Rouge Ako

A collection of the previously approved/denied character's applications complete with feedback posts for future reference.

Is Rouge Ako Approved?

Yes he is!
100%
No he isn’t!
No votes

Total votes: 3
Rouge Ako
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Human
Aura Color: Scarlet
Semblance Name: Mosaic Maestro
Weapon Name: Abismo Escarlata

1. Are you 18 or older? We want to know if anyone is under 18 years of age. Being under 18 will not bar you from participating in our community. Rather, this will allow us to gauge who is acting inappropriately toward minors.

I am 22, turning 23 early July.

2. Do you have past experience with collaborative writing or roleplay, and if so, roughly how much? You can be brief. This is intended to help us provide useful feedback in your approval.

I do, I used to be on the old RWBY RP forum, and possibly have about 8 years of experience doing it. I've Rped on the Amino app, websites, D&D, and some bits and plays with some pals when I used to cosplay 4 years ago before I entered the navy.

3. You may include an optional (SHORT!) Roleplay sample for people to read that gives a feel for your character in writing.

Rouge was up to something today, he wasn't playing music in the deep woodsy area of the gardens, training at the fields, or attending class like a normal student. Today the Scarlet Musician was laying out wires across the open field and slowly, and inexpertly, connecting them to the large speakers the school used for special events. He spent most of the earlier day to receive permission to use them and after filling out several forms and getting questioned and in little under an hour Rouge was able to secure the uses of them, ten in total. The wires he laid out showed his inexperience with this sort of knowledge, in the center of all the wires was a tangled mess that Rouge couldn’t fix, even after spending a lot of time on it, the damn mess just kept getting worse. Rouge decided it was best to move on. He started to work on putting together a large wooden stage that he also borrowed from the school, putting the correct frames together and laying out the wooden flooring that he would be walking on.

Finally students began to gather around to watch Rouge put it all together, wondering what it is that he is doing, gossiping on if it was a punishment or volunteer work. Only some knew him and those who didn't were quickly informed of the Scarlet Musician and the rather odd situations he would, unknowingly, put himself in, but this time it seemed he actually knew what he was doing. They watched as he put the last piece of the stage together and laid down the last wooden panel before jumping off the stage and moving the tangled portion of the wires underneath the stage to most likely hide them from view. The students began to take out their scrolls and make a few calls or send a few messages to their friends and tell them what Rouge is doing.

Within thirty minutes of starting constructing the stage, Rouge has finished, and now he viewed the wooden flooring and gave a disapproving stare. He went to the small bag that he left near the stage and pulled out a few cans of wood polish, a few rags and a hand buffer. He lowered to the flooring and began to apply the polish and work it into the wood, humming a tune of a song as he worked hard on making the floor shine

Within the next hour more students have arrived to watch him finish up polishing and buffing the wooden flooring, appearing practically brand new and sparkling. With the work finished, Rouge left the stage and went to the bag once more, this time bringing out a small computer and connecting it to the one wire that was out on it’s lonesome. He placed the computer onto the stage and started to click and type onto it, within moments sounds of a keyboard, drums, bass and guitar started to play from the computer’s speakers. To some the sounds would sound slightly familiar for some reason, the pop like music was catchy to the ears of Rouge and possibly most of the students who were close enough to hear the music. The male began to play with the sounds of each individual instruments until they were blended correctly and sounded well enough to Rouge’s ears. What the students didn't know was that yesterday, Rouge spent the whole day recording each instrument, excluding the drums since h didn't know how to play them, it did cost him a small bit until the student finally agreed to being recorded, until he was satisfied.

Rouge paused the music and made his way back to the stage while pulling out his scroll and reading over words that were displayed on the screen, which were lyrics to a song. As he walked up the stage, Students finally realized the outfit he wore. It wasn't his usual school uniform, or his combat clothes Midas helped design and create for him, and it wasn't the white robes he wore when he first came to Beacon and now used as his performing attire. It as black leather combat boots, shined until they gave a reflection of whatever they were pointing at. The pants Rouge wore were new to him and everyone else because he never wore a pair of jeans before. He actually had to buy a pair a few days prior to today, they were tight against his legs and his behind, causing him, earlier today, to stretch his legs constantly and try to break in the material but the attempts proved fruitless. For his top he also wore something restrictive and tight, a white t-shirt with a deep black trim and red threading, something he had to purchase as well. His hair was held back with a few hidden hair clips as well as two cans of hairspray and he also seemed like he was wearing some sort of makeup to cover the small scars on his arms.

Finally finished reading over the words one last time Rouge came to the center of the stage and put on a small over ear microphone, and turned it on. Rouge pushed down on a pedal on the stage, wired to the computer, and music blasted through the large speakers and then Rouge opened his mouth and sang.
SheidelII

For clarity, could you say how old Rouge Ako is during the points in time described in his Backstory? From what I can gather, Rouge entered Beacon Academy around 16-17 years of age, but is currently 21 as of the present. The (First Year of Beacon) led me to believe there was meant to be something to describe his initial time at Beacon. Is this cutoff an incomplete entry? The age uncertainty in this is a bit confusing when trying to pin down his timeline. Is Rouge Ako a third/fourth year student? What age did he enroll in Beacon? Just some bits of information I’d like included to make things easier to digest.

Mosaic Maestro’s glass use could also use more elaboration, particular where the glass is coming from. Is it his Aura being converted into glass-like constructs? Or is Rouge creating the glass through means of his Semblance’s abilities, such as turning appropriate material like sand into glass that he can then manipulate further? The current version doesn’t include this other than that he just can create glass. Another matter is the draw these glass constructs place on Rouge’s Aura reserves. We don’t get a good idea of the ratio of Aura to Semblance output other than a short mention of how much effort he needs to put into controlling constructs due to their size, but not much specifically in the way of how much investment Rouge needs to put in to creating the varying sizes and types of these glass constructs. Spamming glass pillars is something that sounds like a big drain on him to do compared to small daggers, for example. Does intricacy matter or only size? Expand on when you describe how Rouge can strengthen the glass by spending more Aura to include what I suggested here and it will flesh out what you have now to give people a better idea of how Mosaic Maestro works.

Some concerns I have for Rouge’s fighting style is just how versatile he seems given his training. Being a senior student of Beacon aside, instances provided of his previous training don’t include mentions of branching out to use the kind of weapons he can create with Mosaic Maestro other than swords. If it’s implied in his Fighting Style that he is proficient in the use of those weapons, make mention of them, but I think it suits his Fighting Style and Semblance best that these constructs are more throwaway implements that give him an opening to use his main weapon that he is skilled and heavily trained in using. The glass constructs can’t take much damage unless Rouge invests a good amount of Aura from what you’ve written, but I think that Aura is better spent on something that is not, by its nature, fragile. This is just a minor point for me, though. Speaking of strengthening with Aura, I would like some elaboration on that aspect as, although Mosaic Maestro can provide good defensive measures as a cover for his weakness there, the tradeoff is having to expend Aura to do so. It is something that Rouge is not strong in, and I believe it should be clearly put so. His strengths seem to lie in speed and maneuverability. This is only a suggestion, so take what you feel like.

That’s all for my initial review of this profile. Aside from the small elaborations I mentioned, there isn’t anything I could think of that would keep Rouge Ako from being approved for Freelancer roleplay.
Rouge Ako
Aura Color: Scarlet
Semblance Name: Mosaic Maestro
Weapon Name: Abismo Escarlata

Sorry about the backstory, I thought I got everything when I copied and pasted from a word dock. Also I touched up the area you commented on. Thanks for the input.
SheidelII

Changes look fine.

I do wonder about Mosaic Maestro’s glass shards ability. Standard constructs can only take about one hit without further enhancement, but do they shatter into shards to be reused, or do they simply dissipate after taking damage? Perhaps more Aura invested in them, not towards their strength, but stockpiled into them is the technique Rouge uses to make that happen. I think it’s worth mentioning the distinction of if the glass dissipates when surpassing a damage threshold or not. The ending of his Semblance’s description does say how Rouge can “shatter” his own glass to create the shards, so it made me wonder about that. If it’s just a default property that any glass construct that he creates can “shatter” into shards to use as an attack, it can be quite powerful.

The rest of what I mention will be minor things I’ll PM you. Other than that, I think Rouge Ako is fit for Freelancer roleplay.
Castor Achromos
Race: Fanus (snakes eyes)
Aura Color: Red
Semblance Name: Chaotic Psyche
Weapon Name: Molon labe

I think for the most part Rouge is good to go, so I'm going to go with a yes. though I am curious about a few things.
One is pretty minor but his weapon a two hander he's using with one hand or is it specifically modified for one handed use? how far can green glass propel someone ? how sharp are red glass constructs compared to their real counterparts ? how durable is white glass ? its has the least amount of info but unless it offers come advantage I feel its somewhat redundant when aura does more or less the same but better. Lastly what happens to the aura used in the constructs when said construct is destroyed or undone by Rouge himself ? is he able to use to use the shards only when he breaks his glass or regardless of who breaks them ?
Myron Hyles
Aura Color: Turquoise
Semblance Name: Sleeping Spell
Weapon Name: 40 Winks

That's a very long and complete profile. I gotta say I love every part of it, be it written or drawn.

Like the others, I'm a bit curious about his Semblance. It's very complex so there's a lot of questions. My main concern is about the "afterlife" of the glass, since it's made from Aura: does it disappear after it shattered, does it become inactive, or can Rouge still move the broken pieces and shards as long as he wants?

The part about the colored glass doesn't bother me as much, however. Precision is nice, but I don't think it needs more in this case, unless Rouge has to actively think about which properties he wants. His Aura is tuned with his emotions, so if he wants to attack, I'd wager the glass is naturally sharp, and if he wants a shield it's naturally more solid.
Not to invalidate Castor's criticism, it's just my grain of salt.
Last edited by Myron Hyles on Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Drawls in #82E6E6*

Theme song / Extended profile
Castor Achromos
Race: Fanus (snakes eyes)
Aura Color: Red
Semblance Name: Chaotic Psyche
Weapon Name: Molon labe

fair enough though was mostly asking out of curisoity rather having a problem with that specific aspect of the semblance.
  • Information