A little Town Tour [Private w/ Al Ciendra]

Where the bulk of Vale's population lives, plus the Mall and street markets!
Melina Caedus
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Human
Aura Color: White with Reddish Hue
Semblance Name: Einherjar
Weapon Name: Solemn Vow and Pridwen Mk II

With Al‘s agreement they both walked towards the park, during which Melina became a bit anxious. Not because she was not feeling comfortable, but because she didn‘t really know what to do once they were there. It was a park… it might look beautiful sure, but what were they supposed to do once they were there? Sit and look around all the time? Why did Melina suggest something so boring? There was literally nothing they could do once they got there…
Anxiety was starting to creep up more and more and once they got there Al suddenly uttered a question. Saved by the inquiry about her home, Melina now had something to talk about instead of trying to talk herself down.

“Y-Yeah, Atlas is governed… differently from the other kingdoms so, no surprise.“ Melina started off, unsure on how to best go on about this topic. She‘d need to say a lot to explain how exactly the kingdom, she hails from, works. No need to bore her fiery friend with deep explanations though.
“My life has been… well… good, but… that‘s mainly because I‘m from the upper class. The Caedus family is responsible for running a lot of the medical facilities both in Atlas and Mantle and therefore have a certain amount of wealth. However… the state is anything but perfect.“
It was difficult for Melina to not feel ashamed, as she went on hesitantly.
“Since Atlas floats right above Mantle, there‘s a… great divide between the nobles above and the common… below. And that divide only grows with the technological advances that are being made up top… and the struggles those below face. It is… sad, if I‘m being… honest. For being so progressive, everything seems so divided.“

Melina felt pathetic laying down such facts about her own home. While her family had too weak of a connection to the military to change anything about it, Melina always felt responsible for not being able to change anything about the way the lower class is treated.
"Silent whisper." FFFFFF
"Mechanic Voice." 800000
"Sign language." 0000FF

Normal Theme
Battle Theme
Al Ciendra
Race: Faunus (Wolf-Ears and Fangs)
Aura Color: Orange
Semblance Name: Volcanic Heart
Weapon Name: Arcum and Gladio

Well this explained a couple of things about both Melina and the country she hailed from, Al could have probably just read up about this sort of info on her scroll, but she was way too busy reading up about homework or just reading up about Vale, all that was already a lot of information she was learning about on a day-to-day basis now, so reading about a whole different nation was hard, so it was way nicer to just have Melina explain it to her.
Yet, this explanation also was kind of depressing.
It did make clear though why Melina was fitted with such fancy tech, of course a rich family living in the most technologically advanced country in the world could afford to save their daughter from what looked to be certain death or injuries that would have crippled Melina for life otherwise.
Al had to wonder how her own recovery would have gone, would she have lived in Atlas on that day ? Could she have still looked somewhat normal ? Maybe, but she was just happy Melina got the help she did.
"Well that's a bit rough, but I'm still glad, without those technological advances I doubt you and I would have ever met."
Al noted, with a smile in her voice, she seemed unbothered by this whole explanation.

As she put her hands behind her back and tilted her head slightly, she remembered the other part of the stories the travelers told her.
"So on the topic of divide, just gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the stories about faunus being treated badly there are true too ?
Al asked, still being casual about it, paying attention to Melina's explanation, after Melina was done she already had a response in mind, just to lift Melina's glum mood.
"Well, I'm just glad you're way nicer, so if I ever go to Atlas, I guess I'll just have to ask you to go with me and protect me."
Al joked and half flirted toward Melina, making sure to give her a single shot of a finger gun.
Bartok would be proud of her, probably.
Al chatters in #FF5500
Melina Caedus

Al was taking these facts quite well. Melina figuered it must be because that side of Atlas‘s image must have travaled pretty far by now. She couldn‘t help feel a bit ashamed at first, her legs lightly shuffling up and down as if she was nervous.
At the very least Al was right with one thing. Without those technological advancements or her families wealth they would have never met like this. Thinking back, the discharged combat medic would probably be stuck in her home now, sitting in a wheelchair and missing an arm.
She wouldn‘t rest on the thought any further, as now the fiery wolf oppened the even bigger can of worms. ‘Why does Atlas have to be this way?‘ Melina thought as the question of faunus treatment came up. A frown slowly growing on her face.
“Yes. Those are… true.“ She muttered with a defeated sigh. “It is very bad. Apathy is the best a faunus can get there. Even fully fledged huntsmen aren‘t… exempt from discrimination.“
Melina sits in quietitude looking down at her hands now balling to fists as they rest on her legs, which she has pressed together by now to make herself stop moving them out of shame.

A bit of moment later the most unusual words came to the atlesians ears. They prompted her to look up from being all gloomy and towards the fiery wolf, just in time for her to witness the finger gun shot at her. There was another moment of silence hanging in the air, as Melina‘s logical thinking tried to make heads or tails of what Al had just said. Why would Al even consider that?
But then the flirt attempt dawned on her, no less thanks to the finger gun motion. The fact that this reminded her a bit of Bartok made Melina chuckle with surprising delight which she fails to hide behind her robotic hand.
“Hehe. That‘s my job. I promise, you‘ll be safe with me… if you‘re ever there.“

A short time passes and Melina is back to normal, almost as if she was resetted back into a normal talking mood. Tilting her head towards Al, Melina utters a follow up question of her own.
“I wonder, you seemed pretty okay with what I was saying. D-do all of those bad things about Atlas not bother you at all? I mean, s-sorry… don‘t mean to get gloomy all over again, but I‘m curious.“
"Silent whisper." FFFFFF
"Mechanic Voice." 800000
"Sign language." 0000FF

Normal Theme
Battle Theme
Al Ciendra

Al was happy for the effect that her flirt had, she had no concrete goal with it, besides getting Melina out of her glum state, but she was happy that she had reacted with a smile, it was much nicer this way, Al was half tempted to smile alongside her, but they were too exposed for Al to take of her mask, but hearing that giggle was all the more worth it.

While Melina sounded much happier, her follow-up question did confuse Al a little.
Well...guess she should really think this through, as she herself had never really thought of this.
She did owe Melina a good answer.
So with a hand at her chin, Al thought for a little while, facing away from Melina, until finally responding with a sigh.
"I guess I'm just kinda used to people being weirded out or disliking the way I look, whether it's for my ears or the mask."
Al shrugged, as she tapped at her chin again, only continuing as she remembered something.
"Professor Copperfield once told me that the world is full of mean people that would judge me for my appearance, that it's a waste of my time worrying about them, that I should focus on the people that will stick by me regardless. I'm trying to follow that advice, it's kinda hard, but I think I'm doing a good job at the latter part."
Al turned back to Melina, lifting her mask a little to show the atlesian medic a bright smile, just to dispel any glum mood that may have resurfaced.
Al chatters in #FF5500
Melina Caedus

Melina leaned a bit closer as she anticipated Al‘s answer. The fiery wolf was clearly in thought for a moment which spurred Melinas curiosity even further. It almost created an uncomfortable tension until Al finally answered.
So she had been getting used to these sorts of opinions others had about her, although that seemed to only go as long as she was wearing the mask. Melina reckoned, having others see what‘s beneath without her permission was still uncomfortable.
Then there was the advice from Professor Copperfield, who Melina knew could give great advice despite looking a bit… what was the word... disheveled?
Upon hearing this Melina looked back forward, her elbows resting on her knees and folding her hands together. She seemed deep in thought as she then rested her chin on them, only letting out an almost unnoticeable ‘Hmm‘.

While a mentality like that was easier to aply for someone like Professor Copperfield or partially applicable for Al, it was really difficult for someone like Melina who had always valued the life of others over her own not matter the situation. She couldn‘t disregard the people around her, since she was always acting in their best interest instead of her own.
Before thinking too much, Melina caught a glimpse in the corner of her eye of Al smiling at the medic, reminding her that she shouldn‘t be getting gloomy again.
“I see. Thanks for the insight.“ Melina mutters quietly to Al as she lowered her arms and straightened her posture again. She should switch topics… how about having Al talk about her own home?

“So… um. You know how my mask is also a voice amplifier?“ Pointing at the contraption on her cheek she looks at Al. “I was wondering… su-surely yours hides your scars, but is there other reasons you wear it? Just out of curisosity.“ Melina muttered in an almost meek voice. She knew that Al‘s scars were a sensitive topic, but she wasn‘t sure if the same could be said for the mask itsself. It‘s construction looked metal, but was there more to it? The medic was eager to find out.
"Silent whisper." FFFFFF
"Mechanic Voice." 800000
"Sign language." 0000FF

Normal Theme
Battle Theme
Al Ciendra

Well Melina was still being a bit gloomy, but it seemed that showing her a smile did help reassure her, Al pulled her mask down as she frowned, this really made her feel bad about constantly hiding her face, maybe she should just laugh more to keep Melina cheerful ?
Al didn't really know what else she could do to cheer Melina up, she would still have to get to know the atlesian medic a bit better to tell.
So moving on to her own next question was a much nicer activity, her question was a pretty easy one of course.
Al this time basically shot out her answer, she didn't care about the comment regarding her scars, Melina had seen them already after all.
"Well, it's really useful to counter the downsides of my semblance. The slits in my mask let me breath and speak normally, while also filtering out smoke and other nasty particles in the air that could be created or stirred up by my fire. The glasses are darkened so that I can't blind myself and are also really sturdy, so my face is protected really well."
Al explained as she then sighed, a click was heard as Al fully took of her mask, the straps now hanging loose as she held it in her hands, then showing it more closely to Melina.
"Here look, there's also some neoprene like stuff inside, so my face stays comfy wearing this thing all day."
She showed Melina another smile, she was full of excitement and looked extremely proud to tell her about her mask.
"Dad really thought of everything when he made this thing for me, oh yeah I never mentioned how my dad is a blacksmith, he even collaborated with my teacher to make this thing as heat-resistant as it is, they even made the rest of my armor, pretty awesome right ?"
If Al's chest were a balloon, it would have long since popped with how proud Al seemed to be.
As Melina was digesting the info dump, Al put her mask back on, a resounding click was heard as the now much more intricate looking piece of metal was back on Al's face.
Al chatters in #FF5500
Melina Caedus

With almost sparkling eyes, Melina looked in awe at the fiery wolf as Al elaborated on her own mask and it‘s functions. She was actually surprised that it was capable of assisting with Al‘s semblance in the ways it did by dealing with smoke and bright light. Proper breathing and air filtering was important, especially when your super power was basically setting things on fire and controlling said fire.
The tinted glasses were closely inspected, Melina almost got too close until Al then decided to take the mask of entirely to show it better which came as a bit of shock for the combat medic who was over a 100% convinced that Al was nowhere near as comfortable enough to do that.
Taking off the mask gave even more insight however, which helped push the concern aside. She even had neoprene layers on the inside for comfort? What a way to make Melina envy her, her own mask is simply an airtight metal frame with a filter and voice amplifier. Not uncomfortable per se, but it could be better…
They... “really thought of everything...“. Wait, her father made the mask and her armor?
“C-Certainly, your dad must be very skilled.“
At this point Melina was astonished by the work of Al‘s father. It stood in big contrast to how Melina procured her own cybernetic-arm. Hers came from a military project which her father had merely funded, while Al‘s mask was self made and therefore deeply personal. They are both so unlike, yet they get along so well. There was another question burning at the tip of Melina‘s tongue now. Al did mention she had a teacher...
“Say, your teacher… are they a huntsman?“
Melina decided to keep the questions going, as they were not really going anywhere for now. Besides seeing Al as proud as she was when talking about herself, it was more warming than any fire could be.
"Silent whisper." FFFFFF
"Mechanic Voice." 800000
"Sign language." 0000FF

Normal Theme
Battle Theme
Al Ciendra

The compliment to her father was appreciated, Al leaning back as she thought of her dad once again, dang, she still really did miss home, but it was okay, next holidays she'd go visit home again, maybe she could take Melina and Bartok with her ?
Unless they would want to visit their own family, of course, but it was something worth to consider, maybe dad could give Melina's gear some more personal touch if she wanted, considering the way her atlesian friend was looking at her mask.

The next question was responded to by a quick nod.
"Sure is, Alabaster Auburn, or just Auburn as everyone calls him, he's a huntsman from Mistral, been in the business for 30 something years before I met him and has taken on many apprentices, I was his fifth apprentice, he's harsh but fair, always told me right on the nose what I did wrong even back when I was 10, but he's a wonderful person, always cheered me up when I felt down and had a good word of advice to give...now if only he wasn't such a grumpy drunkard..."
Al paused as she looked down for just a bit, sighing as she looked back up.
I honestly really miss the time I spent with him, maybe once I'm finished here at beacon I'll go look for him, show him how much I improved!"
Al clenched her fist, laughing in excitement at the idea, she turned to Melina, tilting her head making her ears drop just a bit to the side.
[color=#FF500]"Where did you learn to fight before coming to beacon ? Met anyone as cool as Auburn ?"[/color]
Al asked with a cheeky tone her voice, as she leaned in further, much like Melina had previous to look at her mask.
Al chatters in #FF5500
Melina Caedus

Hearing her suspicion confirmed that Al‘s teacher was indeed a huntsman had the medic put her hands together and listen intently as the fiery wolf went on about that tutor of hers. And from the sound of it he was a good one… aside being a drunkard of course. It made him at least less stiff in comparison to Melina‘s own tutors back then.
Speaking of which…

“Heh, I don‘t know… probably not.“ She giggled somewhat embarassed by the fact that none of her tutors could be considered anything close to interesting. The Atlas military was very formal after all and had no tolerance for drunkards among the ranks. Yet Melina continued with a faint smile. “I had multiple teachers, but the one I spent most time with was one Seargent Richter. Also a retired huntsman, very strict, but wise and battle hardened, yet above all rightous. Among the recruits he‘d train those with sufficient skill with their aura and through his approval one could join Atlas Academy if they met his criteria.“
Melina does spend the moment to think back to those times. He was a good trainer, pointing out his trainees mistakes on the spot and helped correct them accordingly. He also always had a wise word of advice to spare. Though as harsh as it might sound he did tell Melina once: “If you don‘t want to hurt anyone, you shouldn‘t have enlisted at all.“
Despite that opinion of his though, he never once tried to push Melina out of the military. On the contrary, he helped her adapt to it. He was the one to suggest the defensive fighting style to Melina to accomodate for her pacifiscm.
“I guess I didn‘t make the cut for him to join the academy at the time. I remained in the Rescue Team for the rest of my service. But I don‘t blame him. I do not like hurting people and I am a bit reckless when it comes to protecting others. It‘s what brought me here after all.“

The combat medic exhales deeply through her nose, tilting her head to mimic Al as she looked at the fiery wolf.
“I share your sentiment though. When I become a full fledged Huntress I want to meet him again, to show how far I‘ve come."
"Silent whisper." FFFFFF
"Mechanic Voice." 800000
"Sign language." 0000FF

Normal Theme
Battle Theme
Al Ciendra

Al was silent as Melina talked, it took her a bit to mull over all that Melina had said, she didn't like hurting people ?
That's why her teacher didn't let her go up in rank and join the military for real, makes sense, but why would Melina want to become a huntress then ?
She wouldn't just fight Grimm, there were a lot of bad people out there and Melina would have to face them just as fiercely as the monsters that threatened humanity, Al...couldn't help but feel a bit worried about her friend, she really just wanted to help others and protect them, but they both knew how that sometimes went, Al looked at Melina's robotic limbs as a phantom itch was felt on her lacking face.
She was gonna protect Melina, for their entire stay at Beacon, Al would be there for her friend, dish out the harm that she didn't want to!

Then her Melina's proposal snapped Al out of her thoughts as she looked at Melina.
"If you wanna we can seek out our teachers together, gives us a good opportunity to show each other our corner of the world too."
Al then took Melina's hands into her, holding them both together, wrapped in her own warm ones.
"And hey, if there's ever anyone that causes you trouble, just call me, I'll give em the ass whooping they deserve in your stead, that's a promise."
Al gave her promise with full sincerity, she wasn't sure if Melina would approve, but the promise was there.
Al chatters in #FF5500
Melina Caedus

Melina smiled at Al as she heard her pitch about visiting their teachers together. That sounded like a great idea, Melina would get to see more of the world outside of Solitas and get to meet Al‘s family. And in turn Al could see what it was like in Atlas in comparison.
She almost imagined it, until suddenly there was an unusal warm sensation in her left hand that brought her back to reality almost immediately. Despite the metal glove encasing it, Al‘s warmth was radiating through like a warm fireplace. It was a feeling Melina had rarely felt in recent years, so she was a bit stunned and didn‘t immediately react when Al went on.
“I… uh...“ She only muttered as she seemed a bit overwhelmed at first. Having Al beat someone on her behalf didn‘t exactly sound nice. She didn‘t want people to get hurt. However, how could she not appreciate her friends willingness to help her?
“O-Okay. Just promise me… you won‘t hurt them too much. Okay?“ Melina recoiled somewhat inward, lowering her head in response as if to try to hide behind the clump that was her hands wrapped in Al‘s.
She paused for a moment looking away and contemplating. Eventually however her eyes find their way back to Al‘s black slits again. As if she saw a flickering flame in those void black shades she stopped coiling in and whispered, this time with a bit more conviction: “…a-and if you‘re ever hurt, call me… and I‘ll be there to heal any wound you may take. That‘s my promise.“
"Silent whisper." FFFFFF
"Mechanic Voice." 800000
"Sign language." 0000FF

Normal Theme
Battle Theme
Al Ciendra

Al grinned, Melina had accepted!
With a condition, but that was to be expected, Melina was just too nice after all.
"Fiiiineee, even though they would deserve any bruise and burn I could give em for messing with someone as sweet and cute as you, I'll accept, for your sake."
Al said with a slightly cheeky tone to her voice, flirty even, still holding hands with Melina, now having lowered them a bit.

The counteroffer, got a happy giggle from Al, slightly bashful.
"I appreciate it and will be making plenty of use of your service."
She gave Melina's hands one last squeeze and then let them go.
Al chatters in #FF5500
  • Information