Those Who Learn From History [Private with Pericles]

Where the bulk of Vale's population lives, plus the Mall and street markets!
Claire Buíocán
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Human
Aura Color: translucent - see Semblance
Semblance Name: Mythmaker
Weapon Name: Síofra

Claire raised her arms above her head, leaned back, and stretched, a yawn sneaking its way out. She'd been cooped up in the library all day with a good book, and it was time to see about finding her evening meal.

Turning left toward the street full of restaurants she'd seen yesterday, she set off at a laid-back stroll breathing in the still-warm late afternoon air and reveling in the openness of the sky. She'd spent far too long helping the new branch in Mistral get up and running and was getting rather sick of the sight of endless trees blocking the stars. It was the stars more than anything that reminded her of home, and not being able to see them had been nearly torture, but the work was important. What was her going a few months without stars next to the people in remote villages going a weeks without food and months between official Hunter patrols?

There she went again, monologuing her personal philosophy to herself like she didn't already know it. "I need a drink," Claire sighed as she turned the corner onto what the locals affectionately called Eatery Avenue.
Claire moralizes in bolded 000000.
Claire's Semblance speaks to her in 757575.

You can find EPs for all my characters here.
Pericles Herodotus Ozymandias
Gender Identity: Male
Race: Faunus: Lion's Mane
Aura Color: Constellation Blue
Semblance Name: Pharoahs Endevour
Weapon Name: King of Kings

Pericles tugged at his collar nervously. He'd never been one to fret over his own appearance in a manner beyond simple manners and dressing properly for the occasion, but this was new. Growing up always wearing traditional Mistralian clothing, Pericles had always harbored a secret appreciation for early modern Valean fashion. That wasn't to say that he didn't like any of the clothes he wore back home, he truly did, and chose to wear them over more modern Mistralian garb, but he still was interested in trying it.

Now, wearing a white button up, a pair of lapis blue pants and a matching vest, Pericles couldn't help but feel like he looked off. He had passed a couple of people along the way from Beacon as he made his way through the city of Vale, and every so often he'd see someone look over and stare. At first he thought he might've had some dirt on his outfit of something, but when he didn't find anything and more people stared as he went by, he eventually came to the conclusion that his outfit itself must've looked ridiculous.

Resigning himself to never experimenting with fashion again, Pericles stepped into the traditional Mistralian restaurant on the corner of the road. Deep down he wanted to just head back to Beacon and change clothes, but he was so hungry from missing breakfast and lunch to go shopping for the very outfit he wore now. At 6'8" and well over 200 lbs, Pericles certainly could eat quite a bit.

Stepping inside, Pericles nodded to a couple of the employees working that day that he recognized. Beyond being the main place he went to eat outside of the Beacon cafeteria, the restaurant was also where he did most of his tutoring sessions for kids who needed help in history or language studies.

Ordering himself a couple platters of fried cheese, pita bread, and sliced bass, Pericles couldn't help but notice that business seemed slow today. So far the only other customer he'd seen had been the older couple leaving the restaurant as he passed them at the entrance.
Those who learn from history are destined to re-achieve it!
Claire Buíocán

As much as she'd hated all the trees in Mistral, her most recent trip there had been enjoyable on the whole. Especially the food - which she realized she was remembering as she spied the traditional Mistralian eatery and smelled what was coming out of it.

Claire supposed that settled the question of what she would have for dinner. She stepped inside, the tinkle of a bell alerting the staff to her arrival. The host gestured to the dining area, silently inviting her to sit where she liked as he collected a table setting and a menu. Claire waved her hand to forestall him, however.

"I'll have the house special," she declared cheerily, "and a bottle of something old that pairs well." The host perked up at her choice, giving her a polite nod before heading off toward the kitchen to relay her order.

Now then, where to sit? There was only one other customer in the establishment: a very tall, well-built man in a striking blue ensemble that declared a fashion sense wholly unlike most residents of Vale. This young man was blazing his own path: Claire could get behind that.

"A bold choice," Claire commented as she sat. "Unconventional and uncompromising, yet flattering and fashionable. It suits you well," she complimented.

Pericles let his mind drift off in the hopes that it'd stave away the intense hunger he felt as he waited for his food to arrive. Eventually, his mind arrived at a familiar destination, deep within his psyche.

There he was, a hundred years ago, in the courtroom of his 2nd-great-grandfather, the emperor of Mistral. He stood by his ancestors side as a procession entered the lavish and artistic room, a testament to Mistral's wealth and culture.

The Atlesians had arrived, and with them came the king of Mantle himself. The king was here to convince the emperor of Mistral to do away with art, culture, and individuality in order to prevent Grimm attacks. Pericles was there though, he was an advisor to his ancestor and would one day rule Mistral himself, he could whisper but a word in his emperor's ear and Mistral would not fall to such-

Pericles' mind abruptly came back to focusing on the world around him, he was back in Gorkhali's Taste of Culture. Someone had just sat across from him.

'Vacuoan,' Pericles determined instantly, 'affluent or a fairly good thief,' came next when he noticed her attire and that Marco had started rooting around in the expensive win cabinet; though as of the moment, he wasn't certain which one. When she spoke, he found himself still perplexed by the stranger before him, 'A compliment wrapped up in confidence of superior knowledge. It could be a sign of wealthy arrogance, or it's an attempt to lower my guard for theft.'

Uncertain of the stranger's nature, Pericles decided to forgo his regular greeting and play his cards close to his chest. After all, he didn't need to be advertising his own wealth to a possible thief, or even to an aristocrat who was looking to boost her own coffers, "Good afternoon, I thank you for your kind words, your own outfit is quite stunning as well. I'm Pericles by the way, may I know your name?"
Claire Buíocán

A whole bottle of the good stuff? Her tip will make up for the slow day today.

Her compliment stirred the young man from where appeared to have been lost in thought. Vacuan. Affluent, or a fairly good thief. Claire's eyes sharpened as she reclined in her chair. This young man was no stranger to the darker truths of the world if his first impression of her was so... ambivalent. Her compliment was returned in kind, whether out of protocol or opinion Claire was unsure.

Then he introduced himself, and she immediately understood. So this was Pericles Ozymandias. She'd heard that the scion of two old royal houses would be attending Beacon Academy this year, of course - in her line of work it would have been impossible for her not to. By all accounts, the boy was paradoxically the golden child and a bit of an odd duck - he'd excelled in all the lessons his family had set for him, but he had also chosen to study the culinary arts in his own time: cooking was a servant's duty to the upper crust, so for him to have taken to such lessons with the same excellence was out of the ordinary.

"I thank you for the compliment," she responded smoothly, electing to give a more political introduction rather than her originally-intended casual one. "I am known to many, and by many names am I known. I would imagine that the scion of House Ozymandias would know me best from the name 'Requiter', though the young man seated before me in a humble Valean eatery may better know the tale of the Family's Founding."

She smiled, a genuine smile, not a political one. "My name is Claire Buíocán, and I am she who first began walking the road of Restitution all those years ago."

Pericles paused for a few moments, mulling over Claire's words before his posture suddenly changed. Sitting up straighter, Pericles let himself drop the facade of the polite child meeting a stranger for the first time.

"It appears that you know me, but for the sake of honor and certainty, allow me to properly introduce myself this time." Clasping his hand across his chest in Vacish greeting, Pericles also bowed his head slightly in Mistralian manners, then he spoke, "Well met Ms. Buíocán, I am Pericles Herodotus Ozymandias, son of Dryo Alcmaeonidae and Ramses Ozymandias, studier of lost echoes and buried tales." Then, in a manner uncharacteristic to his regular greeting, Pericles said the last part of it aloud, the part that he usually only said to himself, "And the rightful ruler of Mistral and Vacuo." As he had spoken, Pericles allowed his Semblance to activate, the Eye of Horus appeared over his left eye as suddenly all of the dust in the room froze in place. Then, just as quickly, the dust flew across the room to the doors to the kitchen and front door of the restaurant, hardening in the air into a rock-like substance, Pericles barricaded the doors, leaving Claire and himself as the only occupants.

"Forgive me if I am misinterpreting your intentions Ms. Buíocán, but something tells me that you meeting me here was not chance. I understand your crusade for equal treatment, but I'd ask that if you wanted to discuss business that you had contacted me first, it's quite impolite to show up unannounced." Pericles chastised with no heat, after all, 'The political world is a theater, and I know my lines. That's why I have the lead role.' He thought with gentle humor.

"Either way," Pericles waved off the matter with air of authoritative benevolence, "Something tells me with your information network that you already knew all of that. If that's the case, then I suppose I am curious as to why you are here, from what I've understood of your organization, your goal is equality for all, yes? I don't see how my political moves hinder that effort in any way."

"Unless of course," Pericles challenged with a devious smile, "that whole equality movement you've been pushing for is just a facade, in which case I must applaud you, you're quite the propaganda savant."
Claire Buíocán

The boy was indeed of political mind. He intended to rule two kingdoms, did he? Claire knew how farfetched such a dream was, but if anyone had the outside chance to make that particular dream reality it would be Pericles here.

”Your Semblance will serve you far better in Vacuo than it did in Mistral,” she commented lightly. ”However, when it comes time for you to seriously pursue your goal, I caution you to remember that the sands of Vacuo belong to no one - they move where they will, and hide much that should remain forgotten.” Not all of Vacuo’s rulers had been remembered fondly, even by their peers.

As to his suggestion of their meeting not being coincidence, Claire’s shoulders relaxed and she let out an easy laugh. ”I will admit, Young Master Ozymandias, that I leave very little in my life to chance. It is, as you say, one of the many benefits that befall the leader of such a wide-reaching organization as mine. However, today it truly was coincidence. I am here for a good meal and an engaging conversation about the future of Remnant, but I could take or leave either should you wish a return to solitude.” She smiled, this one smaller but no less genuine. ”As to my organization, I understand how one might see our goal as being equality for all. And I’ll be the first to admit that it didn’t begin as anything but a propaganda machine meant to bring myself enough influence to leave my mark on the world. Over time, however, I came to share my dream with them, and they shared theirs with me in turn. My propaganda movement became something else: something bigger than anything I could have imagined.” Her smile grew fond as she recalled the events of that first Family Meeting, where the Tenets were first inscribed, her eyes twinkling as she spoke of those people she now called brothers and sisters.

Pericles laughed internally at Claire's criticism of the strength of his Semblance, 'Ah, another person who doesn't understand the true power of my abilities. While I'd hate to do it to someone so nice, if I need to take her out of the picture, then so be it. Well, I could at least try just crippling her first, but she'd still have the power of her voice and influence then.' Pericles felt himself sigh, 'We could probably be great allies, but it seems she isn't too fond of one person having so much power. A little bit hypocritical honestly, Ha! We are all hypocrites at the end of the day, at least she's like me and willing to admit that we're fine with someone having overwhelming power, so long as we're the one's in charge.'

Pericles steepled his hands before himself and stroked his lion's mane in thought, not unlike how philosophers of old would ponder the universe with the wisps of their beard between their fingers, "No, I'm more than willing to have a discussion with someone of your caliber, nor am I so callous as to deny you the ancient rights of a guest in my domain."

Pericles waved his with casual frivolousness and suddenly the two rocks formed around the doors to the room collapsed back into piles of dust. The door opened to reveal Augustus holding a platter of food and a befuddled expression, the man looked around for a moment before spotting the pile of dust by the door. His eyes widened in surprise as he rapidly marched over to Pericles and quickly depositing the wine and both Pericles' and Claire's food.

Understanding implicitly that Pericles wished to speak with him, Augustus leaned over so that Pericles could whisper in his ear, Pericles smiled gently at him as he spoke in a firm whisper, "I'm sorry Augustus, but it seems we have a bit of an unplanned business meeting, do you mind closing up early? It doesn't seem like anyone else is coming by today anyways."

Augustus nodded his head rapidly, "Of course, sir. No problem at all sir, I'll leave you to your meeting, do not hesitate to call for me if you need me." Then with a bit of haste in his step, Augustus walked away from the table tray in hand before locking the front door of the restaurant and then retreating to the kitchens.

Pericles gestured to the food before them with an open hand, "Please, I don't think either of us are in the mood to discuss matters on an empty stomach." As he said this, he uncorked the Mistralian wine and poured out a comfortable glass for Claire.

"I'll be transparent with you Ms. Buíocán, your influence in Vacuo far outstrips my own, but my hold in Mistral is nearly absolute. Neither of us are strangers to the corruption in the Mistralian council, nor the ineptitude of the Vacuoan one. Thankfully for me, most of those who sit on the Mistralian one are former nobles who miss the hayday of their family's wealth in power, despite never having been alive to see it. Though, they're still better than these new 'noble' families who also sit on the council, all the while standing before a pile of bodies and smuggled goods. You on the other hand, you had to build an empire within an already established Kingdom, seeing as the Vacuoan council is a lost cause." Pericles took a breath once he realized he was rambling, "My apologies, to make my point simple, we both have problems with the current way Remnant is progressing and we both want to be the catalyst for change. I hope that we can discuss here how to prevent our independent endeavors from clashing and leaving us both stuck in a broken system."
Claire Buíocán

Another person who doesn't understand the true power of my abilities. It was perhaps too much for Claire to ask of the young man to understand the metaphor.

While I'd hate to do it to someone so nice, if I need to take her out of the picture, then so be it. Well, I could at least try just crippling her first, but she'd still have the power of her voice and influence then. How disappointing. A child not even half her age believed he stood a chance of defeating her in a fight? Claire resisted the urge to laugh, her smile turning into a tight-lipped smirk as he spoke again, going so far as to call this place 'his domain'. Ah, the assurance of youth.

The waiter locked the front door, and Claire caught his attention as he made his way toward the kitchen. "I apologize for bringing outside business into your employer's place of business, Augustus. Please tell Marco to come for Family dinner tomorrow - we've found him a sponsor." She hadn't recognized the host when she'd come in, but it took only a moment to peruse her newfound recollection of this month's Family activity to find him. An up-and-coming musician, it seemed, but not wealthy enough to make the study of his chosen craft his full-time endeavor. Not without help, at least.

She accepted the glass with a polite nod and aerated the wine, giving an appreciative nod at the legs when they appeared.

Then Pericles opened his mouth again, and Claire's expression turned disappointed. "You have made your position plain, Young Master Ozymandias, which is a courtesy not often afforded to one such as I. Allow me to return the courtesy by instructing you in the places where your understanding lags behind your ambition." She raised the glass and inhaled, taking in the aroma as she looked down at her plate to see what it was she had ordered to find a plate with more dolmades than she was entirely certain was warranted simply asking for the house special alongside a bowl of avgolemono.

Setting the glass down, her sharp gaze turned back to Pericles. "Your first misunderstanding is in how far exactly my... influence, as you put it, extends. In politics, I have none, nor will you find anyone in any position of power who will tell you otherwise. Nor, indeed, do I wish to possess any. Political power is of no use to me personally, though it is a tool often employed by my Family. The Council in Vacuo is a reflection of the Monarchy that preceded it - too concerned with appearances and grand gestures to accomplish anything tangible. Those who truly wish to make a genuine difference too encumbered by the complexities of an ancient bureaucracy to be able to stand up for anything meaningful in a large enough capacity as to make any actual changes. This problem is one that we... sidestepped, rather than confront directly: as the government is ineffectual, its members, policies, and goings-on haven't been relevant to the day-to-day of the populace in quite some time. As to Mistral's Council..." She picked up her spoon and took a large mouthful of the soup, sighing appreciatively at the taste.

"You are a student of history, so you are no doubt aware that there have been many regimes throughout the ages whose rule ended in ignominy because the would-be-rulers forgot the most fundamental truth of authority: that it is derived not from personal power, military might, or even economic influence - it is derived from the consent of the governed. One can, of course, use their own personal power, military might, or economic influence to procure that consent, but these approaches have a fatal flaw: they require one to spend those resources to acquire that consent. That is the very reason the Lord of Vestiarmis recently found his entire villa eroded away one morning: he forgot to pay the man who was building it, and it was repossessed. Because you know this, you also know why the Kingdoms' Ruling Councils were established, and how those in charge of running the Kingdoms maintain their authority: they have the people's trust." Claire swirled her glass again and took a slow sip, her eyes twinkling as she continued to monologue. Her words were true, of course, and she knew that she wasn't telling him anything he didn't already know, but she was more interested in his reaction to her rambling than in his reaction to the words themselves.

"It's a funny thing - the people's trust. So long as the people believe that you have their best interests at heart, then even if you fall short of attaining that goal, you have it. This is why Vale's Council has governed its Kingdom smoothly and mostly without incident since it was formed. It is why the Vacuo Council is, as you said, a lost cause, but it is also why the Council of Mistral is in the unique position of being mistrusted yet unchallenged." She picked up her knife and fork and relaxed into her chair. Now," she sighed, gesturing to Pericles with her fork. Your stated goal is to rule over what one might consider your birthright. Knocking down the establishment in Vacuo will be no obstacle, but how will you deal with Mistral?"
Last edited by Claire Buíocán on Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pericles initially let out a small chuckle at the patronizing smile Claire sent him, it was clear that she still was underestimating him, but that was fine it was better your opponent never knew your true strength.

"Poaching my clients right in front of me, I certainly didn't take you for the type." Pericles commented idly, though for the first time during their conversation their was an edge of annoyance to his voice, though it quickly dispersed.

Pericles laughs openly at Claire's words of having no influence in politics, "Perhaps not in any official capacity, but you have influence all the same. You have seen the anger of the various mobs and crime families for the disruption in their activities that your Family causes. There is one place, and one place only that anger truly arises from, and that's fear, the criminal syndicates of Mistral and Vacuo, several of which who do hold political power, fear you, and fear is influence. One should of course never rule through fear, it breeds unrest, but you have influence behind closed doors, where they rave against your actions."

Taking a couple bites of fried cheese and fish before he continued speaking, "As for the previous Vacuoan monarchy, you will find no disagreement in their droll excuse of a government. Though, that shouldn't be too surprising, when their dynasty began, they foolishly selected a new family to be their royal advisors, despite the fact that my own family had been fulfilling that duty with exemplary results for centuries. The first hiccup in the downfall of the monarchy was my family's removal. Different royal families came and went, but my family was a constant. Ever since Malik the Sunderer, we had been there to make sure that no king or queen became too prideful, too opening, too isolationist, too foolish." Pericles practically spat the last word, venom leaking into his voice.

Pericles let his temper steady as he sampled his food once again, though for a man of his side, sampling food was whole meals for some, "Yes, you have sidestepped the council of Vacuo, and you may call your group what you want, but at the end of the day you are a nation that is growing. You may not have any defined territory yet, but you have a people, and a people is all it takes to form a pride in one's own community that eventual evolves into independent identities from the Kingdom they stand within. Sure, your follows may still call themselves Vacuoans, but they are your family's Vacuoans, they would never except to be the Council's Vacuoans, would they?"

Pericles sighed contentedly with Claire's talk of winning the people's favor, 'Hmm... She's ignorant of the state of unrest in Mistral, though to no fault of her own I suppose, she can't be everywhere at once. Perhaps the blame should be placed on whoever serves as her informants, they appear to be quite impotent at their jobs to miss something as blatant as this. Unless...' Pericles considered with an internal grin, 'They're incredibly good at their jobs of infiltration. It would make sense after all, with an organization as large as hers, people could be able to slip under the radar, at least for a time. Either way, no reason to give her an advantage, or give her any ideas about encroaching on my sphere of influence.'

"Yes, unchallenged." Pericles said neutrally, merely let her continue with her false information, after all, this was a business meeting and when bargaining was to be made, he'd need to have some chips to place on the table.

Pericles snorted slightly at her description of the difficulty in knocking down Vacuo, his mind immediately moving past it as a non-issue. Turning his mind to Mistral he spoke, "Now, now, that would be awfully unwise of me to tell you that, don't you think? We're here to negotiate after all, and I can't be giving everything up for nothing in return. Frankly, I feel that the only way to properly begin such a discussion between two groups as influential as ours is to put up some collateral. I'd suggest the traditional way of our ancestors with a hostage exchange, though please do not fret, I do not mean anything as barbaric as that sounds."

"Simply put, hostages (and I use that word quite lightly), will stay with their respective parties, instead we shall merely put forward a single person that we care about. If either party invalidates any agreements made today, then the other will now how to claim recompense. Of course, we both could easily lie and say someone that we don't truly have any attachment to, but I think we both know that it wouldn't be too long before the other found out about the falsehood. Besides, despite our differences, I do believe that we have quite a bit in common with how we believe the world can be changed for the better and as confident as we both may be in ourselves and our supporters, it really would be quite an undertaking to place all of Remnant under one banner, under one person. So, to put it simply, I'm hoping that we can come to a deal pertaining to our predicament. As the saying goes: Better the enemy you know, than the one you don't. However, in this case I'd rather know a friend than an enemy, I think we both have enough enemies for one lifetime." Pericles let out a soft chuckle at the end, finding his own words slightly amusing.
Last edited by Pericles Herodotus Ozymandias on Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claire Buíocán

She'd caught a nerve, it seemed. That was good - he wouldn't just take things lying down.

Claire gave him a small, approving smile as he pointed out that she did indeed hold political influence, whether she wished to use it or not. And rave the Council of Mistral did - quite frequently, at that. It was amusing, really - the new blood had clawed their way to power, and now that they had it, they couldn't let anyone else walk the same path - that would be their undoing just as surely as it had been the undoing of those they'd displaced to arrive at their own positions.

The late Vacuan Monarchy had indeed been foolish to cast aside the advisors who had served the throne for centuries - they had learned too late the cost of giving influence away rather than spending it.

Claire couldn't help chuckling at the phrase "the council's Vacuans" - there weren't any of those in Vacuo to begin with, much less any in the Family.

She's ignorant of the state of unrest in Mistral, though to no fault of her own I suppose, she can't be everywhere at once. Perhaps the blame should be placed on whoever serves as her informants, they appear to be quite impotent at their jobs to miss something as blatant as this. Unless... they're incredibly good at their jobs of infiltration. It would make sense after all, with an organization as large as hers, people could be able to slip under the radar, at least for a time. Either way, no reason to give her an advantage, or give her any ideas about encroaching on my sphere of influence.

Now there was an interesting misunderstanding - normally, she'd be quite pleased to be this far ahead of a potential adversary, but Claire had... higher goals for this conversation now that she'd actually met the young man.

An exchange of victim nominations? What was this, the Night Centuries? No, no, this would not do at all.

"I must confess myself disappointed, Young Master Ozymandias," Claire shook her head slowly before finishing her last spoonful of soup. It was quite good, and she couldn't help but eat it quickly. "To think someone as studied as yourself would conflate hostages with victims… disappointed indeed." Claire's smile was that of a snake who had discovered an unguarded clutch of eggs. "Fear not, child - and make no mistake, that is what you are - I have no designs on the government of Mistral, nor do I wish any ill fortune upon your own plans to take it." She wiped her mouth with her napkin before pouring herself the last of the wine. She had no doubt that they would be brought another bottle should they have need of it.

"The proper way," she continued coldly, "to begin a discussion between two organizations as resourceful as our own would be to be plain in our intentions, lest the other party retaliate when they learn of the falsehood." She paused to take in a slow breath, feigning a calming of temper. "A word of advice: you would do very well never to lie to me, boy. You're not nearly as good at hiding it as you think you are. Perhaps when you've lived to be my age you will have some skill of it." Then again, perhaps not, she thought with another shake of her head.

"I see no reason to paint a target on the head of an innocent person. The fact that you are willing to do so speaks volumes, Young Master. Unless you intended to put forth the name of a family member who is implicitly involved in your affairs, which would be against the spirit of your suggestion if not the letter. No, I believe this is where I correct your second misunderstanding. Claire took a sip of wine before sitting up straight and continuing.

"The Family is not an empire, and I didn't build it within Vacuo. The Founding took place in the upper room of a bar in Kuo Kuana, and its first major branch was established in Kuchinashi. I do not want to be the catalyst for change, young man - I am the change." Her grin darkened as she activated her Aura, just for a moment - though it was currently transparent, the effect of her presence growing for just that brief moment was unsettling to many and frightening to some. To Pericles, she expected it to be nothing more than a reminder that the young man was half her age and very far from home.

Sitting back abruptly, Claire let the sternness fall from her expression as her voice brightened to a friendly tone.
"As to our mutual mission, we are in agreement. The system is broken and needs replacing. The people are suffering, and those who crave power must be brought to heel. Our methods may differ, but I believe that you are genuine in your belief that your rule would be an improvement over current circumstances."

Crossing her arm over her midsection and resting her chin on her other hand, Claire smiled and posed a question. "Tell me, young man - what exactly is it that you think I'm trying to do?"

Pericles rolled his eyes, finally letting some of his manners fall away as Claire once again insulted him, again and again. He let her finish her lecturing and posturing in its entirety before he responded, lamenting his previous optimism the whole way through.

Pericles gave the air a few moments to sit after Claire finished speaking, making sure that she didn't have anything else to say, hoping slightly that she might realize that she'd made an error, but no such thing came. Pericles thought over the words grandstanding with an ever thinning patience, 'Clearly, she either truly knows very little of how this world works, or she's just ignoring what I'm saying.'

'Victims and hostages? Really?' Pericles was astonished that, that was what she equated it to, 'I suppose she's to ignorant of the past to recognize that it's merely a symbolic gesture to remind both parties that breaking a deal is a foolhardy decision, but yet she still doesn't listen to my words.'

'A child, that's what she sees me as? Is she fucking joking? She insults me and my kindness as childish, while acting a schoolyard child herself. We're all children here, and yet she seems to insist upon using age as some factor to her argument.' Pericles was growing ever tired of her insults.

'Lied to her! Lied to her! I haven't lied to her at all! This disrespect, this fucking arrogance!' Pericles only felt his anger rise even more once he saw Claire faking her own anger, once again insulting his intelligence. Then she had the gall to tell him that he was doing things the wrong way and that she seemingly had all the answers.

Pericles could no longer find himself to care about her denial of her group's status, 'For all her talk of it not being an empire, she still isn't listening to me. Also, really? Being the change versus the catalyst of change, that's just shoddy poetry that doesn't mean anything. All that would truly say is that the problem was with her and that she needs someone else to help fix herself. Though to be fair, at this point I'm starting to think that she might truly be part of the problem. So caught up in her ways, just like the people on the councils, just like the last rulers.'

Pericles scolded himself internally, 'This is what you get for having high hopes, Pericles. You thought she might be different, might truly care about helping others and fixing the world, but all she's done so far is act like she's winning a fun little board game, rather than dealing with people's lives.' Stopping his thoughts for a moment, Pericles tried to find the positives in the situation, 'I'm glad I at least sent Augustus home. He's a good person, he doesn't deserve to be involved in this bullshit. Even if she kills me here, the payments should come in for at least a little longer, enough so that his restaurant can create a footing of its own and he won't need to return to Mistral where the Spider's await him.'

Pericles took a long breath, and spoke, "You clearly have the arrogance to insult me to my face, to spit on my honor and politeness to you, and accuse me of lying when I have not, so why don't you just get it over and done with. If you have something to declare, then say it, if you're planning on trying to kill me, then take out a blade and do it. However, I have neither the time nor the patience to sit here while you brown-nose yourself and refuse to treat me with even a modicum of respect. A deal requires that both parties treat the other with the knowledge and understanding that their are consequences if the deal is broken. Yet you talk as though you're free from responsibility, free of consequence. In the end all kingdoms fall, all dreams fade, and all people die."

Pericles' plates were clear now, the food having been devoured with ease, "Oh, and as for painting targets on innocent people, all that tells me is that you were planning on utilizing that the moment I told you. So either you had no trust in my word, or you planned to break whatever deal we were making from the start, so don't come to me with this conflation nonsense."

Pericles let out a low pitched growl of anger as he ended his words, "I hope that you have some way of explaining all of this away. That there's some way that we can actually find peace and reliance on one another, because despite what you may be thinking of me, I am trying to actually help people, and I don't treat people like pawns in a chess game.'
Claire Buíocán

Clearly, she either truly knows very little of how this world works, or she's just ignoring what I'm saying. I suppose she's to ignorant of the past to recognize that it's merely a symbolic gesture to remind both parties that breaking a deal is a foolhardy decision, but yet she still doesn't listen to my words. A symbolic gesture that evoked days long past, where the possibility of retaliation against an adversary by taking someone they cared about off the board was still considered an option. Who was the barbarian again?

Lied to her! Lied to her! I haven't lied to her at all! This disrespect, this fucking arrogance! Claire wasn't sure if she'd ever been proven right and wrong about someone at the same time before. That he'd caught on that she had faked an outburst of temper and simultaneously missed the warning that he should not view lying to her, even by omission, as an option worth considering seemed to be par for the course with him. Did he even know about the interactions she'd had with the Mistral Council in the past? Probably not, no. It wouldn't be something they would tell him about, and he certainly wouldn't have asked the Spider to tell him - well, actually, he might have, but she definitely wouldn't have told him if she wanted her web to remain undisturbed.

For all her talk of it not being an empire, she still isn't listening to me. Also, really? Being the change versus the catalyst of change, that's just shoddy poetry that doesn't mean anything. All that would truly say is that the problem was with her and that she needs someone else to help fix herself. Though to be fair, at this point I'm starting to think that she might truly be part of the problem. So caught up in her ways, just like the people on the councils, just like the last rulers. There he went again with the 'empire' talk. She was starting to reconsider her opinion of his attention to historical detail. Had he been studying it to learn best how to repeat it? That seemed extremely foolish, but she was hardly one to judge others for making poor decisions.

You thought she might be different, might truly care about helping others and fixing the world, but all she's done so far is act like she's winning a fun little board game, rather than dealing with people's lives. For the first time during their conversation, Claire truly felt insulted. A game? Fun? How dare this little gówniaki from a family of has-beens whose one goal in life was to reestablish the monarchy accuse HER of playing a game? No, this would not do. Any plans she'd made out of hope that Pericles was looking to do better than his forebears were discarded as he proved that he was only looking to be smarter.

Explain 'all this' away? What was he, the Arbiter of Goodness and Justice? Did he think her that far beneath him? Was she beholden to his sense of right and wrong?

"Anything else you want to get off your chest?" she asked casually.
Last edited by Claire Buíocán on Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pericles huffed in irritation when she still didn't answer his question, but as he spoke it was in exhaustion and tired sincerity, not anger, "Might as well, I suppose. So, what was the point of this from your point of view? Just to insult me for being naive and trying help the world by rooting out corruption? Do you get joy from reminding everyone that the world is fucked in the long run? If you were just trying to get a rise out of me, because I'm one of the few people who wants to help people, and with the means to do so, congratulations, you succeeded. If you weren't then why the insults? Why the chastisement? I want to have an adult conversation here, but if you keep treating me like I've just crawled out of the womb, then that does nothing for either of us. I understand if my optimism for improvement may seem farfetched, but honestly, the world needs farfetched levels of improvement if we really want change. So I won't apologize if I seem zealous in wanting a better world for other people. I will apologize if your distaste for me stems from a dislike of nobles and the aristocracy in general, we've been leeches on the world for centuries. I want to change that, and I need allies to do so, so will you please listen to me, truly listen to me for once tonight, and answer this one question: Are you willing to work with someone else on this? Not just some person in your organization, but someone who will challenge you on the way that things are done on a macro level. We may both have the same end goal, but we will certainly have different ideas on how to get there. So, are you willing to hear feedback, and are you willing to give it in turn?"
Claire Buíocán

Did she derive joy from reminding him that the world was fucked in the long run? A little, yeah, but only because it was objectively funny that everyone who tried to change the system from outside the system was doomed before they began to accomplish absolutely nothing - it was why the Vacuo Ruling Council was still standing. Well, that and the fact that Claire sincerely could not be assed to run Vacuo herself.

Claire sighed, pushing all her thoughts away and contemplating his ask for a moment. "If you want to have an adult conversation," she began, "you need to act like an adult - this is especially true because you are not an adult. You have to accept that no one is going to take you seriously unless you can prove to them that you are capable of playing the game. You might hate the fact that the game exists just as much as I do - if not more, even - but unless you learn to play anyway, your crusade is doomed to failure.

"I will acknowledge that you have an understanding of what it will take to accomplish your goals and a plan to meet those challenges, but I find it hard to believe that you'll be able to accomplish anything if you can't navigate a conversation thinly laced with political nuance with one woman who is simultaneously twice your age and half the age of the people you wish to disenfranchise. For example, you wish for the answer to one question. Did you forget that I asked you one as well? I can't give you your answer unless you answer mine: what is it that you think I'm trying to do, and for that matter what are you trying to do? I hardly think reestablishing the monarchy is your endgame, and I'm certain that you don't understand mine."

Pericles couldn't help it, he laughed. He laughed boisterously at her words, wiping a tear from his eye, "Act an adult, huh?" Pericles shook his head, "That's rich, truly it is. I'm honestly impressed you can't see your own hypocrisy on this matter. Maybe you do, and just don't care, but its hilarious all the same." Pericles clapped for her like she had just finished some grand performance.

It took him some time to finish his laughing, "For your information, I've been doing plenty of dealings, discussions, and general politicking with plenty of people: People twice your age, and people half you age; selfless people and selfish people; geniuses and imbeciles. Despite our differences we still had a discussion, we may not have always come to an agreement, but we at least talked things out, we at least addressed the issues we came there to discuss. I recognize that this may come as a shock to you, but there is in fact a difference between veiled conversations, and stonewalling cooperation. If you didn't want to talk, that's all you had to say, but dragging this along is a waste of both of our times. Once again you've proven my point that you aren't listening to me, because I did answer your question; I told you that I thought that your plans were just to get a rise out of me. Whether that's right or wrong, I don't know if I'll ever know. On the one hand you seem to be obsessed with telling people that you have all the answers and that it's your way or the highway. On the other hand, I talked about it, which means that your probably going to stonewall the conversation by ignoring it and moving on like it never happened."

Pericles then stood up with a gentle spring in his step as he carried away his plates to the container near the kitchen door, speaking as he walked, "I have no need for staying here any longer while daffodils grow in your mind, though something tells me you don't have any clue what that means. Despite that, like you've done for the earlier part of the night, you'll probably claim that you do. Claim that you have all the answers. It's truly wonderful that you know everything, cause I don't have all the answers; history doesn't have all the answers; no one has all the answers."

"In the grand scheme of things, we are all ignorant to the true scale of what goes on in our world. However, we do know a couple small things. For example, I know that you've been talking with the Mistralian Council, I know because they've told me as such. I know that you've been encroaching in Mistral, I know because my people tell me. The Mistralian Council likes me because I represent the strength of those in power, a continuance of what they want. The Mistralian people like me because I represent an alternative to the corruption of the council." Pericles continued as he retrieved a mop from the utility closet and began to clean the floors of the restaurant.

"I will not be a perfectly ruler, because no one can. I have fucked-up before and I will continue to fuck-up going into the future, because everyone fucks-up before they actually learn what they're doing. You need to recognize that you're going to get things wrong sometimes, and that you're going to make mistakes. If you don't then you will never learn and you will get people killed." Pericles replaced the mop in its spot as he began to stack all the chairs on the tables, ignoring Claire's and his own.

"Do you know how many times I've flubbed a meeting? Put my foot in my mouth and accidentally insulted someone I was trying to gain favor with?" Pericles asked rhetorically as he went about his work, "Hundreds of times. No," Pericles corrected himself, "not hundreds, not even thousands. Just too many, too many times to count. Yet, I learned from them, and I'm still learning from them. I'm sure I've made countless mistakes over this meeting, but I'm willing to recognize them, I'm willing to accept them, I'm willing to atone for them." Pericles finally turned to Claire for the first time since he had stood up, "So, for what its worth, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for whatever mistake I made against you that made you act the way you did against me."

Pericles stepped over to the wall to turn off the electric lights shining in the window of the restaurant, "As for the answer that you're looking for, I don't know what you're trying to do. I could be petty and say that I don't care what you're trying to do, but based on your recent movements, it clearly involves Mistral. Meaning that despite what I may want, I do have to care, because it might affect my people, and a ruler's first and only obligation, is to be willing to lay down anything for those that they rule, even their very life. No, reestablishing the monarchy is not my end goal, it's a means to an end, and once my work is done, then it shall have returned back into the pages of history."

Pericles stepped over to the door and stopped, "I could walk out that door right now. I could be petty and disrespectful and easily take the last word. I would have every right to act the child that you've been calling me this whole time."

He turned back to her then, as he stood near the door, "However I won't, because I'm willing to set aside personal pride and honor, for the safety and honor of my people. So, if you want to have an adult conversation, here I am, all you have to do is invite me to sit, and I'm willing to let the winds of Vacuo blow all these sands of turmoil away, into the vast sea of all that came before, and all that will come to be. If not, then I'll walk away, or let you walk away, I'll let you take the last word if you want, or I'd let you have your silence be your response. No matter what though, out of respect for the person who makes sure every citizen of Vacuo gets an honest deal, I will accept whatever decision you make."
Claire Buíocán

Claire didn't feel bad about laughing anymore. It was incredible. He'd managed to completely miss the point yet again. Funnier still, he'd been misinformed by the Mistral Council.

Still - she was the adult here, so if swallowing a bit of pride would rein in his speechmaking, she could do that. Perhaps he could still be salvaged.

"My dear boy," she said as she picked up her own dishes and placed them in the container, "This is exactly my point: the people you're dealing, having discussions, and politicking with aren't taking you seriously - if they were, they would have told you the truth about my interactions with them. I have never entered the Mistral Council Room, nor have I ever spoken to the Council as a whole, nor do I ever plan to. I've spoken to some of the newer members individually while I was in the process of relieving them of some of their ill-gotten gains, and I've left a signed missive or two in a boudoir or three, but I've never done any politicking with any of them.

"You asked me if I was willing to work with someone on this - that question told me that you have fundamentally misunderstood the purpose of the Restitution. You then asserted that we have the same end goal and asked me if I was open to feedback about my method of achieving success, which only proved my point that I couldn't answer your question until you answered mine.

"I find it truly humorous that you can accuse me of being a stonewalling narcissist while simultaneously only answering my question at the end of your attempt to prove to me that you're moving in adult circles. You have been consistently condescending in your language to me. You have acted as though you are entitled to respect solely based on your family's legacy and your lackluster attempts at politicking. You dared to tell me what my Family is. You assumed that when I called it painting targets - because that's exactly what it is; whether or not one would choose to fire upon such a target has no bearing on the fact that the target exists - that I was entering an interaction with you with the express intent to break my word, rather than pointing out that the practice itself was the height of barbarism because it encouraged both parties to find alternative targets and remove those first."
Not to mention that explaining how you were being the bigger person and taking the moral high road meant that you were doing the exact opposite of that, but saying so would be counterproductive. Not that Claire would have cared if he'd stormed out - she'd only barely restrained herself from saying something bitter and leaving herself after his profound rudeness.

"Even if it were not, I have no targets to name: my blood relatives died when I was seven, not that it would matter if they hadn't: the consequence of breaking a deal with a noble house is that they'll kill everyone no matter who I name. Did you think that acting as though you are the sole head of your family would make me believe it? Do you think that I am the sole head of mine?" He probably did, now that she thought about it. And he thought she was the one ignorant of how the world truly worked. If his goal was not known to his parents, as Claire believed it was not, how would they react to finding out how he was using their name? They might not care about the historical power it held, but they certainly cared about the reputation of its living members - or at least she hoped they did.

"I'm not encroaching in Mistral. I was there before you were, and I have no designs on the government there - never have, never will. The Mistralian Council hates me because I represent a permanent alteration to the status quo they've been using to lord it over the common folk. The Mistralian people love me because my Family is an established alternative to a justice system that cares so little for them that it won't send Hunters to remote villages to deal with Grimm problems and it allows the Spiders to grow and grow and grow.

"I could overthrow Vacuo with a snap of my fingers - I know it, you know it, all of Vacuo knows it. But unlike you, they also know why I won't."
She gestured to the table they'd been sitting at. "I'll admit, I've been heavy-handed with you this evening, and I apologize. I'll admit that I do possess a well-founded distaste for nobility, and I will admit that you're breaking the mold in a big way if what you said about your end goal is true and I admire your ambition if that's the case.

"I mentioned earlier that you have misunderstood a great many things about the world, and you have; however, I know that doesn't preclude me from having similar misunderstandings myself. We could sit back down: I could explain what I'm actually doing here, as you've got my purpose very, very wrong; you could tell me everything you think I've... fucked up in the last twenty-three years. But frankly, young man, I've heard enough."
There would no doubt be a nonnegligible benefit to sitting back down and hearing the boy out, but Claire was comfortable enough in her position that she could accept the loss of some potentially insightful criticism if it meant that she didn't have to sit through more condescension, hilariously off-base assumptions, and braggadocio.

Then again... "If you have it in you make an honest effort to cast aside your assumptions, I'll try to do the same and sit back down. We can have the 'adult conversation' you desire. I can listen to your plan and offer critique if that's what you wish, and you can listen to mind and do the same."

Pericles smiled, satisfied with her words. Sure, she was still insulting him, but now she was taking him, and this conversation seriously. Stepping back over to the table, Pericles sat down and cracked his knuckles with practiced ease, "Simply put, we've both made assumptions about the other tonight, so that ends now. I will move past what you have said, if you are willing to look past what I have said."

Pericles paused as he stretched his neck, "Ergo, if we want this conversation to be fruitful and productive, then we need transparency. Obviously, neither of us can be expected to relay all of the details of our plans, but a certain level of divulgence must occur. I believe it would fall under the purview of what the Valeans call: Noblesse Oblige. The more open we are with one another, the less chance there is for those not in positions such as our to be caught in the crossfire, which for me at least, is my top priority."

"So, if you'll allow me, I would offer my honor up and reveal a modicum of my plans to you now, is that agreeable to you?" Pericles asked simply.
Claire Buíocán

Still misunderstanding her, it seemed. That was the purpose for sitting down again, however.

"By all means," Claire responded neutrally as she also sat.

She hoped this new, true conversation would be worth her time.

"Simply put, I want no involvement with Vacuo. While I may have noble claims to the region, reinstating the monarchy there is not the correct path in my eyes towards pivoting away from the downward spiral it has been set upon. As for Mistral, once I have assumed control of my homeland, I plan to use my position to accelerate reforms." Pericles explained succinctly.

Elaborating further, Pericles continued, "A more powerful police and Hunter/Huntress force. Stronger taxation on businesses and organizations in order to fund public programs. Heavy investment in the technological sector in order to stop Mistral from continuing to lag further and further behind Vale and Atlas. However, most importantly, a crusade against the criminal organizations and bandit tribes that plague the lands and its people."

Pericles paused briefly, his eyes shadowed in grim acceptance, "I recognize of course that my reign won't last forever and that many will seek to repeal these changes I've made. Yet, my aspiration is that by the time that my rule comes to an end, the benefits of my reforms will be so vast and deep that anyone proposing their removal would be committing political suicide."
Claire Buíocán

"You wish to become a benevolent dictator, but only long enough to right the things you see as wrong," Claire summarized. "That may work. You will have to make a specific plan of action and find people who will remind you of your task should you stray from it. You will need to remain in power for many years, and you may need to do some unsavory things to do that, or at least find people to do those things for you and disavow them later." This was closer to the conversation she'd been hoping to have earlier.

"Raising taxes will be difficult - you may have better luck simply making it harder for larger corporations to earn tax breaks and instead encouraging private donations to public works funds. This is how the Family operates, by the way: it works better in Vacuo, obviously, but we've had some success in Vale and Mantle, and we get by in Mistral thanks to a few anonymous donors."

Pericles nodded along with her words considering them aloud, "Hmm... Yes, that is why I've been networking over the past few years. I need people in power who I can trust to take me down if I stray too far from my path. As for unsavory things, they are sadly a necessity, though I hope that I will be able to relegate my unsavory deeds unto unsavory people. There is no need to utilize the innocent, when the unjust make themselves so readily available. I plan to turn the corrupt against one another, while using them to increase my own foothold of power and to introduce my policies. If fate smiles upon me, then they shall hopefully have weakened one another in their squabbles that taking care of them would be a hand-wave of effort, with no chance of collateral damage."

"True, I must admit, while I understood it conceptually, I oftentimes forget that the money I plan to be taxing away from organizations often initially comes about through dubiously legal tax breaks. As for private donations, I'm certain that I can find suitable encouragement for those who have earned their wealth through less than reputable means. The walls have ears after all, and they also love to gossip." Pericles agreed easily.

Sighing to himself, he spoke, "Of course, I will need to be both patient and actionable. If I am too fast in my changes, people will grow uneasy and worried for their safety. However, if I am too slow, well then the other Kingdoms will certainly want me to answer for my actions of breaking the treaty of the Great War." Pericles chuckled in morbid amusement, "I will be breaking the highest law of every land. I suppose that the highest punishment is fitting for such a crime, no?"
Claire Buíocán

"Perhaps you should endeavor to have yourself elected rather than take the position by force?" Claire posited. "I don't believe there is a regulation requiring the Councilman from each district to be a different individual than the other Councilmen. You would have the duration of your term to enact the reforms you wish for without needing to fear foreign reprisal - especially if you could convince a few politically-weighty individuals to stall for you. Ahh, I see," she mused, deliberately getting it wrong, "that's your plan, isn't it? To use that loophole to buy enough time to tie up any foreign challenge in enough red tape that you'll be finished before they can cut through it - especially if you follow every protocol to the letter and allow the other Councils some prying eyes into your decisions without giving them any meddling hands - if they kick up more fuss than your bureaucratic acumen can handle, you point to your approval ratings and suggest they devote their time to matching them." She smiled knowingly. "Ingenious. If you can make the farce last long enough, you won't need to seize control by force; if you can't, you'll be a mere decree away from legislating yourself king anyway."
Last edited by Claire Buíocán on Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

"An interesting proposition, though not my strategy." Pericles admitted, "Much of my holdings come from promises to a return to power to the various noble families. Offering them a secret monarchy, one built on government regulation, might satisfy some of them, but others will most certainly want a public hold. For many of my backers, its a matter of pride to be of noble families that will once more have power, once more be in the limelight, once more be untouchable before the law. Of course, they won't actually be untouchable, but they will think it all the same. Though, your proposition has merit, and could perhaps be used as a stepping stone in the greater scheme of things."

"Above all else, I will certainly take it into consideration. Pivoting though, I can't help but find myself curious about the inner-workings of how your family holds itself, and where it looks out upon the horizon. Would you be willing to share such musings?" Pericles inquired gently.
Claire Buíocán

"Be careful that you don't reveal the monkey whose paw you have placed over the noble's power until you have accomplished your goal, Pericles - you will be beyond even my help if you fail before you are finished." He was playing a dangerous game, this young man. Claire hoped he'd play it better in the future than he had today.

"My Family is just that - a large group of people who look out for one another while simultaneously looking to our own interests. We don't all agree, we don't always get along, and we don't get each other out of every jam they find themselves in, but when the chips are down we have each other's backs because that's what family does." That was how they held themselves, but that was probably not what he meant.

"As to our political position, we don't have one. We don't act in politics as a rule, though some of our members are involved to various degrees. Ironically, we're the most politically active in Atlas of any of the four Kingdoms," she said with a smirk, then held up three fingers. "The Restitution has three tenets: Uplift the Downtrodden, Nurture the Talented, and Protect the Family.

"The poor and underprivileged are often treated as second-class citizens by those in power - especially in Atlas. What those who hold power often forget is that those underprivileged people they look down on outnumber them a hundred to one - in a world of Dust and Semblance, that's a dangerous position for a tyrant to be in, personal power or no - this is partially our fault, yes, but mostly we just provide the means: the people provide the motive and opportunity."
She lowered a finger.

"The talented among the downtrodden are rarely afforded the opportunity to realize that talent, so we step in to right the scale, be that by dismantling classist power structures or just pulling together the tuition money to send them to school, like we did for young Marco: a favor we did in exchange for his agreeing to teach music lessons to the children in our local orphanage. They adore him, by the way," she added with a conspiratorial smile as she lowered another finger.

"Because our aim is to tear down any inherently prejudiced social construct so that the Family's singular goal of equality of opportunity for all may be achieved, we often find ourselves the targets of those standing at the top of the power imbalance. We have thus taken many steps to ensure our own safety, but you'll find that we haven't been labeled terrorists - even in Atlas, where we have set off explosions that are much more than mere metaphors - because we don't kill people unless they have it coming. Our goal might be accomplished faster if we tear down the unjust political machine by force, but most of the people turning the cogs in that machine are just as held down by it as those fighting against it." She lowered her last finger and returned her hand to her lap.

"I don't want to run a country, Pericles. I wouldn't know the first thing about how to do it. I prefer to watch and wait, because eventually there will come someone who does know what they're doing. All I have to do is make sure that they're moving the world in the right direction and that things don't get too out of hand before they arrive. If they're doing good work, I can help them along; if not..." she sighed. "I think you'll find tomorrow's paper to be... enlightening," she finished with a slight chuckle.

He wouldn't have heard yet, as the events that would make tomorrow's news had occurred after they'd sat down to eat, but one of the Councilwomen from Atlas who had been rather outspoken about curtailing civil liberties would have had her own private life anonymously dumped onto the net by now - debaucherous activities both real and fabricated included. Claire didn't necessarily approve of the embellishment of the truth that had been planned, but as she'd just explained, the Family didn't always agree, and she wasn't really in charge so much as the one who led the discussion. She didn't want us adding anything to this - she must have known what we'd find.

Apparently some of the things they'd found had been worse than the things they’d made up. Claire was a little surprised by that: she hadn't thought the Councilwoman had been that bad on the whole. Ahh, well. Sometimes life was stranger than fiction. She tuned out the Mantle branch's speculation as to her preternatural ability to sense nefarious dealings: they'd no doubt be talking about this for weeks, so she could water that seed later. Right now, there was a young man seated across from her who was doing much better during his interview now than he had earlier.
Last edited by Claire Buíocán on Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pericles laughed, "I assure you, I am not so foolish as to offer the steel and reveal I hold only iron. They will get that which they seek, though perhaps not in the exact way that they want it, but my bargain to them will be fulfilled all the same."

Pericles listened attentively as she spoke of her families values and of their actions in Atlas before speaking, "Atlas..." Pericles sighed frustratedly as he ran a hand through his mane, "I hold no qualms with her people, but the Kingdom, ah, that Kingdom is tainted. Its roots were watered with the blood of many, so that they may grow deep into the soil of corruption. I recognize the importance in oiling the machine of society, but I must admit that if I were to hear of a coup of Atlas' current government, that I would have a certain spring in my step. More importantly though, am I someone who is moving things in the right direction? Or... Am I going to be featured in the paper soon as well? I have no issue with dying, but I'd prefer to do it after my goals have come to fruition."
Claire Buíocán

Claire laughed. A genuine laugh, carefree and open. "I don't think you'll have to worry about that for a while yet, young man. We issued the Councilwoman many a warning before tonight. As to whether you are someone who is moving things in the right direction..." She paused.

"I am satisfied that you wish to be, and for now, that will do. That will conclude today's interview," she said, and stood.

"My name is Claire Esmerelda Buíocán, the Requiter, the Family's Founder, She who Strode the Sands to pave the Road to Restitution, and this, Pericles Herodotus Ozymandias, son of Dryo Alcmaeonidae and Ramses Ozymandias, studier of lost echoes and buried tales, is my declaration:" she strode over to his side of the table and leaned down to place her hand on his shoulder and whisper gently in his ear her last five words: "empires end - Family is forever."

With that, she headed for the door, stopping to call back as she was halfway out. "Should you wish to avail yourself of our assistance in the future, you know where to find us - we can negotiate a price when you have a more concrete idea of what you want from us."

Pericles merely smiled at her words and answered, "Who said a family couldn't be an empire?"

Watching her step out the door, Pericles stood up himself, and after dropping off a few Lien cards behind the counter to pay for their meals, he turned out the lights and locked the door behind him as he went.

The restaurant now lied empty, void of two of the most important guests it had ever served. People that would one day have their names lauded and scorned. People that danced with death and served bourbon to fate. People that would change the world.

Would it be for the better? Only time knows the answer.
  • Information