Back with a Bang (Private w/ Ava Blue)

This area is outside of Vale's walls, but within a relatively safe distance of the city.
Jim Lavay
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Human
Aura Color: Gold
Semblance Name: Redline - Hereditary
Weapon Name: Reclamation

After a massive crash Jim took a nice big gasp of air. A bit of dust clearing as he shook his hand. What little remained of the tree stump in front of him brought about a laugh. Peering around he would yell back to his partner. "Clear! You?" Assuming she responded as such as well. He would then start heading back over in her direction. Pulling that colossal blade out of the ground on his way. "Okay, Maaaybe that was a little over kill, but ya know maybe even they get scared from time to time." He held a wide grin on his face as if fighting to not burst into full blown laughter. Of course, despite his exuberance he would make sure to ask. "You doin okay?"

The alert that they had responded to turned out to be a real threat. Several waves of Grimm were passing a bit too close to the main city. So, after reporting on the scene along with a few other huntsmen. They had been asked to fan out in the wilderness and either draw attention away from the city or at the very least break up the herds. Luckily, the reports said that it was almost entirely land based Grimm and mostly the run of the mill stuff. Beos, Ursas, Boars, the generic stuff that even new student could handle. At least in small doses.

Naturally, this meant that at least thus far they hadn't faced anything too threatening which was probably why the alert wasn't more severe. It also meant that at least Jim was having a great time. It was so much fun fighting a long side Ava again. He'd even chuckle a bit as they were in a lull for the moment. "Dang should have snagged a few bottles to go." As he said that the junior huntsmen would plop down near her taking a short breather.
Talking | Thinking

Personal Motto: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and damn, I've almost died a lot.
Ava Blue
Gender Identity: Female
Aura Color: Sky blue
Semblance Name: Crystal Barriers
Weapon Name: Prae

Ava swung with all the strength that she could muster and buried her shieldaxe into the Ursa's back. The creature gave one last ghastly roar as it reared onto its hind legs, desperately swiping at the air in front of it in a bid to fight back. It tripped on a rock, stumbling backwards, and landed on the ground with a thud as Ava's axe was forced through its body and out of the stomach. Even the Huntress, no stranger to witnessing a Grimm being torn in half by her partner, had to wince and give a little "oof" at the sight.

When Jim called out, she briefly surveyed the trees to make sure nothing else wanted a piece of them and safely declared "Clear!" after confirming they were alone. Fanning away the smoke that was rising from the cadaver, Ava grasped her weapon. The crystals were nearly spent and the blade was already looking dull, but it would hold up for the rest of the night provided they didn't run into an army of Grimm.

"You never know, maybe they'll spook if they see a larger-than-life sword boomerang around the forest?" Turning to Jim, she gave a reassuring smile. "All good, chief. Prae's looking more and more busted by the second but she'll see me through to the end of the mission." After leaning against a tree that Jim hadn't yet chopped in two, she slowly slid onto the forest floor with one leg outstretched, finally taking a second to breathe as the fatigue began to catch up with her.

"As tempting as it is to pour one out right now, I'd really rather not get our asses suspended on my first mission." She rolled her head on the tree bark to look Jim in the eyes. "Later?" At the rate things were going, it wouldn't take them long to clear out their sect of the forest. The types of Grimm native to Vale were some of the easiest to handle, plus they'd killed at least a dozen of each variant before. It would be embarrassing if this wasn't a cakewalk for the pair.

That said, Ava was starting to feel the burn. "How is it that I go a month without the gym and my fitness levels turn to crap? I can already feel my legs hurting tomorrow. At least one of us still looks good," she said, half as a compliment, half out of envy. The forest had grown particularly quiet since the last wave of Grimm was cleared out, and the two would need to move further away from the city before encountering more, unless they waited for the enemy to come to them. Not in any rush, Ava was content to stay put for the time being. The Huntress sighed, setting her weapon side. "How you holding up?" she asked, adding with a laugh, "Couldn't help but notice you took out a few trees there, bud."
#08ADFF
Jim Lavay
Gender Identity: Male
Aura Color: Gold
Semblance Name: Redline - Hereditary
Weapon Name: Reclamation

Relaxing a little bit as Ava said she was okay Jim found himself walking a bit of a line. Somewhere between completely enthused to be kicking ass with his partner again and... Being completely enthused to kick ass with his partner again! Which meant that it was nearly impossible for him to drop the big stupid grin on his face even as he took a couple deep breaths.

When she commented about the weapon that smile would continue as he nodded. "Heck yeah, that thing is a Beast. Fairly sure it holds the record at Beacon for most shots absorbed just to turn around and rip the Grimm in half!" After that he would roll his neck and plop down next to her. Sticking his scroll to his gauntlet just in case they got an alert while taking a small breather. "I don't know, not sure if there is a rule about that. You've met some of the more grizzled old huntsmen out there..." Laughing lightly through a short pause he'd hold a hand. "...that said, looking our best. I'm all about that!"

When Ava commented about her conditioning he would chuckle lightly and nod his head. Waiting until she finished the whole thought. "Yeah, I'm good, and hey… don't worry. It's crazy how it doesn't take long. I mean I always healed pretty quickly, and even still. After a week or two of dealing with an injury from one of our missions. I was definitely feeling it next time I stepped up." As Jim spoke, he would pull off his left gauntlet and laugh a little more. His knuckles were bit bruised as he flexed his hand. "Yeeeeaaaah... wasn't too bad cutting them but punching that last one may have been a bit counterproductive. Still all four of those totally count for me!"

That last little bit of banter brought back a bunch of fond memories about their teasing each other and counting. Especially as her playfully nudged her with his elbow. "...Don't worry though I'll make sure you have a chance to catch up." It would be at that point that the junior huntsmen would circle back a touch. "Speaking of which. You may be feeling your month, but from my perspective you kicked just as much ass as last time I saw." Then with that Jim would take a long deep breath as he looked up to the darkened sky.

"Damn... I missed this." Rolling his head and looking to Ava it would hopefully be clear what he was really referring too.
Talking | Thinking

Personal Motto: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and damn, I've almost died a lot.
Ava Blue
Gender Identity: Female
Aura Color: Sky blue
Semblance Name: Crystal Barriers
Weapon Name: Prae

In reaction to his poetic comments about her weapon, she huffed amusingly, still catching her breathe. True; many times had she deflected an attack and opened into a clean strike. It was a sort-of signature strategy for any one-on-one Grimm encounter, assuming they were barrelling head-first toward her. What he said next, she hadn't really considered before - why would anybody care if they were drinking on the job? They weren't students anymore, professors weren't going to chew them out for the consumption of alcohol on school grounds. It was a startling revelation to say the least.

Ava glanced down at Jim's hand as he pulled the gauntlet off, and she lifted it up a little closer to herself to get a better look. "Hmm..." She wondered if the city would have any words to say about them going full-on lumberjack in the outskirts. Letting go, she listened as he continued, even going so far as to compliment her performance compared to the last time they'd fought together. She couldn't hold back a smile knowing that at least Jim thought she was still performing well enough as a Huntress. "Aw-shucks, that mean's a lot to me. You don't look a day out of practice yourself," she returned, moving to nudge him in the shoulder.

The two of them were alone in the midst of an empty forest, with nary a thing but the twinkling stars to keep them company. It was an idyllic scene, a picturesque end to a day full of action and adventure. Okay, the 'adventure' was a car drive around town and the 'action' was getting drunk in a bar at 9pm followed by an emergency mission to slay some measly Grimm, but not even the coldest heart could deny the allure of a moment like this. She could see him looking at her out of the corner of her eye, and she rolled her eyes a little before meeting his gaze. "I missed this too. This is all pretty romantic, isn't it?"

She pondered something for a second, her vision shifting and fixing on a school of fireflies in the distance. "So, this might sound a little crazy," she started, shifting her weight to lay on one side before returning her attention to Jim. "What do you think about booking a trip somewhere? I don't care where or when, just, some place where it can be just us. With that big job coming up, who knows when we'll both be free again?"
#08ADFF
  • Information