No Train No Gain (W/ Professor Wednesday)

From snowy Mantle, to tropical Menagerie. This is the rest of Remnant!
Rouge Ako
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Human
Aura Color: Scarlet
Semblance Name: Mosaic Maestro
Weapon Name: Abismo Escarlata

The strong wind blew dust and a lone tumble weed across the empty train station. Pale red brick, that lost it's saturation to the steady and constant blanket from the scorching sunlight, was utilized when creating this station and from the eye of an artist it was very clear that this station must've been quite beautiful during it's first years after construction. Only now after years of wear and tear, as well as the lack of travelers, it looked bleak and almost abandoned. Fliers were posted against a news board with crude drawings of Grimm on horseback surrounded the one wanted poster of a group that recently gained fame for robbing the railroads in the outskirts and less guarded portions of Remnant. There was only one person inside of the ticket booth, behind a thick set of bars and an even thicker glass pane that acted as a first line of defense, the mounted shotgun with boxes of shells made it clear that the occupant had his contingencies.

The only other person at the station sat alone on a dusty bench strumming a simple tune on his acoustic guitar as he waited, the careful and perceptive eyes of Rouge watched his surroundings with alert. His outfit was entirely different than those he usually wore around for his missions and school life, completely ditching the eastern style robe and sandals. Currently he had a brown leather duster, adorned with embroidered black and brick red desert roses as well as their stems and thorns growing a thick bramble at the bottom. His pants were replaced with brown jeans with the striking scarlet red sash wrapped tightly around it with the two ends coming halfway down on his right thigh. Black and brown cowboy boots replaced his sandals and finally to top it all of is a brown cowboy hat with an actual desert rose being tied down with some scarlet cord. To his right was an opened guitar case with his sword and sheathe resting comfortable inside, the handle propped out and pointed towards it's wielder.

Rouge was here to assist with the nearby town with their train issues, alongside a Professor who currently wasn't there and Rouge isn't sure who he has this mission with, and if they are even coming. The village in need of help, needs to receive this supply train and all of the cargo on it and then send off large shipments of unrefined dust to a factory a full day's worth of traveling away. The train already has a team of hunters and mercenaries who will be departing at this stop while Rouge and this Professor will be boarding, basically passing the baton. For the few hours Rouge has been here he has already asked all of the questions he needed at the ticket booth of the group that has been making the attacks, how many are usually making the attack, and what weapons they used. Then when Rouge brought up a question if any Grimm have been sighted after the attack, the Ticket Master whimpered and refused to answer anymore questions.

To keep with the theme, Rouge started strumming a rather rhythmic tune that rode the fine line between country and blues. His fingers playing the strings with masterful dexterity and he thought of the lyrics he heard from the old man at the bar. The sadness and determination in his voice matched that same intensity and earnest of the white haired, handlebar mustache man that sung it. "Well, I won't back down. No, I wont back down. You can stand me up at the gates of hell. But I won't back down. Gonna stand my ground. Won't be turned around. And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down. Gonna stand my ground. And I won't back down" The strumming and song came to an end as Rouge's ears picked up the sound of scuffling feet, the Ticket Master caught his attention as he exited his safe room and posted a new flier. This one of Grimm with the body of a lion and the face and wings of an eagle. Then he ran back into his room and from the sounds of all the latches and locks, he wont be coming out anytime soon.
”Pieces of music can never die, they live forever in the ears of those who’ve musician’s played for.”
-Rouge Ako

Theme
Professor Wednesday Haptasnytrir
Gender Identity: Female*
Aura Color: Grey
Semblance Name: Hliðskjálf
Weapon Name: Gungnir and Valföðr

A shadow passing by out of the corner of his eye preceded the Lien chit being deposited in Rouge’s guitar case as the last of the notes quietly faded in the breeze. Silent footfalls continued the melancholic lull his song had left in its wake at an unhurried pace as if to savor the atmosphere built up thus far. It was only when the figure, so unlike the dim passion brick backdrop, came into view with her back to him did she finally spoke.

“Nice tune. Equally so for the sentiment with what we’re about to do. However, I have to wonder about the balls on someone comfortable enough to pack a guitar to fieldwork of all things.”

Kid played like he had the muses themselves whispering in his ear. The rest of the trip was shaping up to not be a complete bore after all if there was musical talent of this caliber riding along. Proper time and place had to be observed, however, and there would be plenty of the former on the journey ahead. Until they ended up neck-deep in bodies.

Wednesday made herself comfortable on the bench opposite of Rouge and slightly to his left so as to allow proper eye contact. Pale blue skimmed over the thrice-folded travel brochure expounding a time past of the station and its surrounding locales. The little blurbs paired with a cartoonish conductor interested her little on the first read through and only occupied time as she waited for Rouge’s response. She had a solid idea of Rouge’s character from his time in her classes along with her fellow faculty gossiping about the students. The rugrats running around Beacon liked to think they were worse than housewives, but behind closed doors, professors were old hands at the rumor mill. She herself dabbled if to just simply satiate her own curiosity for how her students acted outside of class. Respectfully. Didn’t hurt to test him every now and them. This was an educational opportunity for Rouge, after all.

Wednesday snapped the brochure shut in her right hand, the paper at least making a better fan than source of information.

“You weren’t waiting long, were you? I was looking into a promising lead, but nothing much came of it.”

A lot of rumors and yet little to no information confirming it. Grimm were obviously in the mix from the mission posting and the posters not a few meters away. Wednesday had a suspicion that they wouldn’t be the most dangerous element at play if what she heard going around had any amount of truth. A horde of Grimm was one thing, but organized brigands who knew the land in and out? The two together would be a headache to deal with. Call her paranoid, which she got plenty of, but information leaking about a large shipment of Dust would be a tempting prize to any willing to risk it. She had her own set of eyes in the sky keeping track of the train in case there was trouble. These were kind of the expected turn of events for veterans. She’d be surprised if it were just Grimm attacking them. If the train ride was utterly devoid of casualties of any sort, she’d eat her eyepatch.
Mindful and talkative, wouldst thou gain wisdom
Silent and thoughtful and bold in strife
#AEAEAE
Extended Profile
Rouge Ako
Gender Identity: Male
Aura Color: Scarlet
Semblance Name: Mosaic Maestro
Weapon Name: Abismo Escarlata

Rouge glanced at the Professor, her presence adding a new layer to the station's atmosphere and he could tell immediately, even after all of the classes he had with her, she was the real deal. He gave a small smile in response to her comment about his choice to bring a guitar, he can’t remember a single day where he didn’t bring an instrument. "Well, Professor, sometimes a bit of music can make the journey more bearable, even if it's one filled with danger. Helps keep the spirits high, you know?" Sure it weighed him down in some cases but playing always seemed to be the right thing to do before and after these missions.

As she settled on the bench opposite him, he continued to strum the favored strings absentmindedly to create a short but repeatable tune, watching her pale blue eyes scan the travel brochure. He’s read some of it earlier but nothing caught his attention on it besides the route, he could guess only a few places were the ‘hot spots’ for the opposing parties. Her question about the waiting time drew a nonchalant shrug from him. ”Not too long. Just enough to figure out what I could from the locals and play a song or two.”

“Excuse me for being blunt.” Something he was so very often, and learned to quickly say it just in case. “But why were you chosen or if you volunteered, why?” He didn’t know of many who would go with him, especially teams in needing of a fourth often would rather resign their mission than go with Rouge. Thin fingers wrapped tightly around the neck of the guitar, a sour note played in response as he thought of the third and second years would pale at the sight of his name appearing on their scrolls.

He began packing away his guitar in his case as he listened for her answer, knowing soon enough the train will arrive and just as he placed the wood against the soft silk interior he heard the distant whistle signaling the arrival of their mission. He could see from the far distance that the train already has dealt with prior problems, missing segments and large cuts and holes adorned the solid metal compartments and from what he could tell the current protectors also looked tired as they leaned against the broken and tattered railings.
”Pieces of music can never die, they live forever in the ears of those who’ve musician’s played for.”
-Rouge Ako

Theme
Professor Wednesday Haptasnytrir
Gender Identity: Female*
Aura Color: Grey
Semblance Name: Hliðskjálf
Weapon Name: Gungnir and Valföðr

Wednesday nodded along, unable to deny the young man's claim. A little music went a ways to soothe the soul within and without. Perhaps the spirits of the land would be enticed enough to aid them in their unseeable ways to ensure the winds were tipped to their backs, and not blowing against them. Let their scent carry on the breeze and bait the Grimm out if they were so adamant in hiding away. Her irons would follow not long after. Another shake of the makeshift fan and it was tucked away in her breast pocket.

"Well, now that you are warmed up, I shall have no fear of there being a poor performance come time to hunt." Wednesday's soft smile showed her appreciation for his straightforward approach, and encouragement to continue. "We will do as huntsmen are meant to do, Ako. It could have been anyone accompanying here today; sitting where you sit, but that person is you. Missions such as these are what I take as many first years as I am able on to weigh their worth. They help to separate those able and those not." Grades and faculty commentary only allowed so much insight. Aside from a select few of her fellow educators, Wednesday trusted her own insight the most when it came to gauging potential. The controlled environment also allowed her to see how well a student took to orders and mission parameters.

The train steadily pulled into a rest, the bulk of its metal body taking a moment to settle down from the disjointed components jostling into each other. The first wave of loose dirt kicking up was crunched beneath her heel as Wednesday made to stand, dusting off her furred mantle in front of the doors opening in jittering crawls.

"Are you ready for this?" Wednesday's blue eye peeked over her shoulder of flaring rolls of grey. A question spoken aloud and deafeningly silent to the young man waiting to take his measure with how he would respond. "You will only disappoint me if you are not."
Mindful and talkative, wouldst thou gain wisdom
Silent and thoughtful and bold in strife
#AEAEAE
Extended Profile
  • Information