Phlox Fessenden

A collection of the previously approved/denied character's applications complete with feedback posts for future reference.

Approve?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 2
Phlox Fessenden
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Faunus (Vampire Bat ears and fangs)
Aura Color: Indigo
Semblance Name: Reverb
Weapon Name: Reqium Avengement

I'm not a pessimist; I'm a realist. And reality is often pessimistic
Al Ciendra
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Faunus (Wolf-Ears and Fangs)
Aura Color: Orange
Semblance Name: Volcanic Heart
Weapon Name: Arcum and Gladio

Phlox looks like a solid character so far, an ever driven musician wielding a sound manipulating semblance is very interesting, buuuut he has a few minor issues.

His semblance.

Sound does not travel in beams.

Changing a sound to sound like something else should be a much easier feat than creating a soundwave that can push a person.

And he himself using those soundwaves for movement sounds risky, considering how as a bat faunus a sound that strong may actually permanently damage his own sensitive hearing.

Also a barrier of sound?
No.
Phlox clearly relies on stealth and deception, also allowing him to create a barrier just makes his defensive utility ridicilous.

I won't vote no for these issues, as I like the rest of his profile but simply abstain from voting until they are adressed.
Last edited by Al Ciendra on Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Al chatters in #FF5500
Phlox Fessenden

That's all? Thank you, I have worked on it, hope it's better.
Professor W B Copperfield
Race: Human
Aura Color: Transparent light blue
Semblance Name: Forzare
Weapon Name: Foci and Rod

So... ok, few things I want to point at.

1. Cellos. Cellos are big bois. One turning into a crossbow feels more akin to a ballista than a crossbow. Thats a beefy unit of a crossbow. Plus, the holster on his back for it? It's probably his own size! Unless, because this is Huntsman weapon, it has some sort of collapsing mechanism to make it smaller. Additionally, a cello... does he play music during a fight? Use his Semblance with a cello bow to blast musical soundwaves at people? Or is simply a big transforming club that fits the sound theme and nothing else?

2. Bat Faunus? Nice, I have one of those. But a Sound Semblance? Sure he can make things quiet around him, but sound goes in all directions. Once he amplifies something, and because he can only manipulate a sound with 5 meters of himself, it seems like he might get hurt more than anyone else. I get that the direction of sound can matter a lot, like if you've been to a music concert you know the difference between standing infront of a speaker and to the side, so is this principle how he protects himself? Is he able to manipulate multiple areas/sources of sound at the same time? Make his footsteps silent but his fingersnapping the sound of a gunshot? It says he can manipulate the source of sounds, so he couldn't put a bubble of silence around his ears and everything else loud, so that's a problem. Also, "35cm wave" is not clear what you mean. Is this line, like a wave on the shore, that is 35 cm wide? Or like a frequency wave of 35cm, making it incredibly low pitched? Not sure what this means and any repercussions of such a thing.
Phlox Fessenden

I thank you for your valuable insight on this

1. Yes, I forgot to add, it can collaspe, using multiple folding mechanisms, into a slightly larger guitar. The alloy is also a lot less denser than iron or such and no, Phlox's so garbage at actually playing the cello than he decides not to even try it in battle.

2. Yes, he can control multiple areas/sources of sound at the same time, if they're in his radius. Yes he can make his footsteps silent but his fingersnapping the sound of a gunshot. No, he can't manipulate the source, only the sound coming from said soure i.e. he can make the sound of a pin dropping from silent to loud, but not the pin and I decided to change the waves to pulses.

Any more questions?
Grise Heldar
Race: Human
Aura Color: Grey
Semblance Name: Blessed touch
Weapon Name: Nyctophobia [and side knife]

C'mon, Batman faunus, how cool is that ? Plus, we need more rogue characters, I feel like
Al Ciendra
Race: Faunus (Wolf-Ears and Fangs)
Aura Color: Orange
Semblance Name: Volcanic Heart
Weapon Name: Arcum and Gladio

Well besides a small gramatical issue in the semblance description:
"Lastly, Reverb can utilize infrasound to cause nausea and disorientation, givng his oppo"

Everything has been adressed by now so I think Phlox has earned himself a yes vote.
Al chatters in #FF5500
Professor Fiona L Caligo
Race: Owl Faunus
Aura Color: Radiant White
Semblance Name: Lux and Void
Weapon Name: Circadian

Since Phlox now has enough yes vote for approval, this topic is going to be locked and moved to the approval archive, welcome to the forum.
  • Information