Pearl Essence

A collection of the previously approved/denied character's applications complete with feedback posts for future reference.

Approved?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 2
Pearl Essence
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Fox Faunus (Ears)
Aura Color: Silver
Semblance Name: Philosophers Catalyst
Weapon Name: Citrine Bevel

1. Are you 18 or older? We want to know if anyone is under 18 years of age. Being under 18 will not bar you from participating in our community. Rather, this will allow us to gauge who is acting inappropriately toward minors.

Yes.

2. Do you have past experience with collaborative writing or roleplay, and if so, roughly how much? You can be brief. This is intended to help us provide useful feedback in your approval.

To start, I've been RPing in tabletop games like pathfinder and D&D (originally AD&D) when I was younger. I've been doing Forum RP for 7 years, most of which has been the RWBY setting. I've RPed in FF14, WoW, and several other games as well, and helped form or foster RP groups.

3. You may include an optional (SHORT!) Roleplay sample for people to read that gives a feel for your character in writing.

As far as missions went, a security node check was as routine as they came. It was a task that a group of first years could do without a huntsman shadow, and many upperclassmen could and often did handle alone. That was how the silver-haired fox preferred it. It was an undeniably simple task that allowed her a chance to unleash hell on any grimm she found to vent her frustrations and to make sure her section of the security network was experiencing no errors or malfunctions. Unfortunately, this wouldn't be such a time. Late fall was the time of year when the first years were to be educated on some of the things that kept Beacon and Vale safe as well as testing their survival skills, and that responsibility fell on her.

Pearl stood with the upperclassmen, her ears twitching every time Professor Aka called out a new pair, a first year and one of her group, to partner up. It wasn't the professor's voice she listened for. Instead she focused on the voices of the students as her eyes scanned her scroll to double check the route. Many of the students sounded anxious, but there were a few voices that talked of high hopes about running into dangerous grimm so they could “Show the newbies how it was done.” It was a hope she would share if she didn't have to be mindful of her own weaknesses. Combat in general may have come easily to her, but teamwork was where she was weakest. She needed to make sure the poor soul stuck with her didn't end up injured or worse.
That alone was the reason the vixen had geared up as if she was going on a mission that would involve far more danger. No prototype weapon rested on her hip or across her back. Instead Citrine Bevel, her most trusted and first weapon was stuck into the ground beside her. It's presence earning far more whispers than the light armor that had been added to her combat outfit. Small overlapping plates of metal, serving as greaves and arm guards protected her limbs. Even her prosthetic was guarded by extra steel. It all likely seemed archaic and useless since many believed aura protected just as well or better than older armors.

“Felix Satou,” That name caused the fox to look up from her scroll, curiosity for who he'd end up paired with more enticing than reviewing the security information for her route for the third time. “will be paired with Pearl Essence.” Her scroll was slipped away immediately and she bent down to grab her mission pack. With it slung over her shoulder, she tore Citrine Bevel from the earth and sought out the musician. No doubt he thought he'd gotten lucky with this assignment, but she couldn't help but worry that he was going to be in for a bad time.
Nym Magenta
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Faunus (Fox, Tail + Ears)
Aura Color: Magenta
Semblance Name: Foresight
Weapon Name: Whisper

I like just about everything presented here. Interesting character with a fleshed out backstory? Yeah, I would like more of those please. Voting yes.
Bartok Evergreen
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Faunus (Vampire Bat)
Aura Color: Blood Red
Semblance Name: Bleed and Drink
Weapon Name: Coiled Sting

I have trouble visualizing her weapon. You state it as a cleaver, which makes me think it's a short knife, but you then mention an engine to power a chainsaw blade. Also, a doulbe-edged cleaver makes me think of a very short-handled ax with two heads. Do you mean instead that it's a big fat blade when you say "cleaver"? If so, she's so small at 4' 8" that I would like to know how long.

For fighting style, because she is so small I think it would be very fitting for her to have learned something like Aikido and use that in her combat. Using other's forces against them redirecting to throw things to the ground, and so forth. In a fight, mass does matter and her coming up with this slippery way could enhance the "Tiny but Fierce" vibe she has going.

Her Semblance is sort of vague in that it takes two paragraphs to actually give a meaningful visualization of what it does. "It changes stuff." At first I understood that it made things harder or more brittle something like it, like she caught that bullet in her backstory, but you mention speeding up healing with it. I am unsure what exactly this can do. Does she simply change the atomic integrity of an object to make it harder or more fragile? I'm not understanding.

One more note is I think that for such a short character you are really missing out on some issues about her height or people taking advantage of her because of said height. It seems so far that if people teased her about it she's be fine with it, but her Like of wanting to appear her best sorta counters that. Not really a thing that NEEDS to be fixed more than I think it something that could be added.

With these things, most noteably a bit more work on her weapon and Semblance, I'd give a happy yes.
Jim Lavay
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Human
Aura Color: Gold
Semblance Name: Redline - Hereditary
Weapon Name: Reclamation

I know I'm new, but this character is one I'm very familiar with. So much so that I spoke with the writer quite a bit about her over Discord.

I'm really excited to see how their rebirth goes over here. It's a clear yes for me and any small knit picks or points I can happily chat about in a back and forth chat. That said its a case of a rich character with a wonderful writer so I'm certain that this would be a wonderful addition to the community.
Talking | Thinking

Personal Motto: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and damn, I've almost died a lot.
  • Information