Low Volume Shopping Trip [Private with Lin and Kailyn]

Where the bulk of Vale's population lives, plus the Mall and street markets!
Lin Motley
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Human
Aura Color: Light Blue
Semblance Name: Dust Eater Weightless Wind
Weapon Name: Brisk and Brawn

Another day, another visit to Vale, Lin was visiting one of the many shops that sold the parts she needed for her craft, that being the manufacturing of weapons and ammo, her current project being a compressing bullet, one that she needed copious amounts of gravity dust for them to actually work, it was really cutting into her allowance, she just hoped it was gonna be worth it.
But now that she was standing at the counter, Lin faced a problem, she was about to place her order on the dust but found her pocket empty, something vital was missing, the text to speech device she always used to speak.
Lin fumbled the cashier leaning over to look at the little girl not saying anything, luckily, Lin wasn't new here, the cashier knew of her little conundrum.
"Lin, is something the matter ?"
He asked, scratching his bearded chin.
The mute girl looked up, signing something, to which the cashier simply looked confused and then apologetic.
"Sorry Lin, I still didn't have time to brush up on my sign, don't you have that text to speech device of yours ?"
Lin simply shook her head, lowering it in disappointment.
"Gee, sorry kid, I could get you a pen and paper, but that's gonna take a bit, you may have to wait a bit...and let the others go first."
Lin looked at the other people in line, some already looking pretty impatient, she just nodded, it would definitely take less time for her to wait than to go back home from here, still she'd be bored for a while, pulling out her scroll Lin moved to simply sit somewhere to wait.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison
Race: Faunus (Crotalinae) - Pit Organs (internal)
Aura Color: Black
Semblance Name: Gravitas
Weapon Name: Daii Shonnara and The Fingers

Kailyn didn’t really have that much use for dust in the day-to-day. Her weapons didn’t use it and her Semblance didn’t benefit from it, so she didn’t really need to carry any.

Why was she here, then? Because she needed some for a project for her Dust & Semblance class: make something new that will help you in combat using one of the principles discussed in the lecture. After a quick bit of research, she found that this shop would sell everything that she’d need all in one place, so here she was.

Just as she came in, she saw one of her fellow students step away from the counter, looking a bit down. From the looks of the others in line, she’d had some kind of problem that the shopkeep couldn’t quickly resolve. Making up her mind, Kailyn walked over to sit next to the girl on the bench. ”Everything okay?” she asked softly.
Kailyn's speech color is 99ff00.
Her theme song is a banger.
You can find EPs for all my characters here.
Lin Motley

Lin was just sulking around a little using her scroll to browse a few website's mainly looking for a few more deals she could nab for a few tools, her old wrench just got melted after a recent experiment.
So someone approaching her so soon was a bit of a surprise and startled Lin, making her clench her scroll to her chest and look up at the tall redhead infront of her.
But the question had her shoulders sag a little, her text to speech device had not magically reappared in her pocket and while it was unfair to judge a book by it's cover Lin did not feel like trying her luck with sign language at the moment, so she swiftly typed out her response on her scroll, text she knew the elderly shopkeeper could not read, but someone who looked like a fellow student was gonna be fine.
"I'm just waiting until the line clears so I have enough time to type out my order."
She showed Kailyn, hoping that would satisfy her and they could go on with their day.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

The way the girl clutched her scroll clearly indicated that Kailyn had snuck up on her. She hadn't been being that sneaky, had she? Waaaait - she'd floated over instead of walking, hadn't she. Yeeeaah, she'd definitely floated - some of the looks she was getting from the patrons near the back of the line were a little too intense for her not to have.

When a scroll was held out in front of her, Kailyn blinked in confusion. "Huh?" she asked as she quickly scanned the text. Oh. Kailyn tilted her head as it slowly dawned on her that her new friend was probably mute.

Not that Kailyn was bothered by something like that. This would be the perfect opportunity to practice her sign; after all, it was a 'use it or lose it' skill, like most languages.

Raising her hands, she asked, You want to sign it to me instead? You wouldn't have to wait, and I need the practice.
Lin Motley

Lin was already just facing her scroll again, only just looking at Kailyn over the rim of the device, she had honestly expected this to be the end of the conversation, with this...floating read head...maybe they could talk about something after all ?
But then there was still the issue of Lin being limited to her scroll.

It was only then that Kailyn spoke up, no signed up!
She knew sign language!
Lin's blue eyes were almost shining with excitement as she saw the gesture she was all to familiar with.
"Yes that'd be so great, thank you so much!"
Lin moved forward, now stowing her scroll as she hopped from her seat, she was quite a bit shorter than the red head.
"Uhm...I need about 500 grams of earth dust, 1000 grams of fire dust, 300 grams of hard light dust and about 10 grams of all other dust types as well as the 'usual assortment' of dust ammo. I'm a regular, he'll know what I mean."
She looked cheerfully at Kailyn, this was gonna be a good day after all.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

Thank the Brothers the first few words Kailyn learned to sign were Hunter-relevant: Dust had its civilian uses, of course, but as soon as she’d shown an interest in being a Huntress her mother had ensured that she learn to sign. ”You never know when you’ll need to talk to someone without making noise,” her mother had said, ”or to someone that can’t hear or speak to you.”

Today was apparently one of those times, and Kailyn couldn’t be more thrilled that she could help this girl. The person currently being helped paid and began making their way out, so Kailyn sprang into action.

Sure thing, she signed, before calling out to the guy at the head of the line as she rapidly floated over.

”Hey there,” she said with a cheerful wave. ”You don’t mind if my friend here gets her stuff, do you? It wouldn’t do to make her wait again, would it?” she added in a flirty tone, taking full advantage of the fact that her… assets were more… asset-like when she was in zero-g to make a convincing argument to the young man. He quickly nodded, blushing furiously, and Kailyn flashed him a wide smile before turning to the shopkeeper. ”We need her usual order of ammo, whatever that is, and then also a kilo of fire, half a kilo of earth, 300 grams of hardlight, twelve hundred grams of gravity, and 10 grams of all the rest. Can we also get 10 of the closest things you have to one of these?” she asked, pulling one of her Fingers from its sleeve and floating it over the counter, careful to point the blade toward herself so no one would get hurt. ”They don’t have to be as pretty as me, they’re gonna get pretty beat up what with me experimenting on them and all.”

Turning back to her new friend, she quickly signed, Need anything else?
Lin Motley

The shopkeeper raised an eyebrow at the redhead pushing past in line, he looked as if he was going to tell her to get back in line, but then she pointed to Lin, who gave him a sheepish smile, well the redhead was doing it for a good cause, helping the poor mute, so he just sighed and began to pack the order.

Soon, two paper bags sat atop the counter, the shop owner was just putting in the 'regular' which was a few fire, gravity and electric high gauge dust shells and a few combustion dust bullets also meant for a big caliber into the second one.
As he then also laid down a shard of raw wind and gravity dust.
"Right, I'll just send the receipt to your mother Lin, tell her I want this amount taken off my tab."
He told the smaller girl, who nodded happily, great this big of a haul wasn't being paid by her allowance...what to spend it on instead ?
Lin's eyes then drifted to Kailyn, oh, she had an idea!
She waved to Kailyn as she left the shop, she signed that she was going to wait for her outside, as she went off Lin grabbed the shard of gravity dust and...bit into it, like hard candy.
The black tattoo's on her hands and cheeks then lit up blue and both the girl and her haul floated out of the shop.

The shopkeeper then turned to Kailyn.
"Sorry, I'm running a Dust Shop, you'll have to look somewhere else for a knife"

As Kailyn was done, Lin floated outside, legs crossed, still happily chewing on the raw wind and gravity dust.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

Wait, Lin (thanks for the name, shopkeep) could also float? They were going to be best friends.

This was a dust shop, genius. "Right, sorry. Thanks for letting Lin jump back to the head of the line," she said, giving the shopkeeper a conciliatory smile as she grabbed her bag of dust and stowed it.

Following Lin outside, Kailyn crossed her own legs as she set herself to zero-g, slowly spinning in a z-axis circle in front of Lin, whose Semblance was apparently something to do with eating raw dust and also floating. "I'm Kailyn," she introduced herself as her rotation took her upside down, tilting her head down to look up at Lin. "I don't have a sign-name yet," she explained, waiting until she was right side up again before putting her feet down to stand normally as she sign-spelled her own name before continuing in sign. Do you know a good place to pick up some throwing knives? she asked, floating one of her Fingers up for Lin to examine. I want to try imbuing these blades with Dust, but I'm not very good yet so I want some practice materials.
Lin Motley

The shopkeeper just gave a smile.
"No worries, you both seem like good kids, just ask yer friend, she knows her way with weapons."
He motioned to Lin, knowing full well why she had bought this much dust, again.

Lin just chuckled as she signed back to Kailyn with a smile, her new red haired friend was sweet, but there was no reason to worry.
You can just talk normally with me, I'm already pretty happy just having someone else that can understand me.
She signed as she herself stayed floating upright, as eating was still much easier this way.
Speaking of which, she was done by now, the about fist size dust crystals were both gone, the markings on Lin's cheeks and back of her hand growing brighter.
After wiping her mouth and picking up a few dust crumbs, she turned back to Kailyn.
Oh, she wanted to infuse her weapons with dust, that was easy!
But she was being smart about it, wanting to get some spares first to experiment on, Lin of course knew the perfect place, she could craft her own blades easily enough, but just like Kailyn she needed weapons to test things on.

Lin floated toward, gently grabbing the offered blade and seemed to measure it a little, her hands performing a few practiced touches, this...wasn't anything special, they were sharp sure, but only throwing knifes nonetheless.
I can just infuse your knifes for you, I am pretty good at weapons and dust crafting.
Lin offered with a smile, yet she would be more than happy to just help Kailyn get some more blades for her own practice, she knew just the place should her friend refuse.
Otherwise we can just head to my favorite blades' smith, she's real nice and will definitely have some throwing knifes lying around, she's about half an hour north from here, unless...."
LIn got a fiendish little smile as she got into a standing position, slightly leaned forward and more in Kailyn's face.
You want to race me there!
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

Kailyn smiled at Lin's admission of happiness. I know you can hear me, she admitted, but I really could use the practice. Besides, signing is fun! she added with a big smile.

It made perfect sense that Lin could do infusions, the girl was clearly VERY familiar with Dust. I might just take you up on that. I do need to do some myself, though, since it's an assignment for Mr. C's Dust class. Plus it's a good skill to have, right?

Oh, a race? Kailyn grinned wickedly. Semblances allowed? My top speed is literally terminal velocity.
Lin Motley

Well I can help you anytime you decide you want to get a good grade, you can find me in the workshops after class.
Lin offered with a cheeky little smirk.

Lin did not give much of a response as she grabbed her pilot goggles and spun them in her fingers for a bit.
Terminal velocity, huh?
Lin wasn't sure if she could beat that, she was good at math but not Copperfield doing advanced calculus in his head good, but she was pretty darn fast in her own regard.
So, Lin got into a starting position, as if she was ready to sprint.

Then a tug at her arm reminded her of something, oh...her shopping bag, this thing wouldn't rip under normal circumstances, but keeping up with terminal velocity was by no means normal.
So Lin, with a sigh and shrug toward Kailyn, just began to float toward their goal, in a steady yet still speedy pace.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

Lin lined up like she was a sprinter, and Kailyn grinned, crouching into a similar position.

Then Lin's shopping bag asserted its presence, drawing a sigh from her friend, and Kailyn laughed.

Floating along next to Lin, she asked a question. Do you have plans for dinner? Because we should definitely hang out more. Gravity-defying girls gotta stick together, right?
Lin Motley

Lin who had just gotten embarrassed by her shopping bag turned to her new friend, Lin hesitated to answer, well she had plans, kind of, the plan was really her moms, who wanted her girls to help out more in the kitchen, especially Lin since she was unhappy with how her daughter would hole up in her room or workshop all day and then just come out to eat some microwave dinner, something that had become unacceptable, Lin was sure she'd be stripped of her allowance if she didn't help in the kitchen today.

So while Kailyn was undoubtably very cool, should Lin invite her to dinner already ?
Eh, why not, it would certainly force mom to be less strict on her unless she wanted to make a bad first impression on Kailyn.
Lin simply singed that she's gonna eat dinner at home, since she lives her in Vale, Kailyn could join her and her family if she wanted too.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

Okay, Kailyn signed. I'm not one to turn down free food. Maybe you can show me how to infuse some blades afterward so I can get a good grade? she asked. Lin was clearly not new to the practice, and having someone knowledgeable show her what to do would be a huge help in reducing waste from bad attempts if nothing else.

So what exactly does your Semblance do? I don't think you're flying the same way I do. She was genuinely curious, plus they might be able to trade tips on how to utilize their ability to float while in combat.
Lin Motley

Lin nodded happily, she was looking forward to helping Kailyn, she may not be a teacher but getting to flex her knowledge was always an interesting prospect.

Upon the question of her semblance, Lin pulled out two small dust crystals, one a wind dust and a gravity dust crystal.
Having them hover midair as Lin then signed, I can eat dust, which then gets stored here., she pointed at the runic marks on her cheeks and legs.
And then I can use the dust I eat to cancel gravity.
Lin signed and made the gravity dust crystal drop, cancel its gravity again and repeated that once more.
And I use wind dust to move myself or other things.
She waved her hand, a small breeze came from it, blowing Kailyn's hair back.
I can also make some stronger ones.
Lin gathered herself for just a second before a strong gale blew upward with storm like strength, Lin aimed it upwards on purpose where nothing was, had she aimed it at ground level she would have probably swept the street clean of anything not nailed down.
Cool, right ?
She grinned, then taking a bite of the wind dust crystal as the runes had gotten just a smidgen dimmer.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

That's awesome! Kailyn signed excitedly. Being able to fly was definitely one of the most fun powers to have; yes she was biased, no she didn't care.

I can alter the strength and direction of gravity for specific objects within a certain distance from myself, she explained, floating a little higher before settling back to hover her normal few inches off the ground. It costs more Aura the stronger the pull, the further away from me, or the longer the effect lasts, except when I affect myself - that's basically free.
Lin Motley

Lin looked pretty proud at Kailyn's compliment, puffing out her chest a little.
But her excitement waned as Kailyn started talking about her semblance, not that it wasn't cool or interesting, Lin just hadn't asked.
But cool, as expected Kailyn could alter gravity, the effects of which were far more flexible and probably stronger as well.
Lin gave her a thumbs up and an impressed whistle, as she then floated on, focusing back on the task at hand.

Not much later they had arrived, a rustic and small shop with plenty of wares on display under a black tent, the inside was dimly lit, the only source of light being the smithy in the back of the shoo, huge amounts of weapons, guns and armor were on display on rows of shelves.
As Lin entered, a chime announced her.
"Hello there" was heard from the back of the shop, followed by some rummaging as then around the corner came a small, stout dark skinned woman, her black curls tied back under a headscarf.
"Oh! Lin, didn't expect ya back so soon. " She paused, finally noticing Kailyn who stood out less than her glow in the dark friend Lin. "oh, ello there, am guessing yer the reason you two are here ?"
Lin nodded, to which the blacksmith smiled.
"Right, what can I do for ya then, miss ?"
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

Lin lead them to a shop with an impressive display of different things on display, and Kailyn followed her inside to find a smithy, her eyes taking a moment to adjust to the low light.

"I'm looking to get a set of knives that match these," she said, floating a pair of Fingers over to the blacksmith. "Lin's gonna help me do some Dust infusing," she explained, flashing her new friend a wide smile, "but I'm not sure how many different kinds I want yet, so I'll need at least ten or so?"
Lin Motley

The blacksmith took one of the knifes out of the air, measuring it and once Kailyn canceled her semblance on the blade, weighed it in her palm.
"Dust infusing, huh?"
She finally spoke up, before casually tossing the Finger back to Kailyn as she went into the back, rummaging around for a while before finally coming back with a small box, full of throwing knifes, after more rummaging in said box, she threw 10 similar knifes on the table.
"Here, you got here just in time, I was just about to melt these down, since they're all failures, so...let's say 20 Lien, that just covers the material cost for me, sound good ?"

As Keilyn was talking to the blacksmith Lin just inspected a few firearms nearby, mainly old ones, noting down certain traits for inspiration, newer firearms were pretty standardized and as such boring to look at most of the time.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

That... was practically a steal, and Kailyn knew it. Nodding excitedly, she grabbed the appropriate amount from her wallet with her Semblance as her hands gathered up the blades and stowed them in her satchel. "Thank you," she said, turning to Lin. You weren't kidding, she signed to her friend. She really did just have those lying around.

Her stomach chose that moment to announce its displeasure at its lack of contents. Kailyn chuckled nervously, rubbing the back of her neck with one hand and her abdomen with the other. I may have skipped my afternoon snack today, she signed sheepishly.
Lin Motley

Lin looked up from the shelf she was looking at and noticed how happy Kailyn was, she had been around the block many times, so using her knowledge to help out her new friend was not only easy but also pleasant.
Lin found herself smiling from ear to ear, happy to help.

She then heard Kailyn's stomach growl, just rolling her eyes with a smirk as she laid an old shotgun with a lever action reload on the counter.
The smith simply nodding as she charged Lin.
"Another one of the old pieces being taken in for dissection ?"
Lin nodded, to which the blacksmith sighed, but still handed over the gun.

As they were done, Lin simply motioned Kailyn to follow her, she would take her new friend right back home for dinner and then homework.

Soon enough, the two arrived in front of a three-story building, most of the bottom story seemed to be a pharmacy, a large window showing off the white cleanly interior, decorated with shelves upon shelves of medicine, a sign reading "closed" hanging on the glass door, next to the pharmacy the wall turned dark beige with a big dark wooden door and a silver handle, the mailbox built into the wall read "Motley" and to the right was a garage entrance that led into the back, of what Kailyn could assume to be a garden and the garage, up above two of the windows were lit.

Lin rung the doorbell, she had a key but didn't just want to let herself in with a guest.
And soon enough the door swung open, in it stood Ela, dressed in a loose black top and jogging pants, revealing that she had the same rune like markings as Lin, the older sister towered over both Kailyn and Lin, even as they were floating, also explaining why the door was unusually big.
"Oh Lin, you're late, we already got done with dinner, though we left you some, you will have to warm it up."
Her gaze then turned to Kailyn.
"Who's this ?"
Lin signed that Kailyn was her new friend, whom she had brought over for Homework and Dinner.
Ela hummed, smiling, as if she was used to this.
"Pleased to meet you, Kailyn, I'm Ela."
She offered Kailyn a handshake with a soft smile upon her face.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

Lin's family apparently ran a pharmacy. That was neat.

The door swung open and WOAH. That girl was TALL tall. Judging by her facial features and the timbre of her voice, Kailyn guessed her to be Lin's sister.

"Nice to meet you, Ela," she said as she shook the offered hand, floating up a little more so it wasn't awkward. "Lin was kind enough to offer to help me out with some Dust infusion after we bumped into each other at the Dust shop." She smiled at her new friend. I'll treat you to dinner sometime as thanks, ok? she asked Lin.
Lin Motley

Ela simply smirked, as Kailyn floated up a bit further to shake her hand, she would have bowed down a little, but she always felt it to be rude.
"Thank you for helping my little sister, she doubtlessly needed it considering she forgot her text to speech device at home."
Ela just smirked, to which Lin looked a bit disgruntled, facing away from her sister.

"Either way, come on in, I'll be in my room if you need anything."
Ela said as she walked up the stairs, the steps creaking a little under her weight, as she went int o her room, Ela simply content with Lin having found a new friend she could talk with.

As they were left alone, Lin floated up a head, kicking off her shoes at the entrance, signing for Kailyn to do the same, as she then landed and walked upstairs, signing "No floating in the house."
walking upstairs, Kailyn found herself in a comfortable living room, a big armchair and two couches surrounding a carpet and on the wall there was a big flat screen TV, a small flight of stairs led up to a kitchen which still smelled like some real good grub.
Yet, Lin walked through a door on the left, which led to a small corridor with many doors in it, one had an old dented welding mask stapled to it and Lin walked inside.
The room inside...was pretty average if a bit cramped, a tidy bed with a nightstand next to it, a table littered with homework and school related books Kaitlyn would no doubt recognize as well a pc and desktop, a drawer with its doors open letting her see the sparse selection of clothes and a desk with a pc, Lin yet continued on and opened another door, it was surprisingly thick and Kaitlyn could see why there were scorch marks on the other side as Lin opened her door to her workshop, which was a mess, boxes of scrap everywhere, some of the scrap were recognizable as weapon parts, a big vertical drawer fitted with every tool needed and a workbench with a dirty blueprint and more tools on it made for the centerpiece of the room, Lin pulled a box from under the workbench and pulled out a few smaller casings, into which she carefully put the dust she had floated into the room.
As she was done, Lin turned to Kailyn now having swapped her pilot goggles for some welding goggles, holding out another pair to her friend.
"Alright, let's do some homework.
Lin signed with a smirk.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

"I'm just happy to know someone I can practice my sign with," Kailyn admitted as she stepped inside and planted her feet back on the ground.

The main living area was appointed in all the trappings associated with the classic family unit, and Lin's room was clearly marked with the sign of her passion: making things out of metal. Kailyn immediately understood why as Lin opened a door to a full-blown smithy/machine shop that was just... attached to her bedroom. "This place is awesome," she breathed as she followed Lin inside.

Her fascination was interrupted when a pair of goggles entered her vision. She grabbed them with her Semblance as she floated her book bag back out into the bedroom and set it next to the desk so it'd be out of the way before sliding them on and cracking her knuckles and elbows in a practiced motion. HELL yes, she signed back with a smirk of her own as she produced the blades and Dust she'd bought earlier. "Show me how it's done, Sensei," she added with a mock bow as her hands quickly became full before setting all her stuff down on the workbench.
Lin Motley

Lin looked toward Kailyn, she didn't know what a sensei was, but she smiled regardless, as she took the offered dagger and dust crystal.
Lin took a deep breath, as she focused, Lin grabbed a blow torch and a specialized machine, something that Kailyn would recognize as a dust cutting tool, Lin first grabbed the dust, putting it in the machine and locking it in place, the diamond coated knife attached to it made quick work cutting the dust into 4 separate pieces, one being a length simply cut out the middle about as long as the daggers blade.

Then, with the blowtorch, Lin melted part of the dagger's blade in a simple line across the blade down to the middle, using a few pliers to move the melted metal to the side, with another pliar Lin put the length of dust inside the blade.
Then grasping the blade and noticeably letting her aura activate, the blade let off a glow first of LIn's aura and then the infused dust.

Lin pulled out her text to speech device...before laying it to the side.
She sighed and signed instead.
"Normally one would imbue the metal with dust during creation, creating a dust metal alloy that permanently strengthens the weapon. The method I just used archives a similar result, but is less reliable, since the dust can't really be distributed as evenly, it still works just fine though for making the weapon deadlier."
She said, handing the infused dagger back to Kailyn.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

Kailyn watched, mesmerized as Lin worked with practiced ease.

Makes sense, she replied as Lin explained that incorporating Dust from the beginning of the crafting process would be more effective. I'll definitely need to learn how to make normal knives before I go trying anything that fancy, though.

She took the dagger, turning it over in her hands. "Okay, so I guess it's my turn now?" she asked, still holding the dagger and eyeing the tools uncertainly.
Lin Motley

Lin nodded, it was indeed Kailyn's turn, so she handed Kailyn the Blowtorch and a piece of the air dust crystal she already cut, this one should be the least dangerous if Kailyn did something wrong.
Oh wait, she should explain on how to NOT do things wrong.

Lin quickly began to sign away.
"Make sure to not have your aura active while working with the dust or the dagger, since it could set off the dust, which is especially bad when fusing the thing with molten metal, other than that, make sure the flame is steady and turn it up all the way if you're confident to not melt a hole into the dagger, if not dial the blowtorch down a bit."
Lin concluded, looking expectantly at Kailyn, hoping she understood all that, if not Lin would be glad to take it slow or try again using her text to speech device.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

No Aura, steady flame, don't blow yourself up. Seems easy enough, right?

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast," Kailyn said as she took the torch and Dust crystal from Lin and looked down at the knife. "What could possibly go wrong?" she added under her breath as she decided to just give it a go.

It was immediately clear that Kailyn was new to this, but after a few minutes she managed to draw a line of red-hot metal down the middle of the blade before setting the torch aside and pulling the metal apart with pliers. Taking extra care not to accidentally use her Semblance to grab any of the tools, she carefully picked up the Dust crystal and dropped it into place with the pliers before pushing the metal back into place around it.

The next step was to use her Aura somehow, right? I'll be honest, she signed to Lin as she stepped back from the workbench, I'm a little afraid that if I push my Aura into that it'll just explode. She didn't really have any practice using her Aura for any kind of fine control when it came to Dust - she usually just crudely shoved her Aura into the Dust to trigger it on the rare occasion that she did use it.

Rubbing the back of her head sheepishly, she signed, Help a sister out?
Lin Motley

Lin upon hearing Kailyn's concern was halfway tempted to just have her continue, it wouldn't be the first or last time her lab would get blown up, which is why the walls of her room were as thick as they are.
But, she was here to teach, not evolve Kailyn in a quick experiment, so she'd help.

Lin, took the dagger that Kailyn had just welded, Lin raised an eyebrow at the result, the weld didn't look very good, but she had kept the dagger intact, no hole melted in the other side, but Lin saw a few spots of the dust poking out which meant this would fail, but it was good enough for a demonstration.

So she'd demonstrate, "Here keep your aura low, don't use more than two fingers for a blade this tiny and push your aura into it, like...pushing something into a really tiny space using your semblance." Lin hoped that comparison made sense, it should since Kailyn and her had similar semblances.
Concentrating for just a bit, Lin put her aura in the blade, Kailyn could see the dust in the blade glow as the dust then fused together with the metal, the result wasn't nearly as pretty as what Lin had produced.
The blade looked blotchy and when Lin knocked it against the table, it broke at the weld, a tiny charge of wind dust going off and causing some of Lin's blueprints to fly about.
"Good first try, but this is not a passing grade, try again, you need to fully seal the dust inside."
Lin signed as she then handed Kailyn another dagger and piece of wind dust.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Kailyn Keison

As expected, her first attempt didn't work. It looked like it wasn't too terribly far off, though, so that was cool.

That makes sense, thanks, she signed back at Lin's explanation of pushing with Semblance. The perks of having Semblances that operated in similar spheres, she guessed.

Picking up a new knife, she went a bit more carefully this time, drawing a much nicer-looking line with the torch. The Dust crystal fit a lot better this time, and she tentatively pushed her Aura into the blade as Lin had instructed.

The finished product didn't look much better than her first attempt, but it didn't break when she knocked it against the table, so that was an improvement, right?
  • Information