Myron Hyles

A collection of the previously approved/denied character's applications complete with feedback posts for future reference.

Approval ?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 3
Myron Hyles
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Human
Aura Color: Turquoise
Semblance Name: Sleeping Spell
Weapon Name: 40 Winks

Hello, thanks in advance for your opinions,

18 or older ?
Yes, I am above 18.

Prior experience ?
I have played tabletop roleplay games on and off for five years, but I never took part in play-by-post RP. Also, English isn't my mother language, so if my writing feels weird at some point, feel free to tell me.

RP Sample ?

Block, parry, hit. Parry, feint, kick. Block, parry...
Myron stopped after repeating the pattern for the twentieth time, leaning his arm on his training partner. Muscle memory training was dull, but it was necessary, and he had nothing better to do. He pushed himself off the willow tree and took a look at the thick bark, cracked and uneven after years of abuse.

His father was on a mission tonight, and all of his friends at Pharos were preparing for exams. Nobody to play video games with, no sparring partner, and no motivation. He should've been preparing too, of course ; his grades weren't good enough to get away with failing an exam. And honestly, he'd tried, but after reading the same line ten times in a row, he figured that late-night cramming would yield nothing.

Here he was in his house's backyard instead, fighting with a tree. Or fighting on a tree, really, since it wasn't going to dodge or fight back anytime soon. He could try to bother his friends until they reluctantly logged in to play a game or two. He'd considered it, and he knew it would work too, but he wasn't so inconsiderate as to ruin their exams.
"If I can memorize five ways to beat dad by heart, why can't I just remember how to calculate muzzle power ?", he lamented while settling back into his fighting stance.
Block, parry, hit. He tried again to remember the damned muzzle power formula. Parry, feint, kick. No such luck.
"Well, there goes my GPA...", he sighed. Early-morning cramming was a terrifying prospect.
Fuchsia Iris Ükhel
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Faunus (Black Cat, ears and tail)
Aura Color: Purple and pink
Semblance Name: Witch Way
Weapon Name: Orchid

Before I give you a yes vote I wanted to address some things about his Semblance:

So in the description, although you can infer it from context clues, it doesn't actually *say* exactly what it does. It mentions a Beowulf will faint after only 3 seconds of exposure to his Aura, but this isn't quite clear. Does it make them fall asleep, or does it make them faint and fall unconscious? Falling unconscious through blacking out is different and far less pleasant than merely falling asleep. I think it would be a good idea to directly say exactly what it does.

Another thing to think about is the time requirements. A lot of the time it's actually better to not specify exact quantities when it comes to time, because in a realistic sense these won't always be accurate or down to the last second. It's usually better to be vague such as saying "A Beowulf will fall asleep after a very short time of exposure" or "it drains his Aura in only a few minutes after continuous use". Being explicit is going to be a lot harder to follow in roleplay, for example how do we know when five minutes has passed in RP? Time is kinda abstract in RP, so it might benefit you to factor that in.
Myron Hyles
Aura Color: Turquoise
Semblance Name: Sleeping Spell
Weapon Name: 40 Winks

Alright, I've made some corrections.
I hadn't thought about the falling asleep/fainting difference, but it works like an anesthetic, so it makes people fall unconscious.
About the times, you're probably right, although I wanted a way to show how much less efficient it is against Aura users. I guess it's better to show that "in practice".
Bastion Sandstone
Aura Color: Sandy-tan
Semblance Name: True Grit
Weapon Name: Diplomacy

I vote yes(and wow, I thought MY profile was pretty good, but you and Fucshia's blew mine out of the water), but would like to see maybe a sentance more on how his semblance and dust don't work together. I'm not sure if Dust would make tranquilizer darts more or less effective, and on who, Myron or who he has used his semblance on. The wording isn't very clear with that. Also, as Fuchsia said, how exactly it works could be explained, if vaugley. Saying that it can dull nerves to inactivity could work, or if you want to focus specifically on pain or feeling, you can just say what you have already, "it works as an anesthetic and dulls the feeling from the nerves in the places he touches all the way down to completely numb. Used on the brain, however, it can't kill a person but can only make them black out for a little while."

I really like the idea of the Earth Dust bullets as well, hitting and making rocks to slow down an opponent because mass. Thumbs Up.
Kailyn Keison
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Faunus (Crotalinae) - Pit Organs (internal)
Aura Color: Black
Semblance Name: Gravitas
Weapon Name: Daii Shonnara and The Fingers

You've got my 'yes' :) - I like that he has clear motivations for attending Beacon, even if they're a little self-centered ('I don't want to go back there and watch people die') at the moment.

I think he and Kailyn would get along quite well as sparring partners as both heir fighting styles both center on close-quarters combat and their Semblances serve as foils for each other - direct contact between them being undesirable makes things hard on her, and her high mobility will push him to improve as well.

Based on their similar interests, they'd also likely make good friends were they ever to meet - just be sure not to mention his father's first name! ;)
SheidelII

It's a 'Yes' from me.
I enjoyed your description of his Semblance and its workings as well as how Myron approaches combat situations. Looking forward to seeing what you do with him in threads. Seems like you have a good handle on this character.
  • Information