The Deadly Debacle (private with Serenity Sandstalker)

A lush forest that borders Vale. Often used by Beacon Academy for training purposes.
Professor Simab Zibaq
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Faunus (Lizard: Nictitating Membrane)
Aura Color: Gray
Semblance Name: Mercurial Flux
Weapon Name: Sandsplitter

Of course, an integral part of Weapon Crafting and Upkeep was to test out your weapons on Grimm. What could go wrong?...

Professor Simab Zibaq still hadn't acclimatized to the cooler temperatures of Vale. He had forgotten his jacket in his office, and he was way beyond the point of no return. Besides, he couldn't leave his students in the Grimm-infested Emerald Forest. So he was stuck at the edge of the forest, dealing with the consequences of his actions.

I'm surprised nobody has utilized the emergency Dust signal, perhaps my students are faring well after all... Simab mused to himself as he leaned against a tree. Checking his scroll, he took note of how much time has passed.

Fifteen minutes have passed, I suppose that's long enough... Professor Zibaq thought as he sent a signal via his scroll to the five teams of students that had gone into the forest, signifying the end of the lesson. The students would have to confirm they received the signal, upon which a green check mark next to their name would signify that the students have confirmed it, and would return to the rendezvous point.

After waiting roughly a minute, Simab watched as most of the students confirmed the signal. A few stragglers remained, but he figured they'd confirm the signal in due time. All but one student had confirmed the signal.

"Hmm... Serenity Sandstalker..." Simab vocalized as he took note of the student's name. He decided that it would be better to check to ensure her safety rather than leave her to her fate. It was going to take a while for the other students to arrive at the rendezvous point anyway, so Professor Zibaq set off into the Emerald Forest, searching for Serenity.
Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration. But in a metalworking environment, your percentages may vary.

Professor Simab Zibaq's native accent resides in FF0000 and FF4000
Serenity Sandstalker
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Faunus; chameleon: color-altering skin and a tail
Aura Color: Lavender
Semblance Name: Once Bitten - Twice the Pain
Weapon Name: Perilous Tempo

Serenity had not anticipated any extreme Grimm appearances today. It was a routine class and lately the grimm sightings in the forest had been lower than ever before. The first few minutes went smoothly. Then the biggest, most terrifying Grimm she'd ever seen had silently popped out of nowhere and her teammate had panicked and ditched, leaving Sera to tumble with the creature on her own.

Serenity did manage to disable the creature and flee, but her scroll was destroyed in the process, leaving her without communication, and she was out of dust, having used her supply on that monster. During the fight, she had also been flung into one too many trees, leaving her shakey and more than a little turned around. She holstered her weapons as, in the distance, she heard the Grimm roar, no doubt calling its fellows. She wearily pulled herself up into the trees so she could catch sight of Beacon.

Once she could see the cliff with the school perched on top, she began to slowly make her way toward it through the treetops, her tail curling around branches as she moved for extra security- she couldn't even remotely remember the location of the rendezvous Professor Simab Zibaq had set. I need to make it back so I can get a scroll to contact him and let him know I'm alive.
♤ Enjoys a good prank ♤
Speech Color
◇ Needs food ◇
♧ Sunbathing Like a Leezard 101 ♧
Professor Simab Zibaq

Hearing the mighty roar of a massive Grimm, Professor Zibaq knew exactly what direction to head in. Simab dashed between the trees, unexpectedly light on his feet for a man his size. From out of the trees, a Beowulf leapt out towards the Professor. However, Simab expected to encounter resistance on his way. Seamlessly, he unsheathed Sandsplitter, activated his Semblance, and cleft the beast in twain without breaking a sweat.

It's harder to see Grimm in this environment. Unlike the sandy deserts of Vacuo, the Grimm have more things to hide behind. I'll have to be more aware of that... Professor Zibaq mused as he continued making his way deeper into the forest. Hearing something up in the canopy of trees, Professor Zibaq braced himself with his back against a tree, Sandsplitter at the ready, the blade continuing to hum and vibrate due to his Semblance.

Damn, where is Serenity?! thought Professor Zibaq.
Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration. But in a metalworking environment, your percentages may vary.

Serenity Sandstalker

Serenity had a rhythm down, release branch, leap, cling to new branch for a second, rinse and repeat. Until she chose the wrong target. As she relaxed in preparation of her next leap, the overtaxed branch snapped and plunged Sera mercilessly from the canopy. As she hit the ground and rolled, she sensed a presence and was immediately on her feet, weapons out as she tried to get her bearings.

After a few seconds that seemed like a lifetime, Sera realized the creature was her teacher. Oh, it's the Professor. She felt slightly foolish, and offered a small wave, weapons all in hand "Sorry I'm late, Boss. There's a giant mega-Grimm and I ran outta Dust and my scroll is scrap." As she spoke the ground started to shake. "I think it followed me." She whispered, "But how?"

Her confusion was cut short as indeed, the huge Grimm busted through the trees. No, not her Grimm. It's color pattern was slightly different. All that effort and they still found me.
♤ Enjoys a good prank ♤
Speech Color
◇ Needs food ◇
Professor Simab Zibaq

"I'm just glad you're okay, Serenity. Now, let's clean up this forest." Professor Zibaq replied, using his Semblance to extend the blade of Sandsplitter as he swung it at the huge Grimm, slicing off several of its limbs before dashing forward to deliver one last flourish to decapitate it. Simab listened to the silent forest intently for a moment before turning back to Serenity.

It doesn't make sense, our observations pointed to the Grimm's behavior becoming more docile today... Something sinister is afoot here... Simab briefly mused.

"Was that Grimm you mentioned?" he asked, gesturing to the smoky remains of the Grimm he had felled.

Serenity Sandstalker

"Not- no, I don't think so." Sera answered her professor "The other one was smaller, and it's white chest patch was more oval shaped. I think they might travel in pairs or be a family unit?" Sera's voice quirked up in a question at the end, not entirely sure of her assessment, but also eager to prove her observation skills and ability to process information.

An angry roar rose up in the distance, probably signaling the first Grimm freeing itself. A shiver lanced down Sera's spine and she was suddenly very glad that Professor Simab was there, the ease at which he had dispatched the other Grimm was awe inspiring. "Why do you think they're out and about right now? Wasn't the Grimm forcast set for little to no Grimm activity?"
♤ Enjoys a good prank ♤
Speech Color
◇ Needs food ◇
Professor Simab Zibaq

"The forecast for Grimm behavior was supposed to be relatively calm. However, they are all worked up now. Something happened between the recent forecast and now, we just do not know what that something is..." replied Professor Zibaq. It pained him to not have the knowledge as to why this is happening. Something clearly was amiss here, he just couldn't place it. Anyway, it wouldn't do him any good to dwell on the unknown.

"Best to follow me before the Grimm catch up. I've memorized the location of the rendezvous point. Stay close." he added, using Sandsplitter to clear away some dense flora in their path like a knife through butter.

Serenity Sandstalker

Sera's mind was in overdrive, why would the Grimm have gotten all worked up like they are? Is there going to be an attack on the outlying cities and villages?

She acknowledged the professor with a nod and softly spoken "Yes, sir. I'm right behind you!" she followed on his heels, keeping both eyes and ears sharp for Grimm activity as they fought their way through the vegetation. The last thing Sera wanted was to be surprised by a monster. As they traveled, Sera remembered her panicked teammate, and whispered "Excuse me, Professor, do you know if my partner made it back to the group?"
♤ Enjoys a good prank ♤
Speech Color
◇ Needs food ◇
Professor Simab Zibaq

Professor Zibaq heard Serenity's inquiry and pulled out his scroll to check. A careful inspection had revealed to him that just about every other student had made it to the rendevous point. Simab nodded in confirmation as he pocketed his scroll.

"Yes, it seems like your partner made it safely." Simab affirmed. Taking the briefest of moments, he could sense unease coming from Serenity. Not one to let her mind wander to extreme what-ifs, Simab decided to put her at ease to help better focus on getting back to the rendezvous point safely.

"Things like this happen from time to time, and they typically stabilize within twenty four hours. I may not know the exact cause, but it's likely another spike in aggressive behavior like the rest of them. You will be alright, I promise." Simab spoke, hoping that would do the trick.

• Information