A Relic of the Past (Private w/ Lin Motley)

Vale's downtown with factories, warehouses, offices, bars and restaurants.
Rosé Carmine
Gender Identity: Female
Race: Human
Aura Color: Deep Red
Semblance Name: Eternal Heart
Weapon Name: Klinge des Königs

The door bell rang as Rosé crossed the threshold into the storefront, the light silhouetting her body slowly cutting off as the door swung shut behind her. Her eye glanced around the store, searching. Rosé looked at the various weapons on display, admired a couple for the craftmanship that had gone into them, though these weren't why she was here. She reached the counter, looked left and right for the store keeper. "I'm sure I told you that I'd be along at this time..." She growled quietly to herself, as she spotted the 'ring for attention' sign sat next to a button on the counter. She reached over and pressed the button, and deeper in the building a chime rang out and a moment later a muffled voice calling back.

Her attention turned once more to the storefront as she waited. She hadn't picked this place on a whim, this was a store she had visited a few times in the past for similar reasons. That reason being to get her blade, Klinge des Königs, looked at and refurbished. A set of skills she hadn't seen the need to pick up yet, seeing that the family who ran the store knows their stuff. Heavy footsteps draw Rosé attention and she turns to see the elderly shop keeper come to a stop as he rounds the doorframe and glances off to his right at an unseen clock.

"Ah, my apologies I had lost track of the time." He half turns to collect something, and then steps through the doorframe, Klinge des Königs in hand which is then placed lengthways on the counter. "It took a bit of work to restore, was a good thing you decided to get it done now as that crack ran real deep..."

Rosé picked up her blade after giving it a once over and satisfied, slung it across her back. "How much do I owe?" Hearing that the crack in the blade's surface had ran much deeper troubled Rosé more than she'd care to admit. She knew she should have gotten the blade looked at sooner, but... returning to Vale at the time had felt not quiet right at the tome. The shop keeper stated the price, and after a moment of fumbling, Rosé paid for services rendered.
Rosé speaks in #BF0000
Lin Motley
Aura Color: Light Blue
Semblance Name: Dust Eater Weightless Wind
Weapon Name: Brisk and Brawn

The wind was loud in her ears as Lin raced from the school to the weapons shop she had been at yesterday, she got lazy and put of maintenance on her sister's weapon, instead handing the task off to old man Roscoe, one of the Vale blacksmith that could handle an instrument as brutal yet at the same time delicate as Lovetap.
And she had forgotten to grab it.
Ela would bend her over backwards if she didn't get her weapon in time for her upcoming mission to some far off placed called Oakhearth.
The cold air did sting a bit as she got close to breaching the sound barrier yet having to quickly slow her decent as with a loud WHOOOSH did Lin landed in front of the shop, barely buffering the landing enough to keep floating instead of touching down.
As she fished her text to speech device out of her pocket and stormed the shop, pulling her scarf and hood out of her face and letting the pilot goggles snap back to her forehead.
"Hi hey sorry I'm late! You got Lovetap ready?!"
Lin asked, storming past the other customer she barely registered.

The Blacksmith just smiled at her, as he excused himself and went back into the back of his shop.
As she waited Lin turned to the other costumer present, typing away in her text to speech device.
"Sorry about that, I'm kind of in a rush as you can probably tell,"
She said, as she tried to mend her wind torn hair.
Her eyes yet wandered to the stranger's blade, it was big, but that's not what got her attention, her practiced eye could tell it was OLD, very old!
Her attention was only drawn away when Roscoe returned with an absolutely monstrous fusion of hammer and mace, he had to use a dolly to carry the thing.
Lin grabbed the handle, letting the thing float from the Dolly and into her hand, as if it weighed nothing.
"Thanks Roscoe, here's the usual."
Lin said, as she laid down a few Lien.
Despite being in a hurry, she did stay, a little, as she once again typed away, then facing the stranger.
"Hey Miss, can I see your blade?"
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Rosé Carmine

Rosé turned her head as the wind picked up for just a moment, before the door opened and a young woman walked in fiddling with what looked like a custom scroll... Rosé blinked in surprise as a voice came out from the device asking about a... Lovetap? "A weapon...?" She murmured quietly to herself as the shopkeeper turned and headed into the back of the shop.

Rosé's attention returned to the woman as she, her device that is, spoke up and apologised to her. "Apology accepted..." It didn't go unnoticed that the stranger's eyes wandered to Klinge des Königs, currently slung across her back. The storekeeper returned at that moment with a dolly carrying a frankly huge weapon. Rosé has seen many weapons in her long life, but this took the cake on size alone... and weight too if the dolly was anything to judge by. She took a couple of steps back as the stranger picked the weapon with ease indicative of a developed aura. A huntress then?

"Look at my weapon?" Rosé consider the request for a moment, levelling a searching stare at the young woman before her with her one, good eye. Satisfied with what she saw in the young woman, Rosé spoke up. "I suppose... though I am curious about something." Rosé reached over her own shoulder, grabbed the handle of Klinge des Königs and brought it around, holding it lengthwise with one hand supporting the blade from underneath. "Would it be easier for you to use sign rather than using... that?"
Rosé speaks in #BF0000
Lin Motley

Lin turned her attention from the blade she was about to grab to the woman still wielding it, a look of surprise on her face as she then smiled and stowed her text to speech device.
"So much easier, thank you!"
Lin proceeded to then gently out of Rose's hand, once again activating her semblance to cancel out the weight of the weapon as the blade began to hover mid air as Lin now freely turned it about and around, her expression shifted to intrigue, she barely recognized this type of craftsmanship, well, what little of the material could still be considered the original blade, a lot of it was replaced she could tell by the feel of the material as some of it felt much older, still well maintained but older regardless than other parts.
Surprise now took her face, by the look of the material this blade wasn't some old family hand me down, for that to the face it had been in active use and at least been maintained way too regularly.
Lin looked confused, if what she learned from this blade was true then...
She looked at its wielder, no, she looked way too young for her crazy theory to be true.
"Impressive blade you got, its old but still looks pretty good, did you get it as hand me down from your master?"[/color}
Lin asked, she did always love hearing stories of huntsman masters and their bond with their students, she herself only had her lame-o professors.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Rosé Carmine

A ghost of a smile touched Rosé's lips at the young woman's surprise; giving a slight nod as the young woman thanked her. At least that what she thinks was signed... it has been a while since she had last used sign language. Gods... why had she wanted to learn sign language in the first place? Was there ever a reason? She watched as Lin started gently lifting Klinge des Königs from her hands and then, much to Rosé initial alarm followed by surprise, as Lin then removed her own hands to leave Klinge des Königs suspended in the air.

"A semblance..." Rosé murmured as she finally took notice of the glowing tattoos on Lin's skin, did they have something to do with Lin's semblance? Rosé watched as Lin poured over Klinge des Königs, picking out details upon the blade's surface that require a practiced or well trained eye. The confusion that spread across Lin's face was obvious as she turned her attention to Rosé.

Rosé watched Lin's fingers as she signed. Rosé frowned, that couldn't be right? She experimentally signed a few words herself and confirmed that Lin had indeed asked if Klinge des Königs was a hand me down. She took a few moments to consider her answer, finally deciding on telling the truth. "A hand me down? Klinge des Königs has always been my blade for..." Rosé fell silent as she suddenly realised that she wasn't entirely she how long Klinge des Königs has been in her possession. "... hang on. Give a minute to work this out..." Rosé raised a finger as she started running through a timeline of events, trying to place when she got Klinge des Königs. "Klinge des Königs has been my blade for around two centuries... -ish. Give or take a decade... or two?" Rosé shrugged, not entirely able to place the age of her blade. She knew at least that it was much younger than her by around one hundred and fifty years or so.

Rosé eyed the weapon Lin had collected. She was curious about Lovetap; she knew that hunters sometimes created their own weapons and Lovetap certainly fit the bill of being a custom built weapon. "A question for a question. Your Lovetap... did you make it?" She rather bluntly pointed at Lovetap.
Rosé speaks in #BF0000
Lin Motley

Lin just stared.
She stared at this woman in front of her for a solid minute, no noise, no sign, if Lin could stammer she'd be doing it right now.
The shock she experienced even stopped the weapons nerd from gushing over her baby Lovetap, which was a feat in its own.
She shook her head, gathering herself as she took to singing again.
"HOW?! I mean...if your blade is that old, then you're..."
She shook her head again, as she floated around Rose, scanning her face for a single wrinkle, but besides some stress wrinkles there wasn't a single one, nor a strand of gray in her red hair.
"You don't look a day older than your mind twenties."
Lin thought about it a bit more, taking a second to just breath, then it finally dawned on her how this could be.
"I guess, that either means, you are not human with the robo limbs ooooor you have a semblance that keeps you young."
Lin floated above her, still checking her out, she could not be more intrigued.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Rosé Carmine

Rosé was starting to get a little concerned with how long Lin was spending starting at her before Lin finally started moving again. She watched as Lin signed, clearly still recovering from the shock of what Rosé had told her. How? By being ageless of course... she turned to keep an eye on Lin's hand as she floated around her, aware that Lin was taking a very close look at her.

"Well thank you, I do try." Rosé continued watching Lin as she slowly put together the pieces and sign... "What? That's a new one. But no, it's the latter. My semblance gives me immortality; more specifically I'm ageless." She now found herself staring straight up as Lin floated about her. An intrusive thought crossed her mind as she looked up; 'Is she like a balloon? Could I tie a piece of string to her ankle and hold onto her as she floats?' Looking straight up was starting to get a little tiresome however. Especially with needing to keep an eye on Lin's hands to see what she is trying to say. "Could you come down from there? I usually like to hold conversations on the floor, not looking up at the sky."

"And you still haven't answered my question about your weapon."
Rosé speaks in #BF0000
Lin Motley

A semblance did explain it, but wow, it was EFFECTIVE, she really did look ageless, but Lin wouldn't linger on it, besides how Rose had survived for so long with multiple missing limbs there weren't many things to ask her about it, not that she wasn't curious but maybe asking those sorts of things in a smith shop was not the best idea.
What was a good question to ask in a smiths shop was about weapons though and thanks to the shock Rose had given her Lin had completely forgotten to talk about one.
"Oh, right!
She signed, now landing back in front of Rose, also having Klinge des Königs gently float back to her as she instead took Lovetap back into her hand, the mace was easily 2 feet longer than Lin was tall.
"Well, this is Lovetap, it's not actually my weapon, I made it for my sister, she's super strong, using it she can pulverize a Grimm's armor plating with a single strike the separate blades also create more force and the best part is..."
She said, as she hit a button on the weapon, the blades folding apart to then reveal a long shaft inside the hilt of the mace, it was glowing with energy and if Rose were to look down the shaft she could see the makings of a rail gun.
"This baby also packs a rail gun, just in case my big sis has to deal with any flying Grimm."
She kept it on the down low for a bit, Rose being so old probably meant she didn't understand any of the technical terms Lin would have to use to properly explain the workings of Lovetap, her parents barely understood her when she got going, and even they were at least 5 times younger than Rose.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Rosé Carmine

Rosé took a hold of her blade as it floated back to her, placing it back upon her back as Lin started explaining about Lovetap. "It's your sister's weapon? And you made it..." She watched with interest as Lin pushed a button, causing the weapon to split open. Rosé had seen several transforming weapons up close before, and she could tell that Lin had lavished a lot of attention on the creation of Lovetap. She frowned as two words were paired up with little meaning to her, at least without context. "Rail... gun? To deal with flying Grimm..." She brought a hand to her chin, a thoughtful look crossing her face as she turned the two words over in her mind. "Rail... maybe something about guiding a projectile along a fixed path? But that's what a gun does... unless it's the way it achieves launching said projectile?" She shook her head, clearly another thing she needed to catch up on, on the growing list of things to catch up on...

"Wait... your sister's weapon?. Your sister is a huntress too then?" Rosé was a little surprised, though she's not really too sure why. It's not like there is any rule or law stating otherwise. Ah, she was still thinking like it was the Great War... She unconsciously brought a hand to her right eye, hidden by the eye patch before shaking her head, bringing herself back to the present, clenching her hand and bringing it back down to her side. As Rosé looked at Lin once more, she realised she didn't know the young woman's name... and weren't they in a rush? "I never got your name. And... weren't you in a rush to get somewhere? She felt she ought to remind Lin about... whatever obligation she had, lest she forget.
Rosé speaks in #BF0000
Lin Motley

Lin thought for a second.
"No, I was just in a rush to get Lovetap since the shop is about to close."
As she said this, there came a noise from the shopkeeper, as he pointed at his wristwatch.
"Oh, right, sorry Roscoe."
Lin signed as she turned to leave the school, floating outside much like the giant mace at her side.

Once they left, Lin found herself sticking by Rose.
"I'm Lin by the way, and yeah my big sis Ela is a huntsman too, she's super big and tough! So I made her a weapon that fits her."
Lin motioned to the mace, easily two feet longer in height than her and which she'd have more than a few issues carrying, were it not for her semblance.
"As for this..."
Lin pointed down the barrel of the Rail gun.
"Imagine a crossbow, but instead of strings you have metal rails and instead of muscle power to shoot, it uses electricity and instead of shooting a simple arrow, it shoots a specialized and much heavier bolt, safe to say, this thing packs a punch and has a lot of range."
Lin tried her best to explain this in terms Rose could understand, more to say medieval terms.
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Rosé Carmine

The shop was about to close? Rosé glanced over to the shop keep as he coughed. She raised a hand as she mumbled. "Sorry."

As Rosé stepped outside, she noted Lin preferring to float both herself and Lovetap. She turned back to Lin to continue their conversation. "Lin. And Ela huh?" Super big and tough? Rosé wasn't sure if that was sisterly exaggeration or the truth speaking.

Rosé observed Lin as she explained what a railgun was; Rosé got the sense that the explanation was being overly dumbed down for her 'benefit', however the comparison to a crossbow was intuitive pretty her. She was curious if Lin had ever considered a career in teaching, and then realised that being mute might make that a difficult career to pursue. "So... just a magic crossbow?" Rosé smiled, a small huff of air leaving her nose in amusement.

Rosé held out a hand to shake. "I suppose I should introduce myself. My names' Rosé. And yes, before you start asking questions, I am that 'Crimson Immortal' that people talk about. Now, you may start asking questions." She was pretty sure Lin had been holding onto some questions once she had worked out that Rosé was old. Did she really not have a better way to say that? Ancient? Just makes her sound older. A relic? That makes her sound like an artifact or some thing... There really isn't a better way to refer to herself that doesn't sound worse.
Rosé speaks in #BF0000
Lin Motley

"Well, an electrical crossbow."
Lin shrugged as she continued to float along, now on her back, arms crossed behind her head making herself just a bit more comfortable.
Lin then turned to Rose, giving her a somewhat apologetic smile.
"Sorry...first time I'm hearing of the Crimson Immortal, very cool name though and no, no questions, at least none I feel comfortable asking right now."
She kept floating before then noticing something.
"You don't believe me regarding my sister right?"
Lin floated directly in front of Rose's face, as she had a grin on her face.
"How about we go to my place, and you can meet her, she'll probably riddle you with questions though."
Lin signs in A6BBEC
Rosé Carmine

Rosé blinked as Lin answered that she hadn't heard of her. "Huh... it's always hard to tell when I'm widely known or not. Changes by the..." Rosé paused, a slight frown and a puzzled look on her face as she started to work out a time frame. "Decade? Maybe longer?" Rosé gave a slight shrug with her shoulders, somewhat unbothered by the fact that she wasn't known.

"Don't believe you?" Rosé brought a hand up to her jaw and scratched as she turned her attention to the open sky, casting her mind back into her memories. "Well, let's just say I've met a lot of people who've made that boast in over three centuries of walking Remnant." She pulled herself from her own, faded memories before she became ensnared by them, bringing her attention back to Lin. Rosé gave Lin a hollow smile,

She watched as Lin started signing once more. As the sentence unfolded, Rosé became momentarily alarmed; jumping to conclusions is a bad habit of hers that has saved her life on many an occasion, this not being one of them... "I thought that invite was going somewhere else for a moment. Meet your sister huh?" Rosé frowned as she thought about her schedule for the rest of the day... The fact it was taking her this long to think of anything either meant she had nothing, or she had finally gone senile. She shook her head, pulling out her scroll, an older model lacking some of the features the recent models have, and checked her planner. She scrolled to the day and time, where a small box contained the words 'go and kill some grimm to test weapon'. "Sure... it'll be more interesting than going out to find some Grimm before dark. Lead on." She tucked away her scroll, regarding Lin once more.

Rosé cast her mind for topics to talk about as they walked, settling on weapons once more seeing as she hadn't asked about Lin's own weapons yet. "So if you made Lovetap for your sister, I assume you also made your own as well?" She kept an eye on Lin, her own fingers intertwined behind her head, watching for any answers.
Rosé speaks in #BF0000
  • Information