Back with a Bang (Private w/ Ava Blue)

This area is outside of Vale's walls, but within a relatively safe distance of the city.
Jim Lavay
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Human
Aura Color: Gold
Semblance Name: Redline - Hereditary
Weapon Name: Reclamation

After a massive crash Jim took a nice big gasp of air. A bit of dust clearing as he shook his hand. What little remained of the tree stump in front of him brought about a laugh. Peering around he would yell back to his partner. "Clear! You?" Assuming she responded as such as well. He would then start heading back over in her direction. Pulling that colossal blade out of the ground on his way. "Okay, Maaaybe that was a little over kill, but ya know maybe even they get scared from time to time." He held a wide grin on his face as if fighting to not burst into full blown laughter. Of course, despite his exuberance he would make sure to ask. "You doin okay?"

The alert that they had responded to turned out to be a real threat. Several waves of Grimm were passing a bit too close to the main city. So, after reporting on the scene along with a few other huntsmen. They had been asked to fan out in the wilderness and either draw attention away from the city or at the very least break up the herds. Luckily, the reports said that it was almost entirely land based Grimm and mostly the run of the mill stuff. Beos, Ursas, Boars, the generic stuff that even new student could handle. At least in small doses.

Naturally, this meant that at least thus far they hadn't faced anything too threatening which was probably why the alert wasn't more severe. It also meant that at least Jim was having a great time. It was so much fun fighting a long side Ava again. He'd even chuckle a bit as they were in a lull for the moment. "Dang should have snagged a few bottles to go." As he said that the junior huntsmen would plop down near her taking a short breather.
Talking | Thinking

Personal Motto: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and damn, I've almost died a lot.
Ava Blueblood
Gender Identity: Female
Aura Color: Sky blue
Semblance Name: Crystallize
Weapon Name: Prae

Ava swung with all the strength that she could muster and buried her shieldaxe into the Ursa's back. The creature gave one last ghastly roar as it reared onto its hind legs, desperately swiping at the air in front of it in a bid to fight back. It tripped on a rock, stumbling backwards, and landed on the ground with a thud as Ava's axe was forced through its body and out of the stomach. Even the Huntress, no stranger to witnessing a Grimm being torn in half by her partner, had to wince and give a little "oof" at the sight.

When Jim called out, she briefly surveyed the trees to make sure nothing else wanted a piece of them and safely declared "Clear!" after confirming they were alone. Fanning away the smoke that was rising from the cadaver, Ava grasped her weapon. The crystals were nearly spent and the blade was already looking dull, but it would hold up for the rest of the night provided they didn't run into an army of Grimm.

"You never know, maybe they'll spook if they see a larger-than-life sword boomerang around the forest?" Turning to Jim, she gave a reassuring smile. "All good, chief. Prae's looking more and more busted by the second but she'll see me through to the end of the mission." After leaning against a tree that Jim hadn't yet chopped in two, she slowly slid onto the forest floor with one leg outstretched, finally taking a second to breathe as the fatigue began to catch up with her.

"As tempting as it is to pour one out right now, I'd really rather not get our asses suspended on my first mission." She rolled her head on the tree bark to look Jim in the eyes. "Later?" At the rate things were going, it wouldn't take them long to clear out their sect of the forest. The types of Grimm native to Vale were some of the easiest to handle, plus they'd killed at least a dozen of each variant before. It would be embarrassing if this wasn't a cakewalk for the pair.

That said, Ava was starting to feel the burn. "How is it that I go a month without the gym and my fitness levels turn to crap? I can already feel my legs hurting tomorrow. At least one of us still looks good," she said, half as a compliment, half out of envy. The forest had grown particularly quiet since the last wave of Grimm was cleared out, and the two would need to move further away from the city before encountering more, unless they waited for the enemy to come to them. Not in any rush, Ava was content to stay put for the time being. The Huntress sighed, setting her weapon side. "How you holding up?" she asked, adding with a laugh, "Couldn't help but notice you took out a few trees there, bud."
#08ADFF
Jim Lavay

Relaxing a little bit as Ava said she was okay Jim found himself walking a bit of a line. Somewhere between completely enthused to be kicking ass with his partner again and... Being completely enthused to kick ass with his partner again! Which meant that it was nearly impossible for him to drop the big stupid grin on his face even as he took a couple deep breaths.

When she commented about the weapon that smile would continue as he nodded. "Heck yeah, that thing is a Beast. Fairly sure it holds the record at Beacon for most shots absorbed just to turn around and rip the Grimm in half!" After that he would roll his neck and plop down next to her. Sticking his scroll to his gauntlet just in case they got an alert while taking a small breather. "I don't know, not sure if there is a rule about that. You've met some of the more grizzled old huntsmen out there..." Laughing lightly through a short pause he'd hold a hand. "...that said, looking our best. I'm all about that!"

When Ava commented about her conditioning he would chuckle lightly and nod his head. Waiting until she finished the whole thought. "Yeah, I'm good, and hey… don't worry. It's crazy how it doesn't take long. I mean I always healed pretty quickly, and even still. After a week or two of dealing with an injury from one of our missions. I was definitely feeling it next time I stepped up." As Jim spoke, he would pull off his left gauntlet and laugh a little more. His knuckles were bit bruised as he flexed his hand. "Yeeeeaaaah... wasn't too bad cutting them but punching that last one may have been a bit counterproductive. Still all four of those totally count for me!"

That last little bit of banter brought back a bunch of fond memories about their teasing each other and counting. Especially as her playfully nudged her with his elbow. "...Don't worry though I'll make sure you have a chance to catch up." It would be at that point that the junior huntsmen would circle back a touch. "Speaking of which. You may be feeling your month, but from my perspective you kicked just as much ass as last time I saw." Then with that Jim would take a long deep breath as he looked up to the darkened sky.

"Damn... I missed this." Rolling his head and looking to Ava it would hopefully be clear what he was really referring too.
Talking | Thinking

Personal Motto: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and damn, I've almost died a lot.
Ava Blueblood

In reaction to his poetic comments about her weapon, she huffed amusingly, still catching her breathe. True; many times had she deflected an attack and opened into a clean strike. It was a sort-of signature strategy for any one-on-one Grimm encounter, assuming they were barrelling head-first toward her. What he said next, she hadn't really considered before - why would anybody care if they were drinking on the job? They weren't students anymore, professors weren't going to chew them out for the consumption of alcohol on school grounds. It was a startling revelation to say the least.

Ava glanced down at Jim's hand as he pulled the gauntlet off, and she lifted it up a little closer to herself to get a better look. "Hmm..." She wondered if the city would have any words to say about them going full-on lumberjack in the outskirts. Letting go, she listened as he continued, even going so far as to compliment her performance compared to the last time they'd fought together. She couldn't hold back a smile knowing that at least Jim thought she was still performing well enough as a Huntress. "Aw-shucks, that mean's a lot to me. You don't look a day out of practice yourself," she returned, moving to nudge him in the shoulder.

The two of them were alone in the midst of an empty forest, with nary a thing but the twinkling stars to keep them company. It was an idyllic scene, a picturesque end to a day full of action and adventure. Okay, the 'adventure' was a car drive around town and the 'action' was getting drunk in a bar at 9pm followed by an emergency mission to slay some measly Grimm, but not even the coldest heart could deny the allure of a moment like this. She could see him looking at her out of the corner of her eye, and she rolled her eyes a little before meeting his gaze. "I missed this too. This is all pretty romantic, isn't it?"

She pondered something for a second, her vision shifting and fixing on a school of fireflies in the distance. "So, this might sound a little crazy," she started, shifting her weight to lay on one side before returning her attention to Jim. "What do you think about booking a trip somewhere? I don't care where or when, just, some place where it can be just us. With that big job coming up, who knows when we'll both be free again?"
#08ADFF
Jim Lavay

Holding that long smile on his face. Jim just kinda found himself relaxing in the moment. His mind unknowingly following much along the same path as his partners. As this really would have been quiet the perfect moment and romantic end to a lovely night. Especially any movie that would have ended with the heroes intoxicated among the smoldering corpses of their enemies. On top of a ruined landscape. Probably not going to be made environmentalists. A thought that he couldn't help, but to chuckle a little bit to himself about.

Once that little giggle passed and he caught his breath a little more he would look over to Ava. The warm smile on his face growing as she made that comment about the romantic aspect. "Yeah, I think it kinda is..." With that Jim would gently wrap an arm around her and pull her in. "...only a pair of huntsmen that love combat as much as us would think that, huh?" He chuckled again before giving her a little loving squeeze with that arm.

Taking another deep breath and enjoying the moment Jim would look down her way and smile at that next comment. In a mixture of surprise and happiness his warm smile shifted into his more signature grin. "Heck, yeah I think that sounds amazing!" That really was exactly what they needed. It would be easy for them to just fall into the same routine now that she was back. Not that there was anything wrong with that of course. In fact, it was something that he was really looking forward too. However, something even more appealing was that idea of them just being able to relax and enjoy each other. Something that much to her point may not be readily available for the pair in a few weeks.

So, with this new idea in mind and that grin still hold on his face he first repeated himself. "I really really do think that is an awesome idea. The question is where? Do we go with something completely random, or is there a place you've always wished to go?" During his pre-Beacon years he had been a lot of different places. However, he frequently didn't get the chance to really enjoy them. So, this was an idea he really loved for many reasons.
Talking | Thinking

Ava Blueblood

Ava allowed herself to relax as she leaned into the embrace, shoulders loosening and jaw relaxing. She exhaled a contented sigh. What began as a stressful day had become increasingly easier to bear since arriving in Vale, barring the emergency callout, of course. Being able to close the night out by sharing a quiet moment with her partner under the moonlight sky was almost perfect. Almost. She chuckled in response to his Huntsman comment, "Heh, got that right." There was the tiny issue of the Grimm, and she'd a gut feeling they'd see more before the night closed out. By no means did she let her guard down, always keeping a mindful ear out for any stray noises in the distance and a watchful eye on the silhouettes of distant trees.

Even though she knew he wouldn't have any objections to the getaway, Ava couldn't help but smile at Jim's enthusiastic reaction to the idea. "Yeah? Let's do it!" She picked herself up from her slouched position and sat cross-legged, mostly because her back was beginning to ache. When he asked if there was anywhere that she wanted to go, she nodded, already having a mental list of places she'd been wanting to visit for a while. "I mean, yeah, a couple of places. I've never been to Vacuo or anywhere that's like, really hot. I guess Mistral can get pretty warm in the Summer but I bet there's tons of places in Western Sanus that we could look at."

She tilted her head and pondered for a second. "I know Menagerie is supposed to be beautiful, but... I wouldn't feel right going there, I guess? Obviously, I have nothing against Faunus," she said, feeling the need to reinforce that point. "I just, I dunno. I get the feeling that we'd make some people uncomfortable by invading their space? Please tell me if I have that completely ass-backwards." She was conflicted. She knew so many Faunus who'd spoken highly of Menagerie, but as humans, had they have the right to visit?

"What about you, anywhere you're itching to go?"
#08ADFF
Jim Lavay

The pretty much glued on grin on Jim's face only grew further when Ave gave the equally enthused response. As it sounded like they were now going to be in for a trip. He did consider making a joke about their last trip and how that went. However, as his lips parted, they quickly sealed again. As that was a triumphant and growth filled moment it was a memory that also came with a solid brush with near-death. That and he wasn't sure if she would ever let him live down the fact that in the same fight, he managed to leap off an airship. As well as go bursting through a Nevermore with an effectively depleted aura. Which mean that instead of anything verbal he would just simply smile and nod his head comfortably.

At least, until the discussion turned towards their destination. "Hmmm..." Jim would hum to himself as he thought a little deeper at his previous destinations. Unfortunately, part of life on Remnant meant that there really wasn't any hidden oasis. At least, not a permanent one. Though a spat of combat was not an issue for the pair. It really did seem for once in their lives perhaps that was really what they needed.

So once Ava finished her thought Jim reached into one of his pockets and pulled out his scroll. Making sure to keep one eye on the horizon he expanded it too it's tablet form and spoke. "I've never been to Menagerie either and yeah. You're not being backwards about it. As bad as it is human's really have done a lot wrong to them. That said..." He pulled up a travel app and clicked on it while holding the device out so either could manipulate it. "...I bet you we can find a nice place. That's new, relaxing, fun..." As he spoke, he would punch in a few search criteria.

As Jim did that, he would also circle back around to some of her first points. "Vacuo is fun I remember the people there being pretty chill... but yeah super-hot. Mistral I honestly barely remember. Every time I went there it was with a quick job. That said I do remember some pretty nice and peaceful villages." Sure, enough that is where he would start narrowing the location. At least for the first round of checking. "So whatcha think? What kinds of things should be search for?"
Talking | Thinking

Ava Blueblood

It was settled, then. Menagerie would not be their destination. Perhaps another time when all lives were treated equally by society; as it stood, humans, in general, had a lot of catching up to do.

Her attention was brought to the app on Jim's scroll as he held it out and punched in a couple of search parameters. While the search engine went on to do its thing, she listened as Jim talked about his experiences, almost forgetting that he was quite well-travelled as far as graduate Huntsmen go - she'd even tagged along on a couple of those adventures. It had made it easier for them to rule out their first location - Vacuo. "Well... let's rule out Vacuo for now. Way too hot."

She leant over to punch in a couple more serach parameters into the app. "Quaint, quiet. Have we ever been anywhere that's like that?" Almost as soon as Ava finished speaking, she laughed. "Mountain Glenn's normally pretty quiet, I guess. Doubt we'll find any hotels out there though." The wind began to pick up for a moment, briefly taking Ava's attention away from the scroll as some leaves rustled nearby. A couple of seconds passed by and, satisfied that it wasn't a Grimm in waiting, she brought her attention back to the scroll. "How would you feel about going to a sort-of remote village in Mistral, then? There's hundreds of inns that we could drop into without a booking, and I bet lots of people are in need of some Huntsmen out there." She raised a finger to clarify. "Not that we're going out there to work, obviously, but it could be some easy lien on the side?" Ever since the bar earlier, she was still trying to figure out what Jim's financial situation was like. The fact that he'd paid for... well, pretty much everything had led her to believe he'd been doing quite well in recent times, but perhaps that was his chivalry shining through.
#08ADFF
Jim Lavay

Opening his mouth to initially respond to her. Jim would also find his eyes stolen away by the wind. As he scanned around and caught Ava doing the same out of the corner of his eye, he couldn't help but to internally chuckle. For better or worse Beacon really did train them well. They may have both been a bit naturally gifted in their abilities. However, it was the school that refined them into what they are today. A lesson that had he realized a bit earlier in his schooling would have certainly helped with a few of those initial growing pains. Of course, with that fleeting thought and the momentary risk of Grimm passed he would return to their conversation.

"Heh, I don't know I think I saw a few nostalgic buildings there that we could probably crash in. For free too!" He laughed as he they went into a quick list of... "Though it comes with the potential side effects of maiming, biting..." Very purposefully and playfully making it sound like a commercial that would see for a new medicine.

After a light chuckle he looked back at the scroll to see the results of Ava's search. The idea of a nice sleepy little place sounded amazing if he were being honest and too her point if they could do a little good. What would be the harm in that? Especially if it came with the mentioned lien. So much so that Jim would click on a couple of the options opening a few new tabs. "Sounds like an awesome idea and yeah if we get to expense it or do a little good definitely not gonna complain!"

Of the three options Jim selected one seemed to be built into the middle of some woods, another was in the mountains, and the last was on the water. "Hmm, what about any of these?" There were quite a few more options as well, but he did his best to at least find a decent variety of different locations. Both in size of the settlement and in geography. "Also..." He started to ask turning towards her this time. "How would you like to travel. Cause honestly, we could probably take just about any method. Heck a few these we could probably walk too." He laughed a bit. "Thooough that might take just a touch longer." Not that he would mind the journey of course. In fact, it would be a total blast. Though it would also not be very conducive to their attempts to find steady work in the near future.
Talking | Thinking

Ava Blueblood

Ava's lips twitched into a smile when Jim joked about staying in Mountain Glenn, her ponytail swishing as she rolled her eyes and tilted her head a little. The thought of staying another night in the derelict city wasn't necessarily an unpleasant one - they'd survived a couple of nights there in the past - but she wasn't in a hurry to go back any time soon. "Well, consider me sold," she replied ironically, putting emphasis on her first and last words as if to entertain the man's joke.

Back to the matter at hand; she watched intently as Jim tapped on a couple of the options, nodding agreeably when asked how they look. Ava pursed her lips in thought. She made no immediate indication as to which of the options struck her fancy. "Hmm..." She leaned over to get a better look at the scroll, a finger pressing on her bottom lip. Unbeknownst to the Huntress, her eyes would subconsciously linger on the water-based inn. It was the first tab that she clicked on to get a better look at the preview pictures, and was the one that stole her attention for the longest time by quite a margin. Her focus briefly shifted to the other choices for a couple of seconds each before she shrugged, leaning back against the tree, eyes still on the water inn. "Yeah, I think they all look cute. Which one do you like?"

On the topic of travel, Ava raised an eye at the suggestion that they walk. She didn't shoot it down immediately, holding her tongue to consider the pros and cons. It would take a lot longer; bad. They'd get to spend a lot more time together; good. They'd probably have to camp out in the woods; bad, most likely. They could always fly back instead of walking at the end; great. Her expression changed from suspicious to neutral, to one of intrigue, and then finally acceptance. "... Alright. Screw it, why not?" She gave a cool smile, stretching both arms up over her head. "It could be fun, one last adventure before the hard work really starts. We can put in some overtime to make up for the time off, plus, those sorta remote villages always will have little jobs here and there to keep us topped up."

In the distance, the wind howled.

... as did something else.
#08ADFF
Jim Lavay

There was a clear grin on Jim's face at her initial response. At least, until they started to dive into the different locations. Jim's eyes would go from the Scroll over to Ava and it was pretty obvious as too what her choice was going to be. As for him Vale had all three of these sceneries. However, more than the other two it had a ton of woods and forest. Which admittedly was beautiful, but it also was nothing exciting. This left the other two and both seemed quite nice, so he was more than happy to chime in after being asked. "I think the one on the water seems awesome and really relaxing! How about you?" It was a mostly rhetorical question, but he did his best to at least feign some ignorance. Though the smile on his face would not help that.

What did come as a surprise to him was the fact that Ava was willing to make that walk. So much so that he blurted out. "Really?" In an excited tone before immediately following up with an... "That sounds actually like a lot of fun. Cass always told me about how much fun her team had doing stuff like that. Wandering the villages. Helping out the little guys. I'm certain that I can get enough time to make this happen." Eventually he just couldn't help himself and he gave a little fist pump with his free hand. "Hell yeah, this is going to be awes..."

It was at that point that both the wind and the creatures behind it came back into reality.

"Ahh hell..." There was a funny thing about being a huntsman. Despite the fact that He and Ava had been sitting her relaxing, joking, and even planning a vacation. The training and the senses never once dulled. The moment that Jim heard that howl in the distance her gave her a nod and snapped into action. Of course, as they had already established it was highly unlikely that they would be outmatched by anything this close to the city. At least, not without having heard of it first. Still as he grasped onto the hilt of his sword, he wasn't about to let something sneak up on them.

That said, at the end of the day Jim was still Jim and he knew his partner well. Which meant that even in the face of the creatures of Grimm he was not about to let an opportunity pass them by. "So..." He chuckled. "...who ever scores the most kills get to pick breakfast?" Which in their case depending on how much longer this night goes may be the end of their day instead of the beginning. Then again there was a certain charm to that too.
Talking | Thinking

Ava Blueblood

When Jim made 'his' preference of location known, Ava sent him a cheeky grin and nodded eagerly when asked what she thought about it. She knew exactly what she was doing, not a trace of shame to be found in her smug expression. She sent the man a shrug when he showed surprise at her willingness to walk to their destination. Ava was lazy, true, but if there was anything that she liked more than sleeping, it was the thrill of adventure. Naturally, she was still going to complain that her feet hurt all along the lengthy trek; the strongest relationships are built on compromises.

The way that Jim talked about Cass's adventures always filled the girl with a sense of such excitement. The older Huntress had already lived the life that Ava wanted to lead herself, after all, and the woman was desperate to get entangled in some heroic adventures of her own now that both she and Jim were fully licensed. Before they could talk about things any further, however, excitement would morph into alarm as the howling of Grimm echoed throughout the forest. Ava scrambled to get up on her feet, grasping her shield in one hand on the way up. She couldn't quite see any of the Grimm through the gaps in the trees, where a layer of fog had settled on the forest that made it difficult to see further than 20 feet ahead, though the pattering of claws on dirt in the distance suggested the fiends weren't so far off.

They had already beaten far worse than anything they could encounter in the tame forests surrounding Vale, however, the lowered visibility demanded a greater level of care than usual. Still, when Jim proposed the bet, she couldn't help but gaze at him with side-eyes and a send the man a smirk. "... you're on. Assists count for half-points?"

A wild Beowolf appeared in the North, erupting from the brush with a vicious swipe of its claws and a deafening roar. From the West and clad from tail to tusk in plates of solid bone, an Alpha Boarbatusk burst into sight, shattering the trunk of a fallen tree to sawdust as it barrelled straight toward the humans. "Shit- Alpha!" In a display of speed that betrayed the weight of her shield, she lept in front of Jim in the path of the rolling Grimm and wedged the base of her shield into the dirt at an angle. "Ramping up!" she screamed, signalling her intent to the Huntsman.
#08ADFF
Jim Lavay

The smile that had pretty much been glued on his face for the duration of this conversation lingered throughout the end. Even into the impending conflict. Especially for the future plans just on the horizon her was motivated even further to make sure they kicked some butt. Naturally, the little playful wager assisted in these good vibes as well. "Heh, sounds good. Can't go discouraging us from some of those famous team attacks we perfected." He grinned at her before shifting his eyes forward again. He was a so pumped that if there was any true merit to the negative emotion drawing them. He might damn well just be invisible to the Grimm.

This would of course be immediately disproven by the arrival of an Alpha. The jagged boned and towering beast could strike fear in many a new student to Beacon. They were quite the foe after all, and it certainly was more that Jim was expecting as he said. "Oh spicy!" With a bit of a chuckle while swinging his sword around.

Luckily for the pair they were some silly freshmen out on their first mission. They were huntsmen, they were prepared, and they knew each other fully. So, the moment Ava sprang into action and called out Jim would nod in response. "Got it!" Flipping the switch on his sword the colossal blade would ignite in an inferno, and he would charge forward. Using his partners Dust-Filled shield as a springboard to steal the high ground from the tall Grimm.

"Grrr!" Growling he would fly right over top of it. A hard swing from the creature would just barely miss and as he flew by the powerful boy would rip a hard arcing slash right to it's upper back. Bone and bits would go flying as the terrible creature reeled in anguish. Stumbling forward towards Ava it was open for the finishing blow. "He's all yours finish em!" Jim shouted with a giant smile as he looked forward hearing more creatures off in the distance.

Reading himself. Jim said. "Get your score card out it looks like the rest of their pack is here to play!"
Talking | Thinking

Ava Blueblood

Ava flexed every muscle in her body as Jim sprang from the base of the shield and flew through the air, slashing the creature true across its back. She knew to be ready when the Grimm swung wildly, uncertain of which way to defend itself as it became dazed by the attack and sandwiched between two humans. Ava yanked Praesidium from the dirt and shifted the weapon to its battleaxe form, the head of the weapon trailing behind as she stood ready with two hands on the handle. The Alpha stumbled closer and just as it appeared to find its footing in front of the woman, Ava roared with a ferocity that betrayed her stature and bent her knees into a high jump, raising the axe from below into an uppercut in hopes to split the beast from groin to neck.

Her aim was off, leaving only a gash across the length of the Alpha's stomach and a nasty glint in its eye as it honed in on the Huntress suspended in the air above. Ava hadn't a moment to react as the beast struck her with dagger-like claws, sending her body 10 feet through the air. She howled in pain and hit the ground with a loud thud - the impact was dampened by her sturdy aura but a blow such as that so early on in the night had shaken her confidence. The Huntress wouldn't show it - she gritted her teeth, picked herself up from the ground and shook off some dirt, before gesturing at the Huntsman to back off. "I got this - more over there!" She pointed past the man - nastly snarls and rumbling emanated from an opening in the forest. The pack was here.

The Alpha sensed its advantage and made a wild dash at the woman; Ava started to swing the axe around her body in a wide continuous movement, tracing circles through the air to build the axe's momentum. As the monster sprang into the air with claws oustretched, Ava ducked beneath the creature just as it would reach her and jumped upwards and to the side - inertia brought the weapon near to the ground and then up into the air with unstoppable force, slicing the creature clean in two at the heart. The vicious beast's bone-clad halves fell to the floor a few feet away and Ava landed with a grunt, catching the battleaxe in both hands with little struggle.

Sloppy, she hated to admit, but it was a kill nonetheless. With hopes that the man was faring well, Ava looked across to Jim, revelling in very brief respite to gather her breath.
#08ADFF
Jim Lavay

Looking back just long enough to see Ava give the order to keep moving which drew a nod from Jim as well as a simple. "Got it and kick it's ass!" He chuckled lightly. After all, even with a misstep or a wiff there wasn't a Beowolf in the world that could match Ava 1 v 1!

Turning his attention forward again even in the darkened starry sky Jim could see what appeared to be a whole pack. Perhaps it was even big enough for two which meant there might be another Alpha lurking around or something even bigger. The thought of which admittedly brought a grin to his face, and as soon as he could see them, he made the call out. "Looks like a Pack maybe two! Engaging!" Of course, after years of fighting together the pair most likely did not even have to communicate anymore in combat. However, he figured it wouldn't hurt due to the time off and the poor visibility. So, with his sword at the ready the huntsmen did just that and advanced in the direction.

After about Twenty yards Jim came to another small clearing and what he had hoped the wolves would see as their advantage. Not wanting to screw around with this many, or well... not screw around much. He internally chuckled to himself as he closed his eyes and opened them back up again. They glowed a dull yellow instead of the fiery blaze that they had in the past. A new technique that he had mastered recently from his sister where he taps only a portion of his semblance. Time would seemingly speed up and slow down all at the same time as he felt the barriers and limits fall around him.

A second later the first wolf leaped from the edge of the clearing. It's crimson eyes eerily blazing in the nice it's claws sharp as blade seemed to twinkle in the shattered moon's light. Yet when it was mere inches away from Jim's back, he whirled around in a hard cleave ripping the beast in two. It's have splitting and missing him entirely. "Who's next!" He called out in taunt to the horrific creatures as they began to approach from all sides.

However, in a golden flash of aura, and the mighty streak of fire as he ignited his sword. They two fell before the huntsman and he had yet to receive a scratch. Even though these may have been some of the lesser beasts and even a mid-level student could pull the stunt. It was done with a precision, clarity, and confidence that only a true huntsman could show case.

Of course, more linger on the edges. Their eyes continuing to haunt the night, and as he looked to Ava to see her finish the massive wolf he nodded. Pointing. "Second pack is coming around. You got more incoming from your right. Small ones! Show em what's up!" He encouraged his partner with the joy of love and the intensity of his semblance.
Talking | Thinking

Ava Blueblood

Ava admired the ferocity with which Jim dispatched the Grimm. Unfaltering, relentless, and masterful. She had no doubts that he had the makings of a great Huntsman, if not having already proven himself to be one of Beacon's top alum of the year. Like a fan at the theatre who'd been brought back to Earth after curtain close, her admiration halted abruptly and she headed the call of the warrior, head snapping in the direction of the incoming Grimm. Ava made a serious nod towards the leader and shifted her weapon into shield form, taking up a defensive stance up as she sized up the pack that was gunning for her life.

Three young beowolves, judging by the girth of the spikes along their spines. What they lacked in size was compensated for in agility and dexterity, as they weaved over and in between bushes in an unnerving show of coordination. Acknowledging her weakness against multiple fast targets, Ava cursed and shouted across to Jim, "looks like size isn't the only thing that matters. Let you know if I need a hand!"

The first two beowolves pulled ahead of the third and made a coordinated dash towards the Huntress. Ava side-stepped right into the path of one, bashing the beast with her shield and blocking a swipe of the other's claws. With the Grimm's balance gone, she bashed its muzzle once more and stamped viciously at its knee-cap, inverting the bend of the creature's leg with a snap that lifted the hairs on the Huntress' neck. The third beast caught up and made an identical lunge at Ava, which she blocked just in time. Maimed, the kneecapped beowolf let out a howl - which sounded more like a whimper - and the other two stepped in between their kin and the Huntress, blocking any possibility of a quick kill for the girl.

Ava jumped back, only to feel her back pressed against a tree. Thinking quickly, she shifted Praesidium to battle-axe form, stepped aside, and, in one smooth motion, swung the weapon around in a circle with all her might, slicing through the trunk of the tree like a hot knife through butter. Still at first, the monolithic tree slowly began to shift from its base and, rapidly gaining in speed, descended upon the pack of still beowolves. The trio of Grimm, before they even knew of any imminent danger, were flattened under the weight of collosal tree into a shape reminiscent of pancakes, with only one of the beast's arms sticking out from beneath - it made a final, desperate stretch of its claws before falling to the grass lifelessly, disintegrating.

Meanwhile, an earth-shattering roar echoed from deep within the forest. Ava's heart skipped a beat. Her eyes snapped towards Jim, unease replacing the look of blissful arrogance she'd normally wield. She called, just loud enough to pass as a shout, "Another alpha?"
#08ADFF
Jim Lavay

There was a strange mixture of emotions for Jim as he looked back to see Ava surrounded by some of the pack. Of course, given who the pair were the first of which would be humor. As even in the face of it all both just had a knack for making quips. Perhaps it eased the tension, it certainly increased morale, and maybe in a strange way even helped keep the focus. Yet another reason why the pair made such an incredible combo at the Academy. Though despite all of that he could help the other emotions as well. A slight concern as silly as it sounded because he cared for her so much. A lot of encouragement as her shouted back after chuckling to the joke. "Heh, I've got this, and you've got that, girl. Show those lil guy's what's up!" He smiled and even took the moment too throw his fist up in a cheer. Then, lastly would be the swell of pride when the huntress took a page out of his book and used the forest like a weapon.

Before that last one however, Jim had a few more to deal with. As he turned about after that energetic fist pump a wolf would already be mid leap at him. As his golden eyes burned away, he would eschew the great sword and just swing that fist and hey-maker the creature right in the head. Now Jim may not have been the smarted student at Beacon, nor the fastest, or even the toughest. A title that was easily reserved for his partner. What he was though, was one of if not the strongest. A badge that he wore with equal parts pride and the hard work it took to achieve. This meant that moment that, semblance-fueled, full bodied fist met the Beowolf it would explode in a black and red mist. Which very fortunately matched his attire.

After that there would be a few more of the smaller Grimm, but they would take pause as that piercing howl shook the very ground around them. Hearing Ava, Jim would look up and leap back. "Can't get a good visual, but it sounds really damn big!" Perhaps whatever force was had these Grimm all riled up so near the city lay just beyond that tree line. Looking to his partner he would smile. "Looks like we'll get to have something memorable after the fact. Make sure you get your scroll ready for the pictures before it melts." He chuckled for a moment before getting serious again. Gripping his sword tightly. "Won't be the same without Sierra and Shana, but hope you still remember some of our team attack. Cause the second that thing comes out let’s hit it with the good ol, high low!"

Once said, Jim would ready himself as the fiery embers of his semblance burned a little bright. Ready to explode off the ground as soon as it came into view aiming to turn himself into huntsmen shaped rocket at its upper mass.
Talking | Thinking

• Information