while facing an opponent with no particularly powerful emotion within them cause Bartok's Semblance to deplete his Aura faster than its ability can recharge it? Bartok Evergreen is pretty much good to go, but I'm just checking a bit more into his Semblance's mechanics.
Bartok Evergreen

I think emotions/feelings of competitivness could also be fed upon. I put in there that those who are cold and calculating ruin Bartok when his Semblance is active. Though, Bartok could try and cause them to feel something, like fear or panic with relentless attacks, or anger and hate by attacking a teamate of theirs or something.
SheidelII

Those are examples of extreme emotions, weak or strong, but I'm wondering what effect moderate emotions have when interacting with Bleed and Drink. Since you wrote that his Semblance rapidly depletes his Aura, I'm wondering if strong emotions are needed to make up for the cost for Bartok to refill his Aura reserves or if moderate emotions, not powerful or weak/absent, are not enough to make up for the drain it puts on him, such that prolonging a fight would be out him at a disadvantage. Or is that what you meant when talking about cold and calculating? I'd like that distinction made for clarity. Apologies if this comes off as too nitpicky.
Bartok Evergreen

I don't know what you would distinguish as "Extreme" and "Moderate" emotions in a fight, as you aren't normally trying to kick someone into the dirt and feeling anything in a "moderate" proportion. It's safe to say Bartok isn't using his Semblance in light-hearted bouts and cafeteria foodfights.
Myron Hyles
Race: Human
Aura Color: Turquoise
Semblance Name: Sleeping Spell
Weapon Name: 40 Winks

For Bleed and Drink, while it is a bit tricky to gauge how strong an emotion is, I think it'll be an interesting challenge to do it by reading other's posts.
As long as it doesn't affect other's emotions, I'm cool with it.

As for the rest, it's all unique and cool ! A character with a bow and echolocation is a good idea. The fact that a big part of why he joined Beacon was to follow someone is interesting too.

So Yes.
Kailyn Keison
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Faunus (Crotalinae) - Pit Organs (internal)
Aura Color: Black
Semblance Name: Gravitas
Weapon Name: Daii Shonnara and The Fingers

You've got my 'yes'. There's a surprising lack of ranged-focused characters both on the show and in roleplay settings.
Carmine Crest
Race: Human
Aura Color: Gray
Semblance Name: Crisis Control
Weapon Name: Cadel and Maria

I really like the character idea, long ranged sniper with poor eyesight sounds like a recipe for friendly fire but incorporating the faunus traits gives it an interesting and unique style. Even outside of combat potential, a lonely jokester is always an interesting story to follow along just to see who can crack the shell so to speak, assuming anybody even can so I'm looking forward to seeing that plot line develop.

For the reasons I stated and the fact that I can't seem to find anything that immediately catches my attention as worrying, I'm giving this a yes.
Fuchsia Iris Ükhel
Race: Faunus (Black Cat, ears and tail)
Aura Color: Purple and pink
Semblance Name: Witch Way
Weapon Name: Orchid

Yes from me, there's something to be said for the plain-jane characters without major traumatic backstories and stuff. I always like to see it, and he's even got a wholesome little bit in there with Erin. He's almost like a charming bard or something, I'll look forward to giving RP a shot with Bartok :>
Vlithra Qing Long
Race: Faunus (White Tiger, stripes and pale skin)
Aura Color: Viridian-Green
Semblance Name: Kinetic Discharge
Weapon Name: Viridian Naraka and Carnassial Talon

Bartok certainly seems unique. He will certainly bring forth very interesting situations and I look forward to that. So you get a yes from me.
  • Information